VoyForums

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 07:51:17 03/09/18 Fri
Author: Shadow086
Subject: I think this is one more example of a bigger issue...
In reply to: Comicality 's message, "I think you might have slightly misunderstood what I was saying..." on 04:54:08 03/09/18 Fri

Hollywood is afraid to take risks right now. Sure, they'll make something new once in a while, but most movies these days are either sequels, remakes, reboots of existing franchises to get that nostalgia money, or adaptations of novels or comic books. I just don't think that we're in a time where Hollywood will take their chances with new ideas the way they used to, and that's unfortunate. Yes, "Stranger Things" was an original series and it was very good, but you have to admit they really played on the 80s nostalgia to sell it.

The name recognition 'trick' is also used because it works, and people don't really know what they want. They say "I'm tired of Batman, I want something new!", yet if you put a Batman movie and a completely original movie with new characters, they'll go see Batman. People say they want something 'different', but when you give them 'different', they complain that it's not the same. So the next time, you give them more of the same, and then they complain that it's the same and start asking for 'different' again. It's the same with adaptations. If you follow the source material to the letter, people will complain that it was a waste of time and they could just read the book/comic instead. But if you take liberties, and actually ADAPT it for a movie, people will complain about this and that detail that's different and 'not true to the source material'. I hate to say it, but comic book fans are probably the worst when it comes to doing this.

But in the end, it all comes down to money. Movies cost so much to make now that most studios aren't willing to invest in something with no guarantees of a return on their investment. Sure, no one knew what Black Panther was, but it still had a HUGE marketing budget and name recognition from the Marvel brand and their track record of most of the previous Marvel movies being very good. And when you try to make something new with new characters, some people will call it a 'copy' of an existing movie that has similar themes (like with "Divergent" :P), so it's never good enough.

At the end of the day, it's all business, and I think that the time where big studios give original content the big marketing push it needs to succeed, I think that time is behind us. Sure, someone will make the next "The Matrix", and it'll be a very good and original movie. But will Hollywood invest in promoting it so that it's as successful as "The Matrix" was? These days, I don't think so.

Let's try something. Name me one ORIGINAL movie that broke records in the last 10-15 years and isn't based on a book or comic. Because "The Matrix" was made almost 20 years ago, and all the recent movies you listed were based off novels with an existing fanbase (name recognition). It's not that there aren't original movies, they just aren't given a chance. We should all start watching indie films until Hollywood gets things right.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.