VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 05:35:10 02/13/17 Mon
Author: Sibelius Doggy Dogg
Subject: Jen's latest cool TTM marketing idea

Nothing against these young musicians, but from a marketing standpoint this isn't exactly the way to promote the Trib brand to a broad audience.

http://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/11928333-74/recital-university-competition

Then again, maybe Jen has delusions about reaching the highbrow crowd. Well, they don't want to read it either. The most common complaint: "nothing in it."

TTM could try promoting themselves by hiring Adele or whomever to perform at the Palace Theater, Seton Hill, the Westmoreland Museum of American Art or the county fairgrounds and it wouldn't help.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Jen's latest cool TTM marketing idea -- Musical talent, journalistic non-talent, 15:43:02 02/13/17 Mon [1]

When you're giving your remaining print subscribers almost no incentive to stay in the fold, with a miniature two-section daily and a lousy Sunday product, you could sponsor a karaoke competition and it wouldn't help. And it's clear "Gardenin' Doug" Oster isn't going to keep the brand afloat.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Jen's latest cool TTM marketing idea -- Sibelius Doggy Dogg, 07:15:09 02/14/17 Tue [1]

No, it doesn't have to be sports-only. But face it, a paper struggling this badly does EVERYTHING for the reward. The PG has too much elitism beyond the sports page, another factor in its decline. The Trib doesn't do elitism or anything else very well these days. And when you offer readers a product as nondescript as the Jennifer-era print Trib and VND and for that matter, the PG you're pretty much sealing your own fate in a way classical music competitions won't fix.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Jen's latest cool TTM marketing idea -- No Good Deed..., 02:32:40 02/14/17 Tue [1]

What, it has to be sports-related like the PG Dapper Dan to count?

Don't confuse promotion and public service. The latter has its own rewards, the former is only done for the reward.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Jen's latest cool TTM marketing idea -- Child Prodigy, 05:00:32 02/14/17 Tue [1]

The execs and marketing types are obviously trying to play to the upper crust with this one.If the Trib were trying to play to their actual reader base or what's left of it, they'd have included competitions on accordion, musical saw and kazoo.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Jen's latest cool TTM marketing idea -- Self Promotion, 11:32:15 02/15/17 Wed [1]

Is there any indication this was a paid sponsorship? Newspapers often do in-kind donations for sponsorships. Was cash exchanged or did the Trib run ads at no charge to promote the event?

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Jen's latest cool TTM marketing idea -- Just Wow!, 10:41:11 02/14/17 Tue [1]

People on this board just can't help themselves. Everything is horrible. No one, with the exception of myself, has any idea what they are doing. I doubt the Trib is thinking of starting a talent competition. Why can't it be seen as "Hey, a local company is sponsoring an event that highlights the talents of local youth." You know, a positive spin. The recital was also co-presented by the Pittsburgh Symphony and Seton Hill. You need to get away from your screens and go outside. At the very least, grow up. Look up every once in awhile. You might actually learn something.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Jen's latest cool TTM marketing idea -- Wowie Zowie!!!, 18:24:02 02/14/17 Tue [1]

The TTM naming rights in this case make the issue fair game, given the circumstances and massive cuts surrounding the paper and their attempts to market what's left. That's what this forum is about, like it or not.

You might also wish to re-read the story and see if the *Pittsburgh* Symphony is identified anywhere in the copy.

http://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/11928333-74/competition-hill-seton

Right off the bat, you call out critics, tell them to "get away from their screens and go outside. And grow up." Then you mess up yourself. Just couldn't help yourself, it seems.

But thanks for playing.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Memo to Just Wow! -- Baghdad Bob III, 23:15:40 02/14/17 Tue [1]

So let's just say "Hey! Everything is wonderful in the media business in Pittsburgh! Yeah! No one ever misjudges, makes a mistake, goes down a wrong path, looks down on their readers, executes sloppy work, does something tacky or snarky or ill-advised! It's all good, man! Even as so much is going down the crapper, let's be positive! Let's stand up and cheer! Hip! Hip! Hoo-ray!!

You know, a positive spin.

Sorry. They call that PR, not journalism.

Now, you've learned something. Huzzah!

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Jen's latest cool TTM marketing idea -- Little Baghdad Bobby IV, 06:23:37 02/15/17 Wed [1]

Man, do I have egg on my face. Imagine my embarrassment that I accidentally put *Pittsburgh* instead of Westmoreland. This is exactly the type of thing I am referring to. Lets jump on every little thing and try to present ourselves as all-knowing. I don't understand the need to criticize every single move made by the Trib, PG or DK. This was an event to showcase talented high school kids in the area. The fact that any company in the region is willing to help support those efforts should be applauded. If I had to guess, I would say the Trib probably received the naming rights through trading advertising and little if any cash. That sounds like a win-win in my book. The Trib gets recognition and the kids get a chance to perform. As far as Baghdad goes, ahh, this was a PR event. I never said everything is great and both papers are perfect. They are in a changing industry trying to make it. A lot of people depend on the local papers to support their families. People in the region are thankful that these types of local events can still be held. I guess if we were talking about the PG and their sponsorship of the Steelers for , I am guessing 4-5 million a year, that is money well spent. As they continue to ask their employees for more concessions. If all the writers on this board can come up with a way to generate 40-50 million in additional revenue a year, I am sure the PG and Trib would be interested in talking to you. I mean, since you have all the answers. Huzzah!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> To Baghdad Bobby IV -- Baghdad Bob III, 09:21:18 02/19/17 Sun [1]

So tell me, all knowing son, how much does this enhance Trib Total Media's reach in the Westmoreland County market? And consider the fact they, like the PG, are selling tiny papers with so little news the physical products resemble ad supplements themselves. The content is so diminished in both as to be laughable. And the fools at TTM think having their names on classical music competitions will help? Put your feet on the ground. You say "a lot of people depend on the papers to support their families?" Maybe so, but sadly it's a helluva lot LESS people than five years ago. What you think and I think doesn't matter. Unless someone comes up with a new way to monetize newspapers, and offering people value for their money, which neither Trib nor PG are currently doing, both are history in five years, tops. TTM is not a diversified business. Block Communications makes their money from broadcast and cable. Sorry if that harsh view is hard for you to take, but all the cheerleading and gushy rhetoric in the world won't change that. Both the Trib and PG reported that Wendy Bell is offering a "positive news" site. Perhaps you could check it out, my son.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Jen's latest cool TTM marketing idea -- Lost on this Board, 11:37:54 02/15/17 Wed [1]

A post was made weeks ago stating rumors are circulating the P-G is considering a move to eliminate 2 days of print a week and gets 2 responses.

A sponsorship of a small event (which probably cost less than one thousand dollars) is what we all feel compelled to discuss?

Sad state of affairs on this board. Wake up people.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Jen's latest cool TTM marketing idea -- Found On This Board, 22:30:00 02/18/17 Sat [1]

You might consider the fact the PG comments were RUMOR and the lame Trib event actually happened and is thus fair game, like it or not. Promo events like these are part of the ongoing changes and it sounds like you are suggesting we ignore certain aspects of the Trib's rather ham handed attempts to right themselves and get out from under the "legacy" left by its former Dear Leader.

My question is do the Trib's promos affect the coverage of those areas. Seton Hill University gets an incessant number of gushy stories. If there were problems at that school, an and I'm not saying or implying there are any, would the Trib do their jobs or avoid making waves? The Trib's newsroom has yet to prove itself since all the changes have gone down.

And if the PG would announce five-day a week print, or it became clearer that was absolutely a possibility, it's safe to say there'd be far more discussion about it.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.