VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 03:08:39 10/04/17 Wed
Author: Mike84
Subject: >>
In reply to: Comicality 's message, "Honestly, there's no 'gun culture' here..." on 19:33:30 10/03/17 Tue

Obviously you're in a much better situation than me to gauge the environment with gun culture, or lack thereof, in the US.

It's just that it's been my experience that even my liberal friends from the US are largely pro-gun rights. These are guys I share a lot of views with, but we're radically different when it comes to guns. They're pro 2nd Amendment all the way. That said they do support and promote better regulation. But some of them still like and even carry their own guns.

I think it's just that America views it's own government differently to the way most other modern nations view theirs. There's a lot less trust in the US government, by Americans, so it seems, than in the UK, although we too have our dislike for our gov't too.
But we don't (at least most of us) feel we need to be ready for some armed conflict with the British government.

I think a lot of it is down to history (civil war) and old culture, where the nearest sheriff and docttor was (and still is in some cases) hours or even days away, so people needed to be armed to protect themselves and their family. That feeling and culture has lingered.

Maybe part of it is because the US is separated into individual states too, and there's the states rights VS government issue. A lot of people are worried about the federal government getting too involved in the state's business. People also don't like to have their (perceived) rights and property taken away from them too (although no one's talking about doing that), and so any hint of that happening, people tend to fight even harder to keep them. This is just my take on it as an outsider. I could be completely wrong.

Anyway, I'm not going to comment any further on this because I know gun rights in America is a controversial topic. And while I know that me and you could have a back and forth discussion on it, some others who're pro-gun here, might feel impassioned to make a response and I'm not really looking for an argument. It's up to Americans as a nation to determine what gun laws they want. :)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.