VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 00:47:33 10/10/17 Tue
Author: Cirrus
Subject: One of my favourite books is being turned into a movie and I have mixed feelings

Filming has begun on "Chaos Walking", based on the trilogy of books by Patrick Ness. (I'm not sure yet whether the film is only adapting the first book of the series, or more).

They've cast Tom Holland and Daisy Ridley in the lead roles.

"What's wrong with that?" you might ask. "Tom Holland was great in Spiderman and Daisy was good in Star Trek : The Force Awakens."

The problem is that the characters they're playing are 13.

Tom is 19. Daisy is 25.

SURELY Hollywood could find some more age-appropriate actors to play the roles? Yes, I know Tom played a 15 year old in Spiderman - but there's still a big difference between 15 and 13.

And the age of the characters is IMPORTANT. The "Chaos Walking" trilogy is a coming-of-age story. About finding out the adults in your life have their own agendas which might not have your best interests in mind. About figuring out your own notions of what's right and wrong instead of blindly following what someone else tells you.

When you're thirteen you're still vulnerable, and that's one of the factors that makes the story so tense. Older teenagers are a little bigger, a little stronger, a little more knowledgeable, a little more capable of fighting back. In the books, the forces arrayed against Todd and Viola seem to have all the power in the world.

End of rant. :)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.