VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 12:35:55 02/08/18 Thu
Author: TurtleBoy
Subject: Well yeah... but if you're not a psycho/sociopath (whichever one that is), can you honestly not act on emotions?
In reply to: Mike84 's message, "I think you were supposed to strip the emotional stuff from it." on 11:06:35 02/08/18 Thu

That's the whole "button" scenario you mentioned. If you don't know someone, and you have a button to kill them in your hand, you're more likely to be able to do it because there's an emotional separation.

In deciding what's moral, can someone even claim to separate the two with absolute honesty? You'd have to be a complete robot, free from emotion, attachment, and self-preservation.

If given a choice to save a child and a senior, I'd choose the child. If given a choice to save a well trained firefighter or two average-Joes, I might save the firefighter because then that firefighter will likely be able to save a whole lot more people... Is that placing more value on the firefighter's life? Probably, but it's being applied in a logical manner. I'd probably end up dying of guilt afterward, regardless of my decision, because emotions win every time.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.