-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 10:20:24 03/10/18 Sat
Author: Shadow086
Subject: I think we're on the same side here...
In reply to: Comicality 's message, "Wait...am I saying this wrong? Let me know where the confusion is..." on 02:55:00 03/10/18 Sat

I think it was the comment about "why not make your own original series?" that started it.

I know that's not what you meant to say, but that's exactly the argument some purists will use to say "It's not truly 'Lost in Space' so I don't need to see any more to know it's garbage and I hate it!". And if they HAD made their own original characters, those same purists would call it a ripoff of 'Lost in Space' and hate it anyway.

Maybe changing the robots's origin story is a strange choice, but isn't that what makes it more interesting? Change is good, change is exciting, I think we agree on that. Even if it doesn't always work out for the best.

Personally, I'd still be excited even if it doesn't turn out as good as we'd hoped. Why? Because they tried something different instead of the same thing we've already seen.

Honestly, your 'odd choice' comment just reminded me that there are some people out there who will see the trailer and already hate the show just because it's not a carbon copy of the original series. Come on, people! Just do like Comsie and give it a fair chance, you may end up liking it.

I have no problem with adaptations, but again, there will always be fans of the source material who don't understand that when you ADAPT the story to a new medium, you need to make some changes because some things don't work as well on film as they do in a book. But 'loyal and respectful' is subjective, so not everyone will agree on where the line is drawn, and that's okay. Me? I've already read the book. If I want the exact same story, word for word, I'll just read it again. If you're going to turn it into a movie, it has to be enjoyable for people who haven't seen the source material. Some diehard "fans" don't understand that because they're too busy not being happy about anything related to whatever it is they're "fans" of.

Hollywood doesn't take risks as much as they used to, you have to admit that. And it's not just risk taking, the problem is they don't TRULY take risks. Maybe creatively they do, but you never really hear about those movies because Hollywood doesn't give those really innovative and creative movies the marketing push they need to have a chance at being successful. Nope, those TV ads, trailers, constant exposure, that's for things like The Avengers, Transformers, and Star Wars. I really hate how Hollywood puts all their marketing money behind movies that will be successful anyway, instead of getting those other, more interesting films out there.

Here's how Hollywood works: make sequels and cookie-cutter movies over and over. Some studio takes a chance on something creative and different. The audience flocks to it because it wants fresh ideas. Other studios see dollar signs and start making copycat movies. What was a creative idea gets absorbed in the Hollywood machine and becomes stale and overdone. People start looking for the next new thing.

Hollywood is all about chasing fads. Sure, there's always gonna be great movies that come out of the major studios, but at the end of the day, they'll want to keep making more of the same until it stops being profitable, that's good business, I guess. Independent film is where the real creativity is, I think.

Taking liberties is a good thing, otherwise there would be no point to all those reboots and adaptations. But the line between 'acceptable' and 'unacceptable' changes and liberties is very subjective. So what YOU think is a minor change could be the end of the world to someone else. I'm sure some people are very upset that they aged up the characters in Game of Thrones, but if it doesn't affect the story in a major way, I don't really care. That's why Hollywood keeps hedging their bets and tries to upset the least amount of people. It's a no-win situation for the fans, really.

By the way, if you pitched "Gone From Daylight" to a studio, they'd want you to make some changes so they can market it as "gay Twilight" :P.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.