VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 17:53:07 03/13/21 Sat
Author: JakeEldon
Subject: Best Book I've Read All Year: The Absolutist by John Boyne

The Absolutist

This book is absolutely amazing. I had to take a break from reading it to recommend it to you all. John Boyne is a famous author in his own right for works like The Boy in Stripped Pyjamas but I didn't know that several of his stories feature gay protagonists and are romantic.

Its very likely that several of you have already read this wonderful book considering how famous and successful Boyne is but if you haven't, you owe yourself the opportunity to be taken in by the characters and places that it takes you.

It is a very sad story about a World War One veteran who fell in love with another boy named Will, whom he served with. It is now 1919 in the story and something has gone very, very wrong for our protagonist Tristan. He is alone and the love of his life is dead.

Tristan promised Will that after the war was over he would deliver letters that Will had received from his sister who lives in Norfolk. So the story draws us in with this central premise of confronting Tristan's grief and guilt over the death of Will. Early on in the novel an old man in a pub tells Tristan that it is obvious he is filled with guilt and that he hates himself. Why?

The mystery is worth reading and makes a very compelling drama.

The characters sucked me in immediately and seemed immensely believable. Tristan is funny and relatable. He likes to imagine the backstories of strangers that he meets in his head, imagining all kinds of details about them based upon his initial impression. Will is great too with how contemplative and dour he can be while also being optimistic and brash.

You're just left wishing that things were different for Tristan and Will, but it isn't really a story about happily ever after.

If you have recommend books that are similar, I'd love to hear recommendations. The caliber of writing that Boyne brings to the narrative is near the top of his field in my opinion.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.