VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 02:05:38 11/28/16 Mon
Author: Job Search
Subject: Thanks, Mark Madden

Saw some of the WPXI "Final Word" show and Madden made a remark about the "thankfully soon to be obsolete Tribune-Review." People lose jobs and have their lives ruined and that load thinks it's all fine and dandy.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Thanks, Mark Madden -- Low Expectations, 04:56:16 11/28/16 Mon [1]

This is exactly what a "professional bigmouth" like Madden is supposed to do. Did you expect actual COUTH?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Thanks, Mark Madden -- 1st Time Caller, 07:11:05 11/28/16 Mon [1]

You couldn't possibly be offended or surprised by Mark making inflammatory statements.

More importantly, how many extra papers did the BCT sell with him writing for them? Shouldn't he be on the DK blog?

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Thanks, Mark Madden -- Media Man, 11:03:37 11/28/16 Mon [1]

Eh. Madden's act is so past the point of being a cliche that it's not even funny. He will point to his ratings and big paycheck, and that's fine. But don't ever confuse him with a journalist. I mean, say your things to shock so people will listen; but why ever wish anything bad on an organization that does a lot of good and employs a bunch of great people?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Thanks, Mark Madden -- Survival O.T. Fittest, 14:53:44 11/28/16 Mon [1]

Now, this site has had a zillion posts saying the Pgh. Trib was no real newspaper and should be ashamed of itself, and its owner was the scum of the earth, but all the sudden Madden says he is thankful its days are numbered, and it is surprising? Granted, Mark's 166 IQ super genius radio persona -- it's the me show, not the you show -- is given to rude statements sometimes (maybe he should work for Trump), and it may be insensitive toward Trib types.

But there is an element here of ignoring the elephant room and distracting to what a bad guy Madden is. I guess he is voicing something so many others are thinking but didn't say.

The Pgh. Trib didn't make money for years and years because people didn't buy it because they didn't respect it as a good newspaper. The only reason it didn't fold long ago is that the deep pockets owner subsidized his play thing to keep it alive, and now, with him gone, it's just another business that doesn't cut it enough to stay alive, so it is gone in a couple of days.

You feel for anyone who is losing a job over this. But didn't these adults realize long ago who and what they were working for? I suppose humans can live in denial for a long time. But when you lie down with dogs, you can easily end up with fleas. The complicating factor is that those who love to work in newspapers have little choice, as the growing cyber world changed newspapers, folded many, scaled back many more, and that the news people held onto the news jobs for as long as they could because there were few to be had out there in the real world.

As for me, who notices? I never bought the Trib, even at giveaway prices, and won't miss it.

Any figures from anyone on how many more papers the PG got out of the Trib folding? Or is it too early to tell since its last edition is Wednesday (Nov. 30), right?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Thanks, Mark Madden -- Bad Papers, Bad Papers, What You Gonna Do?, 23:36:37 11/28/16 Mon [1]

Madden was no ball of fire in his PG days, I don't think.

Your points are exactly correct. Scaife bought the Greensburg Trib as a plaything and vehicle to print both opinion and hard news flavored with his political slants and as his megalomania grew, it was turbocharged after Bill Block bought the Pittsburgh Press, which Dick wanted, from Scripps-Howard and folded it into the P-G. An enraged and petulant Scaife vowed to put the P-G out of business. He spent a fortune and still didn't succeed.

Journalism awards mattered to Dick; high journalistic standards never did. He made "stars" out of mediocrities in the newsroom while talented reporters and editors not on his honor roll were often mistreated and marginalized by the awful upper level newsroom mis-managers. Sure, there was Prine and Conte, but staff with skills on that level were few and far between. The good reporters bounced at the first opportunity.

Some remaining Dick loyalists don't like hearing these things. It's hard to accept working for someone who, for all his talk about the First Amendment, cared more about vendettas than legitimate reporting. That's why so few ever took Trib Total Media seriously. It was a parallel universe where the paper itself was successful and fast-growing thanks to creative math and those giveaway prices you mention. In that universe, the P-G was always at death's door. When Dick himself passed through that door, the truth came out.

Now the "Bertetto Posse" is trying to reposition what remains. And it won't work. The P-G really shouldn't puff out their chest too much. They may have gotten a reprieve and feel satisfied being the last daily standing, but like the Trib, they shed so much of their own talent to buyouts and departures they can't afford to gloat too much. Today's P-G is a shadow of itself and barely worth buying. Look at a couple stories online and the paywall slams down. Will that continue with the Pittsburgh Trib being offered online for free?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Thanks, Mark Madden -- Two Plus Two Equals Three, 00:17:11 11/29/16 Tue [1]

Somehow i don't expect the PG to register any significant gain. And maybe so just because of the nature of the modern print market.

After all, follwing the demise of the larger Press, the sum of papers sold by the PG and Trib was pretty much fewer than the Press itself sold.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Thanks, Mark Madden -- Numbers, 00:56:25 11/29/16 Tue [1]

Obviously, it's too early to tell how many extra subscibers the P-G will pick up. But I'm sure many, many more readers are upset about losing their paper (myself included) than are going to ultimately subscribe to the P-G. It was a good paper that I will miss.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Thanks, Mark Madden -- Kristin, 04:02:14 11/30/16 Wed [1]

"But don't ever confuse him with a journalist."

And good for him!
What is a journalist? It certainly is not any thing to respect, not any more and frankly has not been for some time now. This last election proved beyond any shadow of doubt that they are criminally corrupt and morally bankrupt. At best they are simply liars and at worst, which is becoming increasingly clear, they are actively involved in misleading the public to advance their agenda.

So good for Mark Madden, who speaks his opinion without hiding behind the corrupt facade of "journalism".

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Thanks, Mark Madden -- Ed. E. Torial, 08:41:09 11/30/16 Wed [1]

Yep. Got it. All journalists corrupt. Even locally, the poor sould reporting on county govt, public meetings, etc. Got it. And good for Madden...he must have made you especially proud when he wished Ted Kennedy assassinated.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Thanks, Mark Madden -- Suspicious, 13:45:40 11/30/16 Wed [1]

I would guess you have a Trump sticker on your vehicle.

Oh, and if you hate journalism so much, why did you lower yourself to even post here?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Thanks, Mark Madden -- We're All In On It, 22:23:00 11/30/16 Wed [1]

I'd post a reply, but i'm late for the paper's daily 3:30 conspiracy meeting.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Thanks, Mark Madden -- HeyNow, 11:18:49 11/30/16 Wed [1]

Writing off mostly everybody who worked at the Trib as hacks isn't very wise. A lot of talented people did a lot of great work at the paper. As someone who worked there for more than a couple of years, I can vouch.
Was it poorly managed? Without a doubt.
Were there tons of bad decisions made? Definitely.
I have plenty of stories.
A lot of us still worked incredibly hard on a daily basis despite the many problems at the top.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Thanks, Mark Madden -- Low Fat Dieter, 10:24:45 04/05/17 Wed [1]

Just to further demonstrate what a minor league operation BCT has become, they run two columns a week from Madden.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Thanks, Mark Madden -- BurghSportsPod, 15:25:16 04/12/17 Wed [1]

I can't believe this guy is still on the air, number one in his demo, number on in his time slot, making more money than some stations on air talent combined! There are tons of guys out there podcasting that can do a better job.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Thanks, Mark Madden -- Bladed Wedge, 04:51:11 04/13/17 Thu [1]

The advantage for Madden is that his only competition is the Fan and their on-air talent is terrible. When you have people winning contests to be on a sports talk show that tells you that the bar is set real low.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Thanks, Mark Madden -- Talkie, 11:37:41 04/13/17 Thu [1]

Couldn't agree more. I swore off local sports talk radio a decade ago for podcasts, and I've never been happier. When I do hear a little bit of the Fan, it's dreadful. I'm not a fan of Madden, but he's good at the radio stuff.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.