VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09:30:09 12/12/19 Thu
Author: Mike
Subject: I finally got around to watching the two BBC shows I have been putting off, so I could binge later.

First the bad, then the good.

War Of The Worlds.

It was as bad as I had heard, unfortunately.

There was really nothing redeemable about it, for me. Mundane acting, poorly written and produced. Even the effects were second rate.

I gave up on it after the second episode. I'm really disappointed because I am a big fan of the book, and I have enjoyed every other adaption that I have seen. I really wanted this to be good, and it just... meh.

And the BBC were said to be going back to the original source material, but they didn't. So they lied. There are lots of changes. And that would have been forgivable, if it was well written and produced.

I give it a 2 out of 5

His Dark Materials

Now for the good, or excellent, because I have fallen in love with His Dark Materials.

I binged the first 6/8 episodes yesterday, and each episode just gets better.

I have read the books, so I am familiar with the story, and the show has done the books, and the author, Philip Pullman, justice.

It's really addictive, I want to see the last two episodes so much, but the next one doesn't air until the 15th, which sucks. At least it's only 3 days away. :P

(It's amazing to think that the BBC, who have made both shows, got one so right, and the other so wrong.)

What is His Dark Materials about?

Well, an epic fantasy. It's about an orphan girl called Lyra who lives in another world. One similar, but not quite the same as ours. She lives in a parallel England, where all humans have animal companions called "daemons," which are manifestations of the human soul.

Humans and daemons are entwined from birth, if one hurts, so does the other. If a child's daemon dies, so does the child. When the child reaches maturity, the daemon chooses the shape of a particular animal and it remains that way permanently. Until that point it can change shape.

In this parallel world, Lyra's best friend, Roger, is kidnapped. Lyra’s quest to find Roger leads her to uncover a sinister plot of a secret organization, encounter extraordinary beings and protect dangerous secrets.

There are, or will be, other worlds involved too, over time. Including our world, and the character Will Parry, who I really enjoyed reading in the books.

Will is a boy from another world (our world, in modern day London), whose fate becomes intertwined with that of Lyra's. I can't wait to see what they do with him in the show.

I give it a 4.5 out of 5.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.