VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 10:58:49 10/11/17 Wed
Author: Mike84 ()
Subject: What really bugs me the most?
In reply to: Shadow086 's message, "Actually it is religion..." on 10:46:32 10/11/17 Wed

Is that because it's part of some religion, people assume that it's legitimate. "I'm not a bigot, I'm a Christian, and it says X in the bible!"
Or, "He's not a bad person, really, it's just his religious beliefs. He doesn't hate anyone."
"She has every right to turn gay customers away because she's a Christian and its her religious freedom. to do so"

Just because it's routed in a religious book it doesn't make it any less bigoted, racist or any other 'ist'

It's like they think that religion makes otherwise awful views, acceptable and genuine.

Imagine if we used that same line of reasoning on racism. "Look, he's not a bad person, he's not a racist. He's just following his religion when he says he can't serve a black customer"
I think far fewer people would be willing to defend that type of discrimination with that rationale.

Last edited by author: Wed October 11, 2017 12:10:49   Edited 1 time.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.