VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:36:03 03/25/18 Sun
Author: Mike
Subject: >
In reply to: William Drake 's message, "Sexuality verses Perversion?" on 14:28:29 03/25/18 Sun

I have no idea what gives people their own flavour of sexuality and makes them sexually attracted to various things. I don't even think psychologists have gotten to the bottom of that. Homosexuality is also still largely unsolved, and they have a lot more data for that. Although there is a strong hypothesis that homosexuality has an evolutionary purpose.

Studies led by Andrea Camperio Ciani at the University of Padova in Italy and others have found that female relatives of gay men tend to have significantly more offspring than the maternal relatives of straight men. The results show strong support for the "balancing selection" hypothesis.

The theory holds that the same genetic factors that induce homosexuality in males also promote fecundity (high reproductive success) in those males' female maternal relatives. Through this trade-off, the maternal relatives' "gay man genes," though they aren't expressed as such, tend to get passed to future generations in spite of their tendency to make their male inheritors gay.

So, like homosexuality, maybe there's some deeper biological or psychological explanation for pedophilia or ephebophilia too, to be discovered.

I don't think "mental illness" is the right term to use. At least by its clinical definition. Because most of these people function as perfectly typical individuals in every other aspect of their lives. They're police officers, doctors, teachers, judges, cleaners, and factory operators. Many of them have families, wives and kids. And many of them have never acted on their impulses. They don't meet the criteria to be clinically diagnosed as having a mental disorder. Although people do tend to throw the term "mental illness" around loosey goosey these days, and apply to it everything under the sun.

So while it is an interesting question, I don't know the answer to why some people are attracted to children or teens, any more than I know why some people have a foot fetish or enjoy some S&M. :P

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.