VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 12:51:12 03/14/21 Sun
Author: Mike
Subject: Some more recommendations..
In reply to: JakeEldon 's message, "Best Book I've Read All Year: The Absolutist by John Boyne" on 17:53:07 03/13/21 Sat

I'm a big reader.. well, listener, recently. I listen to audible every day. I buy about half a dozen books a month. Quite a few have been LGBT.

I'll list some below that have stood out for me, and would recommend a read. :)

Here's the first book, and also, really anything by this author. I've enjoyed all but one book by him (never got into Bear, Otter and the Kid series, unfortunately). And I'm just about at the end of his archive.

The House in the Cerulean Sea

Our main character, Linus Baker is a quiet man leading a quiet life. He’s a caseworker for the Department in Charge of Magical Youth, where he always follows the rules to a “t.”

He doesn't question authority and does what's expected of him: nothing more, nothing less. Other than that, he lives with a cranky cat and his music to keep him company. It’s a lonely existence but he doesn’t know anything else.

And then one day he is summoned by Extremely Upper Management and sent on a top secret assignment: to investigate the Marysas Orphanage, located on a remote island. The children that live there are supposedly unlike any Linus has ever seen—dangerously magical, apparently—and there’s a rumor one could bring about the End of Days. He is also urged to investigate the home's master, Arthur Parnassus, for reasons no one explains to him.

When Linus arrives, he is shocked by what he finds, in that these children ARE different.

Sure, they have the potential to be dangerous (particularly one), but they have the same needs of all children—to be loved and cared for, to be taken seriously, and to have their dreams nurtured. All of this definitely is happening thanks to the enigmatic Arthur Parnassus.

What happens when a man who has always followed the rules and been led by his brain suddenly has his heart opened? What will that mean for his life, his job, and the children?

This is a wonderful book about our tendency to fear what we don’t understand, the magic that love can do, and the different meanings of family.

This next one left a big impact on me. It's been two years since I read this one. I've read many books since, but I haven't forgotten this one. I don't think I ever will

They Both Die at the End. By Adam Silvera

I don't know how to review this without spoiling it. I don't want to give anything away. But I loved this one, and "History Is All You Left me" by the same author. He's also written another one, Infinity Son. I never really got into that one. But the first two I mentioned are definitely worth a read.

In The Darkness, by Luke Smitherd

And finally. This is an author I've been reading for a while. He's not a LGBT author, and his work's kind of creepy, strange and unique. It might not be for everyone but he's written some really good, unique, sort of sci-fi horror stories. I'd recommend avoiding The Stone Man, by him. The Story's OK enough but it's his most hyped story, and yet I wasn't blown away by it.
"Kill Someone" by him is probably my second favourite of his work.

There are hangovers, there are bad hangovers, and then there’s waking up inside someone else’s head.

And that’s exactly what happens to bartender Charlie after a night out in Coventry. He’s naked and in a very dark room. The walls are pliable and the floor has a strange quality to it: firm but not cold. Then a screen lights up throwing light into the room. He can now see a view of a bathroom and its as if he’s seeing it through the eyes of another person. Is this real? Is it a dream? Is he dead and this is what the afterlife comprises? We are left to ponder on this as Charlie begins to identify that he’s inside the head of a girl called Minnie. He knows this as when he talks she hears a voice inside her head and after initially freaking out she calms down enough to talk back to him.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

• Nice! I can't say that I've heard of this author before. I might have to check his stuff out some time soon. (NT) -- Comicality, 17:32:21 03/14/21 Sun

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
    Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
    Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    * Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.