VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]
Subject: Pls share experience on T5

Author:
Aryo
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12/29/04 Wed

I've already had T2 for one and a half year. I am thinking about upgrading to T5. Could anyone share his/her experience with T5 and give me some advice if I should upgrade to T3 or T5 ?
I heard many comments and reviews that T5 is not a major improvement from T3. Some even says that T3 is better.
Thanks

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Pls share experience on T5

Author:
Mark Evans
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12/29/04 Wed

My brother has a T5 and I have a T3. I have to say that the T5 is a great device. There have been mixed reactions on it but I for one like it. The large screen without the slider is so much better. It seems quicker than the T3, plus consider sll the memory that you get. A well deserved upgrade and I for one will be going out of my way to get one in the New Year.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Pls share experience on T5

Author:
Steve
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12/31/04 Fri

I have had mine for a few days now from an M515 its great hte bluethooth and large screen and fast processor are very good A++

Author:
Jakob
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/28/05 Mon

I have a hate/love relationship with mine. While I love its slick design and how it feels, as well as the great screen, fast processor et c I am getting constantly annoyed at its instability. It crashes too often, often after synching, and I do not feel that I can trust it, for example when travelling. It has happened, on occasions, that it has locked and only a hardware reset has fixed it and resulted in loss of data. But what is even worse is that the P1 patch resulted in the same, despite me following their instructions to the point, so if you patch it you will lose settings for ZLauncher and other applications.
Also, get a case, I have Krusell case (www.executivepda.com are great when it comes to accessories!) and it makes it so much easier to handle, especially when playing MP3s, just attach it to your belt and plug in the headphones, start PocketTunes and you got an iPod (there's an iTunes skin for PT) in your PDA!

Author:
Jason Harrison
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12/30/04 Thu

Many people complained about the T5 when it first came out. There were many negative comments made but I've noticed a lot of people are expressing different views now, many of them positive.

Author:
reluser
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/01/05 Sat

There is a big difference between the T5 and the rest of the Tungsten devices and thats the screen size and I also feel its much faster.

Author:
John Richards
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/02/05 Sun

I am sticking with the T3. Cannot see any reason to justify paying out for a wifi-less device when the T3 can do what I want it to do.

Author:
Dom, A Palm Addict - Addict!!!!!!!!!! are you????????
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/02/05 Sun

I think wherever you read you will get a mixture of good and bad comments. I like the look of the T5. There is so much you can do with it. My advice go to Staples or CompUSA and play around with them. See how they feel. The T5 is a great device and so is the T3 however until you have first hand experience of both devices you will never be able to make your mind up.

Author:
Aryo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/04/05 Tue

Thanks for sharing Guys. I got a chance to try T5 last week. Evrything seems great to me, except for one thing. I don't like the lag in graffiti. I am pretty quick in writing Graffiti and the fact that it lags kinda let me down.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Pls share experience on T5

Author:
Malcom C
[ Edit | View ]

Where is the lag? I tried it and it worked fine. Is this a bug in certain devices?

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Pls share experience on T5

Author:
Aryo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/06/05 Thu

The unit that I tried is not mine, it is a demo unit in the store. When I wrote two letters in the graffiti area, the first letter showed up after I finished with the 2nd letter. This is the lag that I found. Please check yours and hopefully if it is just a bug in certain devices.

Author:
Christiaan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/26/05 Tue

I tryed to get myn to do that but no problems, i think the T5 is much better! my friend has the T3 and it is a lot slower, doesn't have drive mode, and most of all the T5 has a much longer battery life i can watch 3 movies while on the T3 1 if you are luky!

Author:
J Dearing
[ Edit | View ]

I have both the T3 and the T5. If you intend on using WiFi, go for the T5. The internal memory means you can probably get away without an SD card (which you should have for the T3), and the standard flip flap does not interfere with the card. The T5 does not have a voice recorder, which could be a problem. It also does not use the universal connector, so there are fewer addons (Power-to-go and the keyboard I have for the T3 will not work with the T5). The T3 has the speaker on the front, so you can turn the volume down on the games or MP3s. The T3 seems a more solid unit, with the metal case and the springy stylus is easier to get out of the unit. It's also more compact for many of the applications that don't use the big screen. I'm hoping there will be a unit coming that combines the good features of the T3 (voice recorder and hi-res screen), the T5 (internal memory, hi-res screen) and the TC (WiFi) into one unit.

Author:
Jabber
[ Edit | View ]

J Dearing that's a great write up. I have a T3 but I would like to go for a T5.

Author:
Big M
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/06/05 Thu

the t5 is a wonderful Palm device. I wonder why so many negative comments were made initially?

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Pls share experience on T5

Author:
Daniel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/10/05 Mon

I believe many people spent a few moments with the T5 specifically looking for faults or they were just too focused on what is not there rather than appreciate all that is in there. I have a T5 and I love it.

Author:
John Bergeaut
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/13/05 Thu

I just came back from COMPUSA with a new T5. It's charging and I expect to post my thoughts this evening. First thought - LOVE IT!

Author:
Benji
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/14/05 Fri

I am not a fan of the T5. palmOne could cram so much more and make this the perfect device. Any takes on the T6?

Author:
Jim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/18/05 Tue

Initially I was put off by the negative T5 comments but I see more and more people like the T5. So I cannot make up my mind.

Author:
Asif
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/19/05 Wed

I do not have one but did consider. Tlarge screen and wifi are attractive options.

Author:
Ryan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/19/05 Wed

The T5 is the best model yet its great it has wifi abilities.

Author:
JamesBM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/28/05 Fri

I got the chance to compare my new T5 (400Mhz) with a PocketPC (200Mhz) with ScummVM and a game (Day of the tentacle) and the pocket has much better support for sound, my T5 hangs and sounds choppy while the pocketpc runs perfectly. since that Im reading specification on the internet but I can't find why my T5 can't beat that pocket in performance.... :(. Im also a little bit disappointed becouse the gameboy emulators por palm can't manage the sound without losing speed. I guess The T series is more to office aplication thant game support, and doesent have a good sound support, but will be nice to be able to play in my free time.

Author:
Thomas Eusuff
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/29/05 Sat

I agree palm devices are mostly for communication and productivity whilst Pocket PC's can handle gaming power.

Author:
Raymond Chiu
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/30/05 Sun

I have a T5. I like it very much. The memory is huge (64MB Memory + 160MB InternalCard). Both can retain your data even when the battery level is zero. T5 can act as a USB Drive when you select "Drive Mode" and plug it into the USB port of a PC. It has a built-in CJKOS for Chinese OS with Handwriting recogition. The battery is larger (1400mAH?) than T5 (1100mAH?). These are superior to T3.

It's a good Business/Office device. I found many built-in softwares are very useful. Here are some:

It has a programe "Favorite" served as a alternate Launcher. Any file/URL/Programe (either in Memory or InternalCard or on SDCard) can be added as a shortcut to the list.

Also, "Media" can handle VCD mpeg DIRECTLY with sharp and flurent movies but it doesn't utilize the full screen. The sound produced by the speaker at the back is very lound.

It also has "Docuemnt to Go v7" for handling Office Document, "Real Player" for MP3, "Media" for photo slide show and MPEG1/ASF playback, "Files" for handling files between InternalCard and SDCard. "SMS" for sending SMS message through mobile phone by BlueTooth/Infrared. "Web" & "VersalMail" for the internet.

The drawbacks are:
No sound recording. A little longer and heavier to other Palm devices. A new speical connector. I also experience a little time-lag in Graffiti2.

I hope my T5 experience may help you.

Author:
Etiettene
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/30/05 Sun

If your going to upgrade go the whole hog and go for the T5 for extra memory, nice screen and it's faster too.

Author:
David Peterson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/31/05 Mon

I have a T5 and I think its great. It's instrumental with what I do and I had a T3 and couldn't resist it.

Author:
Hans H. Siegrist
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/31/05 Mon

Having moved from a Palm Vx to a Pocket PC I recently returned to the Palm World using a T5. Apart from some idiosyncrasies like e.g. its faulty Outlook conduit which I had to replace by Chapura's Pocket Mirror, it works flawlessly.

Cheers,
Hans

Author:
Alberto
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/08/05 Tue

I had 2 T3s robbed.
Now I have a T5 and Im really enjoying it. Id like to have the voice recorder, but the internal card and better battery are making up my mind its a great device.

Go on for it!

Author:
GuessWho?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/09/05 Wed

Don't worry - nobody will steal your T5!

Author:
Antoine/d-roC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/09/05 Wed

I dang near forgot about this thread. Since I have had a T5 since Sat, I will share my thoughts. And yes, I would take the T5 over the T3 citing memory and battery life as the biggest reasons.

Ok, I came from a TE that was a replacement for my old Z71. Knowing that I was going to a T5, most of the software on my TE was already updated to the T5 compatable versions. The only thing is with the T5, you HAVE to install everything fresh for best results. I also synced one app at a time just to make sure that I could identify any software that would be ewww. Of course, I didnt do that in the beginning. Because my laptop isnt working, I installed files using the backup that I keep updated on my SD card for my TE.

Suffice to say that the first sync was not well. Facer had an issue and that is being worked on. Other than that, things are solid. BT to my phone was easy, though the default settings for Cingular were not correct. VersaMail and BLazer just work. Nothing fancy. Would be nice if Blazer supported JScript better, but it does well. Memory is great. At the moment, the Internal is just sitting there free. My 1GB card is nearly full, but that is mostly music. Overall, I am quite pleased with the T5. Yes, upgrading with it means that you have to treat it better. But once that is settled, things are nice.

Oh, the T3 is good if you want the slider, vibe alarm and voice recorder, but really, the T5 is nicer to my uses.

Author:
E
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/15/05 Tue

I got my T5 for X-mas! (My wife loves me and wants me to be organized) I had a Handspring a loooong time ago, and i love this! I'm still tinkering with some of the stuff... cannot get blazer to work, but i love!

Author:
Hana
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/16/05 Wed

T5 is lovvvveeeeelllly I have had it for three weeks and I love it. My biggest gripe is the stylus, apart from that no problem.

Author:
Mark
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/17/05 Thu

Hana please share your experiences, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Author:
Will Barnes
[ Edit | View ]

Get yourself a memory card and a wifi card and buy the T5. You never know you may not need a memory card. Depends on what you want it for.

Author:
David Meheur
[ Edit | View ]

I like my T3 I wouldn't part with it. However ask yourself what you really want from a Palm device. If you can give us some indication then we may be able to help.

Author:
Paul Thornton-Smith
[ Edit | View ]

Has Sammy ever used a T5? I would be very interested to hear what he has to say. I've just picked up a 600.

Author:
Mark
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/18/05 Fri

It is one of his favorite Palm devices.

Author:
Joe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/20/05 Sun

I am a palm addict and I have had the Zire 71, T3, and the T5. I just sold my T5 on ebay and bought a Zire 72. The T5 is a waste of money don't buy it. It is slow, and its just not worth the 399 that someone (not me) would pay for it. I bought it on ebay for 320. The T3 is basically a T5 but a whole lot better. I didn't go back to the T3 which I contiplated because of the screen but I went to the Zire 72 because my cousin had one and it was pretty nice. I would wait till Palm comes out with something with wi-fi and something a little faster. Don't waste your time with the T5 you'll just end up selling it. Hope this helps those wanting to buy one. I read all the reviews and ignored them, don't do what I did. Just wait.

Author:
Tim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/26/05 Sat

I've had a T5 for about a month now. Switched over from the Pocket PC side of things. Got tired of having my device run out of power and loose all the data and applications I'd installed. So far I've not even come close to running the battery on my T5 down, let alone loosing data. I've had a few goofy things happen, but I attribute all of them to growing pains of moving to a new device and getting it working the way I want.

My biggest complaint so far has been with PalmOne and not with the device itself. It seems like the T5 was released before PalmOne was ready to support it. I've called their support line three times now for various issues, and they are 0 for 3 at this point.

No help answering questions about bluetooth compatability between the T5 and my Motorola v551. In fact, told me something completely wrong and insisted Motorola would have to write the bluetooth driver for the T5. I asked them if they could tell me how to find the MAC address of the bluetooth adapter in the T5. They told me it couldn't be done. Five minutes later, with the help of another techie at work, I'd accomplished what PalmOne assured me was impossible. I guess I have a problem with people telling me what I can't do. I honestly believe the so called support tech didn't even understand what it was I was asking for. I've also had problems with using the quick install and transfer programs to transfer Windows Media Video (WMV) files to the palm. There is a problem that causes the transfer, or installer programs to crash when trying to convert the files to something the Palm understands. Their support person was completely clueless as to what I was trying to do, and didn't even understand that just transfering the file directly to the memory store on the Palm would not help as the palm media player couldn't play it.

As for the T5 itself, I've no real complaints that I've not had about any of the devices I've ever owned.

Author:
Andy McCabe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/26/05 Sat

Tim great comments, very useful.

Author:
Shawn P
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/28/05 Mon

It's a simple answer, if you want more memory, large screen and no slider, go for the T5. If you want compact then the T3 is the best choice.

Author:
Edwin Sneller
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/02/05 Wed

The T5 is the best PDA yet. Great screen and all that RAM make it worth the money. I highly recommend it.

Author:
Chris
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/03/05 Thu

I wanted a PDA that would sync with my mac apps and that would keep me organised in my new job as a Resuscitation Officer at a busy NHS hospital. Well I would have to say that I have had it now for about a month and have found it to be perfect so far, I was bought a palm ketboard to go with it and its more like having a laptop than a PDA, especially in landscape mode. After a little trickery I was able to download the correct software from Apple and it now syncs with ical etc. Its flash mem is a great boon if I was to run out of power i will not lose everything. I know I am not using it to its fullest yet I need to find some UK medical software for it and I will be thrilled but so far I would and have recommended it to many.

Author:
Harpeet
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/03/05 Thu

The T5 is brilllllllllll!!!! What more can I say????

Author:
bruceathome
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/06/05 Sun

I've been having a ball with mine! I've heard lots of negatives about it, but in two weeks of heavy use it has never crashed, and I have been utterly happy with it!

Author:
ignar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/13/05 Sun

I've had T5 for about 3 weeks. Like it so far. I didn't get one until lately since 1)I wanted to wait until software issues taken care of by PalmOne and/or developers, and 2) with the lack of some features and innovation, I figured $400 was too much. I paid $299 after mail in rebate and now I think it worths the money. I still have conflicts with some programs, but overall it's functioning reliably and I love its small size.

Author:
andrew
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/14/05 Mon

hi, just like to know a little more:

Battery life

- how long does your T5 last if you use it for a couple of minutes every day when fully charged? (e.g. datebook, address, memo etc).

Mp3

- can you play Mp3 with it.
- how long does it last

3rd party apps
- so far any problems with 3rd party apps? e.g. those written for 3.x , 4.x

Crashes
- what are the situations that cause it to crash. I've read reviews that it crashes very often, for rather common usage situations e.g.:
- while running 3rd party apps?
- basic handheld operations (e.g. hotsync, copying files to handheld)?
Does the above happen in your t5?

bluetooth blues
- Have you managed to get the bluetooth functionality working? any problems?

thanks and warm regards

Author:
PS
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/15/05 Tue

Hi

I am onto my second T5 in three weeks - I returned the first. While I love the form factor and appreciate the functionality, I could not recommend it to anyone as it crashes daily. I have had this experience with both units I have had.

The main culprit seems to be the browser, Blazer. Certain things work in portrait, but crash in landscape. Exiting Blazer by using the home soft key also seems to cause problems. In case it matters, this all relates to browsing using the palmOne WiFi card.

I have had a couple of problems syncing, but these seem to have gotten better with the second unit.

I have had no problems with bluetooth. In fact, I would call its operation seamless.

FYI, I have not installed any third party programs.

I regret buying the T5 and am considering attempting to get a refund.

Author:
DrM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/16/05 Wed

I think a lot of people are writing reviews who have never used the T5. I started with an old Palm III, then an M100, then and M105, then a Zire 71, then a T5, then back to a T3, so I know of what I speak.

I kept my T5 for one week. I was EXTREMELY annoyed with the new file system, which greatly slows down the unit. You can't tell at all that the processor is as fast as it is, because my Palm III was faster!! Rebooting takes FOREVER (3-5 minutes) compared to previous models, and was quite frequent (2-3 times daily). Nearly all of my 3rd party applications (which is quite extensive after all these years) were rendered unusable by the T5. I asked tech support, and their repeated mantra was "simply delete all the 3rd party applications that cause it to crash", which I do not find acceptable. I also got frequent crashes with Documents to Go, which comes on the T5 installation CD!! Honestly, did they do ANY product testing before releasing this instant dinosaur?

As for the "Drive" function, a 1GB SD card is 1000 times more convenient and much easier to access than their sequestered drive memory (not to mention much larger). What a lame idea.

I must say, tech support was very good about refunding the unit when I sent it back. I have since switched to a T3, which is GREAT. I have been happy ever since, but I think I will go Pocket PC (the dell x50 is making me drool). Hope this helps!

Author:
Doug Joe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/16/05 Wed

I have had my T5 for 6 months. It is extremely sensitive to what is loaded in it's memory. I find that not only programs, but files cause it to crash.

I am getting tired of unloading and reloading programs and files to keep the T5 stable.

The upside of this is as I load 3rd party programs, I learn if the software is written for Pocket PC and I re-thinking of alternatives.

I love the non-volatile memory.

Documents-To-Go may also be a problem.

The bluetooth Stowaway keyboard's function is spotty at best. I keep getting disconnects.

The Wi-Fi function is not fully stable.

It is probably time to consider migrating to a pocket pc, having been a palm fan since the original Pilot.

Doug

Author:
Moe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/17/05 Thu

I have had my T5 for about a month now and love it. I haven't experienced any more crashes than I did with my T|T. No problems with Documents to Go (Version 7.003 Premium) as others have mentioned. Don't want or need Wi-Fi. Overall the screen is beautiful. Even tiny fonts are clear enough to read easily for me. I did have to delete Super Names since it is not compatible with the T5 (yet) and BackupMan (although it has since been updated but crashes are still possible according to their website). I will say that when I moved to the T5 I researched all of my third party programs to make sure that they were specifically compatible and just did not install those that were not. I do not like Graffiti 2 but after using G1 so long, I am sure that I will just have to re-train myself. As far as the speed of entry using G2, I have found that the letters appear far faster if I uncheck the preference to "Show Graffiti Strokes" in Preferences->Input. Overall, I am very pleased with the T5 and do not regret purchasing it one bit.

Author:
markm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/17/05 Thu

I have had my T5 for about 3 months now and have had almost no trouble with it. The only exception with with bluetooth keyboard support but I am convinced that this was a vendor problem and not the fault of Palm at all.

I also own a Dell Axim 30 (as I am a developer and it is stoopid easy to create software for PocketPC as opposed to the Palm OS). In my opinion the T5 is much better. From a user standpoint, eveything is harder to do from a PocketPC. The Palm is simply better laid out from a user interface standpoint. The only thing that is better on the Dell is developer support. If I didn't use the axim to debug software, I wouldn't use it at all. And it has wifi and bluetooth.

I can't speak to wether a T5 or a T3 is better but before I got the T5 I had the original T and the transition to the T5 was an improvement. Maybe check out the specs on battery life - if I remember the T5 have battery life improvements on the T3.

I have the wifi stick but I find I primarily use bluetooth and very seldom use wifi. Most of the time when I have wifi I have my laptop so I don't see the point of browsing the web on the palm.

[> Subject: Re: Pls share experience on T5 - alternative

Author:
Hellene
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/18/05 Fri

Try the Tapwave Zodiac 2 beats the T5 and T3 by a mile and a half. I upgraded to it from a T3 so I know...

Author:
istara
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/18/05 Fri

I have had two T5s, and have found the on-off button problematic on both. It is not a massive issue, but sometimes I have to press it several times to get it to turn either on or off.

Author:
Gadi Segall
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/20/05 Sun

I've recently bought a new T5. It replaced two M500 I've had before. I use it mainly for Excel, Date book and Contacts, but I also installed some other applications
(Contacts Pro, Date Bk5, Backupman, Inwatch, Date Mate, Undupe etc). Backupman 1.52 doesn't work at all !!!!

I've been using the T5 about 10 days. So far I've performed more soft resets that I had during last 3 years with my old devices.

The new T5 uses NVFS. NVFS may help to prevent the loss of Data if the battery runs out, but NVFS has bugs and compatibility problems with many programs written for Palm OS.

Buy Zire 72 Instead or try to get a T3 before PalmOne ceases to sell it.

Author:
disappointed long-time Palm user
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/22/05 Tue

My experience after a week with a new Palm Tungsten T5 sadly matches Gadi's - more resets in the last week with the Tungsten T5, than the preceding 5 years with my Palm V and Tungsten|E. I was wearing the reset pin down until I installed Crash Pro. Crash Pro has no impact on the frequency of T5 crashes, but it does reduce the need to use the reset pin.

The Blazer Web browser and Palm Wifi card combo seem prone to crashing. The Web browser will also crash if entering a URL with CIC JotComplete installed. I had to disable WordComplete.

It seems that between 25-50% of Palm Desktop syncs result in a crash, typically after Palm Desktop says it's completed and the Tungsten T5 says it's "cleaning up".

I haven't been able to get _ANY_ backup program to successfully complete including BackupMan 1.52 for which I have a license, as well as the demos of BackupBuddy VFS 3.05 and TealBackup 1.11, -- all three of which are updated for the Tungsten T5, and all three of which still have warnings on their websites about unresolved problems with NVFS on the T5 (and Treo650). I have also tried first doing a warm reset (reset pin with up key held until Palm logo appears) in order to disable all extensions: ClipPro II, FindHack, Dimmer, CICJotComplete, NeatFreak and then trying all of the above backup programs -- no difference.

The T5 as card-reader is a neat idea, but in practive you have to have the custom T5 USB cable with you, which is as big as the T5. BoxWave makes a smaller version though. The T5 screen, although bright-enough indoors, is noticeably DIMMER than the Tungsten|E's. The T5 screen also has a narrower viewing angle -- brightness drops off more quickly as your view changes from direct on. Paradoxically the T5 can't be dimmed as much as the T|E can (using Dimmer), which can be annoying reading in bed.

It's been 5 months since the introduction of the T5 -- there is clearly some sort of problem with Palm OS 5.4 and VNFS. My quandry is this: will Palm address the T5 crash problem with an OS patch? Or will the T5 become an evolutionary dead-end like the Tungsten T2 and Tungsten C? How much longer is it reasonable to wait? I'm about ready to return my T5 for a smaller-screened, brighter Tungsten E that doesn't crash.

Author:
Loyal Since the Palm Pilot Personal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/13/05 Wed

"Disappointed long-time Palm user" and Gadi have had identical, painful T5 experiences to mine. Having been an avid Palm user ever since the original U.S. Robotics Palm Pilot Personal, I am nonplused to find that PlamOne has put forth a product that they tout as their flagship model, yet is clearly still a work in progress. (Did we just serve as a test group for the rumored T6?) I would return my T5 now, but I like the fixed long screen and the light weight of the unit - two characteristics I have been hoping to see from Palm for a long time. However, the endless crashes render this time efficiecy tool a liablity for time wasting. I've had mine for three weeks and have invested countless hours into trying to tame it. Let's face it; It was not ready for the sales floor, when PalmOne released it to their loyal market. Perhaps PalmOne will reward us with a free upgrade to a refined next generation model (Remember the Palm m500 & m505 class action suit?). For your edification, I have learned the following from C.E. Steuart Dewar, the founder of Pimlico Software, Inc.: "It's actually a very serious flaw(s) in the PalmOne DataManager patch that runs on the T5(and all newer PalmOne devices). The architecture of these device is RADICALLY diferent, although this is (a) not apparent to the average user, and (b) PalmOne NEVER mentions this issue... The fact is that the newer PalmOne devices use proprietary PIM apps and databases instead of the standard PalmSource PIM apps and database that appear on all other Palm OS devices and which have been a standard for some eight years. Of course, this would be a disaster, except that PalmOne came up with the idea of having a huge patch to the Palm OS that would instantly detect any attempt to access the standard Palmsource PIM app databases and re-reroute that command to their patch which would then attempt to "look" as if the standard PalmSource databases were really there. This mechanism, like many kludges, sort of works, but not perfectly. The problem is that on the newer T5 and Treo-650, these devices also have NVFS memory, and the kludge just does *NOT* work properly under these conditions and PalmOne NEVER tested this properly" So, there you have it. Have we been had?

- Loyal Since the Beginning

Author:
Antoine/d-roC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/13/05 Wed

Sad to hear about your experiences, but I too noticed that some programs had an issue. Those that were updated do not have that issue. My guess is that the E2 will not have as many issues as the T5 as it really was the first crack at NAND RAM for palmOne. I would suggest taking a look at the programs listing at palmfocus.com for those programs that have been tested to work fine on the T5. Most do (especially the ones written correctly). Others do need an update here or there as some were tailored to the T3 and the PalmOS changed a bit since then.

As for losing your confidence in the PalmOS becasue of this. You shouldnt be so quick. Yes, palmOne took some leaps and tripped a few times, but they still make a better solution that others out there (I conceed that hardware might not be a good example there).

So yea, I am happy with my T5. I would like some better overall performance, but overall I am pleased. The E2 likewise is a very ncie device. The chippy-ness of it versus the T5 gives me some confidence that there may one day be a patch for the T5 that addresses some of the NAND RAM issues (much like the patch for teh Sprint Treo 650 did). I guess that just makes me a touch more patient or willing to take punishment ;-)

Author:
li
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/21/05 Thu

I need help. I bought a Tungsten T5 through internet.on Febuary. I am too scare to open. I am a total computer blank. I bought a software Dr. Drug from internet. I start realize I have problem download. Now My Tungsten T5 is black out and my techenique support is expired. I would like to find a local repair store near Hayward, California area or BAY AREA, California. If anyone one please email me. I am great appreciated the effort.
thank

Author:
Jack waiting for LifeDrive
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/26/05 Tue

I love the T5 great device real glad I picked it up

Author:
jolipkin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/29/05 Fri

I had lots of trouble moving from T2 toT5. Several times Palm tech support simply did not know what to do.. Gradually worked through bugs (worst one was series of hot syncs in which address book, calendar doubled.) This caused memory alerts, crashes, made unit unusable.A major help was UNDUPE a program to remove duplicate entries from Outlook. Once I could fix those, have had positive experience. Unit is fast, great to look at, AND really fits shirtpocket.I have made little use of the flash memory, but would rather have more internal working space.

Author:
Bjoern
[ Edit | View ]

Undupe is a brilliant program. Glad to hear your enjoying using the T5

Author:
Xur and the Codan Armada
[ Edit | View ]

I have had several annoying experiences with tech support and with my hardware. The first T5 would not charge. I went through several power supplies but the only way I could charge it was with the international adaptor. After sending me 5 replacement power supplies Palm finally consented to a replacement unit.

The next problem was with a wi-fi card I purchased about 4 days after the unit. I would have bought them together except that the drivers weren't available yet and the person I was talking to at palm would not let me buy incompatible hardware. But. here it is 5 months later and the wi-fi card BROKE INTO ITS COMPONENT PIECES. I have been playing "phone tag" with the tech support people who want to diagnose my problem. They want to know if the card still works. Well, surprisingly enough, it doesn't. I had to read the warrantee off their web site to get them to authorize a return/replace on it. And even then, this took an hour of phone conversation and hold time.

I have called at various times of the day or night - the advantage of 24x7 customer support, and I have never had a hold time less than 10 minutes when talking to customer support.

Now, about the device itself, I got it so that I could read e-books and listen to music while traveling. I really like the big screen and the built-in software bundle. There is lots to enjoy about this product. It does crash sometimes, but as this is my first device I can't tell if it is an unusual amount of crashing - about once a week it seems to want a reset.

I have no problems syncing it using missing sync. If I do it is because MS's monitor program has terminated, and a logout/login fixes that. I enjoy using it and have become much more organized as a result.

Author:
Didier
[ Edit | View ]

One thing you should know about the T5 (I bought one to replace my Zodiac and ended up sending it back...)

This I gathered from Red Mercury and Mapopolis folks; The T5 does not have 64MB of RAM. It has 10MB, none of which can be really accessed for storage. It's just dynamic memory. The 64MB of RAM is faked by the system. Everything is stored in the Internal card system, and when you launch an app, it transfers everything to that 10MB while you're using it, and transfers it back when you're done. The best comparison is that it works almost just as if you were launching everything from an SD card... What that means is that launching apps will be slower, and some apps with a lot a data will be ultra slow to close (movie mentor is 16 seconds to close, mapopolis 12 seconds). So, once you understand that about the T5, it's whether or not you can deal with the slow launches and application switching. Once you're in an app, it works fast.

The funny thing is what happens when you move en app from RAM to the internal card. If I'm right, the T5 just pretends to move it, when in fact it stays where it is, in the internal card.

That's weird stuff, and that's why the T5 is slower than a 200mhz Zodiac in many regards. That's also probably why the picked that 512k memory chunk thing; from what I read, the NVFS is faster at moving large chinks of data. The fact that the T5 can transfer data so fast is amazing, but it's still slower than if you had real RAM storage.

That's a lot of inconvenience just to have all your data "safe" even after losing battery power...

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.