VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]
Subject: Re: Pls share experience on T5

Author:
Loyal Since the Palm Pilot Personal
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 04/13/05 Wed
In reply to: disappointed long-time Palm user 's message, "Re: Pls share experience on T5" on 03/22/05 Tue

"Disappointed long-time Palm user" and Gadi have had identical, painful T5 experiences to mine. Having been an avid Palm user ever since the original U.S. Robotics Palm Pilot Personal, I am nonplused to find that PlamOne has put forth a product that they tout as their flagship model, yet is clearly still a work in progress. (Did we just serve as a test group for the rumored T6?) I would return my T5 now, but I like the fixed long screen and the light weight of the unit - two characteristics I have been hoping to see from Palm for a long time. However, the endless crashes render this time efficiecy tool a liablity for time wasting. I've had mine for three weeks and have invested countless hours into trying to tame it. Let's face it; It was not ready for the sales floor, when PalmOne released it to their loyal market. Perhaps PalmOne will reward us with a free upgrade to a refined next generation model (Remember the Palm m500 & m505 class action suit?). For your edification, I have learned the following from C.E. Steuart Dewar, the founder of Pimlico Software, Inc.: "It's actually a very serious flaw(s) in the PalmOne DataManager patch that runs on the T5(and all newer PalmOne devices). The architecture of these device is RADICALLY diferent, although this is (a) not apparent to the average user, and (b) PalmOne NEVER mentions this issue... The fact is that the newer PalmOne devices use proprietary PIM apps and databases instead of the standard PalmSource PIM apps and database that appear on all other Palm OS devices and which have been a standard for some eight years. Of course, this would be a disaster, except that PalmOne came up with the idea of having a huge patch to the Palm OS that would instantly detect any attempt to access the standard Palmsource PIM app databases and re-reroute that command to their patch which would then attempt to "look" as if the standard PalmSource databases were really there. This mechanism, like many kludges, sort of works, but not perfectly. The problem is that on the newer T5 and Treo-650, these devices also have NVFS memory, and the kludge just does *NOT* work properly under these conditions and PalmOne NEVER tested this properly" So, there you have it. Have we been had?

- Loyal Since the Beginning

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.