VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 02:55:00 03/10/18 Sat
Author: Comicality
Subject: Wait...am I saying this wrong? Let me know where the confusion is...
In reply to: Shadow086 's message, "I think this is one more example of a bigger issue..." on 07:51:17 03/09/18 Fri

Maybe I'm just not conveying my thoughts in a way where people get what I'm saying. So that might be my fault. I had to go back and read my original post and the one following it to make sure that I didn't say something that sounded harsh or mean or could be taken out of context. I am NOT against the change or the liberties taken to reboot 'Lost In Space'! I'm excited about it, and I'm curious as to how these things play out. It might be awesome.

Wait...did I say that it might be awesome in the original posts? Wait...yeah! That's EXACTLY what I said.

Is it the words 'odd choice' that threw you off? I actually do think it's an odd choice, but whatever. If the story is good and Netflix pulls it off, then I'll be happy to jump in and ride along in whatever direction they take me. But yeah, that was a strange choice to make in my opinion.

Wait...did I mention that I wasn't trying to be negative, and was still excited about this? Yes! That's EXACTLY what I said! What were we taking all this excess time to argue about again? :P

Now people are going to complain no matter what. That's to be expected. And Hollywood is just trying to make money, and that's a studio's main goal. I totally understand that...

Wait...did I mention that I understand studios wanting to make money and get returns on their investments? That's EXACTLY...you know what...let's just pretend those first two posts never happened.

See...movies don't have to break worldwide box office records to be successful. They just need to make a profit. The "Blair Witch Project" didn't make as much money as "Transformers: The Last Knight" or "Titanic"...but it cost almost nothing to make. And they turned a HUGE profit! So huge, in fact, that 'found footage' movies became a genre of its own afterward, created by studious who were all trying to copy Blair Witch's success. And that's the point I'm trying to make here when I talk about making your own story instead of relying on someone else's successful story and changing it to make it your own. Just a LITTLE bit more creativity on a creator's part can make it their own thing. If you want to do an adaptation, then do a loyal and respectful adaptation. If you want to branch out and make it your own...then make it your own. Why try to do both? Movies like "Ready Player One" and Stephen King's "It" might get rave reviews and make a lot of money, despite the liberties taken and changes made. But movies like "The Dark Tower" and "Ender's Game" might get backlash. What people change, alter, omit, or ignore...matters to fans of the source material. And if you're adapting that source material into film in order to appeal to the diehard fans...what do you expect?

People can make new and original content, and studios should take notice and take chances on what they believe could really work. Not just what's trending or popular right now. When the original "Halloween" came out...EVERY studio wanted to make their own slasher flick. When "Twilight" came out and made money, "Hey! Let's make Twilight...but with zombies, or aliens, or angels, or witches!" There was a time when everybody wanted to be the Matrix, or everybody wanted to be Star Wars, or when every movie wanted to be the next Pulp Fiction, or the next Conan the Barbarian, or the next Indiana Jones adventure/treasure hunt movie. But you've got to be an innovator. You've got to be the first one to take a step in a creative direction and then have a studio take a chance on you. No, that's not easy...but if it's what you want, then go for it. Why not?

At some point in time, some studio had to take a risk on an unknown Steven Spielberg, or James Cameron, or Martin Scorsese, or Ridley Scott, or Kevin Smith, or Quentin Tarantino. Somewhere, they had to say, "Ok...I'm gonna gamble on you and see what you're made of." And when their 'weird' and unorthodox and untested movie ideas made a huge return on their investment...all of the other studios followed suit and wanted to get on the bandwagon while the iron was still hot. Nothing has changed. Hollywood takes risks all the time! "Let's make a movie where Kevin Spacey is a talking cat!" WTF??? Are you kidding me? Risk taking isn't the problem. They do it when they really want to. And aren't snorting cocaine off of a hooker's breast. LOL!

That being said, I WANT to see 'Lost In Space'! I LOVE 'Lost In Space'! I am NOT complaining about 'Lost In Space'! I think taking liberties is a GOOD thing! It might be AWESOME! I don't know where that part of my rambling got lost in translation, but I...just look at what I said above again. K? I'm too tired to copy and paste it here again.

I love independent film. I grew up with it. I went to college for film. I post lesser known films that most people haven't heard of that, I think, deserve more recognition EVERY Monday night on this very board so you guys can see them and enjoy them for yourselves. I wrote a whole article on it in Imagine Magazine! (https://imagine-magazine.org/releases/volume-38/the-house-comsie-built-mmm/) But...every now and then, I see a few changes and choices made that I think are...'odd'. Not WRONG...just, kinda weird.

Sorry if that sounded like a total damnation of the entire series. (Which I haven't even seen frame one of yet) I didn't mean it that way. K?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.