VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 04:48:01 01/15/20 Wed
Author: Comicality
Subject: Imagine Question For 1/15

The mask...

There are certain things that we may do and say in front of our close friends that we would never do or say in front of our parents and family members. There are things that we can do and say in front of our family members that we probably wouldn't feel comfortable about doing around our co-workers or classmates. Most of us compartmentalize our behavior around other people, simply because it's recognized as an important part of our civilized, social, etiquette. And the ones that don't, or seem to be lacking a certain 'filter' with their speech and their actions, are seen as being rude, vulgar, or embarrassing. And that's where the mask becomes necessary.

But is it healthy to wear a mask around others? Is it ok to judge others on who they are? Masks only serve one purpose...and that is to hide behind something that isn't real. We hide our feelings, we suppress our anger, we lie about our sexuality, we cover up our mistakes, and we pretend that everything is going swell when we're really hurting and feel like shit inside.

And yet, there can't just be total anarchy when it comes to dealing with one another in public, right? There are certain rules and structures to social behavior that have to be obeyed if we're going to get along. You don't shout 'FIRE' in a crowded theater, you don't talk loudly in a library, you don't curse around a bunch of kindergarten kids, and you don't pull your meat out and start masturbating in the middle of aisle 7 at your local Wal-Mart! Shouldn't there be certain norms that are accepted by all?

I don't want someone that I care about to suffer and stress themselves out over hiding their sexual preferences from me for fear that they'll be judged and persecuted for it. But...on the other hand, I don't want them talking about bumps on their penises that they got from raw banging a gay prostitute two weeks ago in front of youth group from the local church either. There has to be a line.

Where is yours?

On a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being completely 'hush hush', and 10 being 'I say whatever I want, whenever I want, the rest of the world be damned') how honest would you say you were in your daily life? What parts of your life, your feelings, your attractions, your dreams, do you share with the people around you? And what parts of your life do you keep secret, find inappropriate, or may even be ashamed of? Give it some thought, and share your ideas with us. I'd really love to know what you think about this! :)

Anonymous replies are always welcome, of course. And I will be adding my own answer this weekend too! Let's see if we can get 5 responses on this one!

Talk to ya soon! And thanks in advance!

If you guys want to add your two cents to any one of the 'Q & A' sessions for future issues of Imagine Magazine, we'd LOVE to hear your input and your personal stories on the forum! Feel free to attach your screen name, or do so anonymously! Drop by "The Shack Out Back" forum on the 1st and 15th of every month for a brand new topic of conversation! We look forward to hearing more from you! :)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.