-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 04:54:08 03/09/18 Fri
Author: Comicality
Subject: I think you might have slightly misunderstood what I was saying...
In reply to: Comicality 's message, "So, a full trailer has been released for "Lost In Space"..." on 23:53:26 03/06/18 Tue

I actually LIKE the fact that we're getting a new an updated version of "Lost In Space"! I think that's awesome! I've been excited for this since they first announced it, and I totally expect them to make changes to the idea so it's more modern and appealing to a new audience as well as grabbing the attention of its old audience. But...here's the thing...

Make no mistake...Hollywood is banking on name recognition, nostalgia, and a loyal fanbase, to make half of its investment back. If this idea was pitched to Netflix without the name "Lost In Space" behind it...it would not have been made. Their strategy is money. I'm ok with that. It's a business, and that's what businesses do. But what happened with the movie version that got it such a negative reaction was the fact that it was trying to scream, "HEY! Remember 'Lost In Space'? Here's a new one!" and at the same time screaming, "HEY! Never heard of 'Lost In Space' before? Here's something new and hip that will relate to you kids and bring us a new fanbase!" (And more money!) Unfortunately, you can't play both sides. Either target a new audience, or play to your loyal audience. Otherwise, both sides are just getting half of a movie.

I don't mind people taking liberties to make the story their own and change it up a bit. I grew up with comic books! I LOVE comic books! And a lot of the Marvel movies (Whether folks know it or not) have taken MASSIVE liberties with characters and storylines. But, for the most part, they did it right. Now...Batman has been rebooted and updated a few times. The campy Batman of the 60's was fun, the Tim Burton 80's/90's Batman was really different but...ok. I can deal with that. The Christopher Nolan Dark Knight trilogy was AMAZING in my opinion! Um...but recently...and it's not that I don't think Zack Snyder should be banned from making minor changes to the character...but Batman doesn't fire a machine gun into the chests of a group of soldiers! Batman's parents were MURDERED by gunfire! He doesn't do that. That's a fundamental part of the character's motivation. Take away his 'no kill' rule, and it makes him a different character altogether. And if you're gonna do that? Just make him a different character. Why not? Don't tell me it's Batman and then give me a Punisher movie.

Now, the point people bring up is..."Well, if it doesn't have this name, not as many people will see it?" Well...why not? Almost nobody knew who Black Panther was until last year, and that movie is breaking historic records at the box office. So did "Blade". So did "The Matrix". So did "The Crow". So did "Ghostbusters" (the original). Original movies make money all the time without being based on anything. And even then..."Divergent" made money (Just a copy of Harry Potter mixed with Hunger Games). "Hunger Games" made money (Which is just a copy of "Battle Royale"). It happens all the time. People who fund and produce this stuff are either greedy or scared. Fair enough. But it's not impossible.

Here, check out this trailer...

YOU know it's "Twilight" 2.0, and I know this is "Twilight" 2.0...but when it gets released, it'll make money. Not based on anything at all.

Even the "50 Shades" trilogy is just "Twilight" fanfiction with the names changed.

But, like I said, I'm not disappointed. Just thought it was an odd choice. So I'm curious as to where they'll go with that. Could be even better than the original. Who knows?

Just imagine if I tried to pitch "Gone From Daylight" to a studio, and they said, "It's a cool idea, but why don't we call it 'Son Of Dracula'?" Because it has NOTHING to do with Dracula! What the...?

Name recognition isn't a strategy. It's a 'trick'. It's a studio saying, "They're too dumb to figure it out. We'll be stinkin' rich by the time they catch on to the fact that they've been duped."

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.