VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09:42:00 08/01/18 Wed
Author: Mike
Subject: The Mandela Effect

It's funny and quite a coincidence that Matt brought up the concept of the Mandela Effect, in a comment, recently. And then out of the blue, this video was just recomended to me.

For those who don't know, The Mandela Effect refers to a phenomenon in which a large number of people share false memories of past events, referred to as "confabulation" in psychiatry. Of course since this is the internet, Some have speculated that the 'memories' are caused by parallel universes spilling into our own, while others explain the phenomenon as a failure of collective memory.

In this video, several examples were given. I think some are easily explainable. Especially with movie lines that weren't originally grammatically correct. Like in Toy Story "there's a snake in my boots", anyone familiar with that line would feel like "snake in my boot" sounded more sensible. So maybe the brain automatically corrected the sentence and so we have a false memory of that line.

Others like Snow White's "Magic mirror on the wall", which everyone remembers as "mirror miŕror on the wall", I think might be explained more by cultural references to that quote.

I've never even seen that movie and yet I know that misquoted line. I've heard it "quoted" many times throughout my life.

I can't explain some of the others, although to be fair I haven't given them much thought. Those were just the quickest explanations that jumped to mind.

If anyone else thinks they have an explanation for some of the examples referred to here, let us know what you think.

The mind can be pretty weird, that we know for sure. Remember the whole blue or gold dress craze? Where half of people swore that the dress was black and blue, the other half said it was white and gold. And then the more recent one, yanny or laurel?. I actually heard both, at different times. Lol. Although the dress was always black and blue. :P

I think some of it is just down to how the mind works and memories are formed and then later recalled. Memories don't get recalled and replayed like a video clip, but more like a reenactment, and so it's not that difficult to fool ourselves with false memories.

Here's world rewnowned professor Richard Dawkins recalling a false memory that he and a fellow professor shared, when they attended an event, of something that never happened. It's enough to make you rethink the whole idea of counting on eyewitness testimony, for evidence, in courts.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.