VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]
Subject: Re: Pls share experience on T5

Author:
Didier
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 04/29/05 Fri
In reply to: Aryo 's message, "Pls share experience on T5" on 12/29/04 Wed

One thing you should know about the T5 (I bought one to replace my Zodiac and ended up sending it back...)

This I gathered from Red Mercury and Mapopolis folks; The T5 does not have 64MB of RAM. It has 10MB, none of which can be really accessed for storage. It's just dynamic memory. The 64MB of RAM is faked by the system. Everything is stored in the Internal card system, and when you launch an app, it transfers everything to that 10MB while you're using it, and transfers it back when you're done. The best comparison is that it works almost just as if you were launching everything from an SD card... What that means is that launching apps will be slower, and some apps with a lot a data will be ultra slow to close (movie mentor is 16 seconds to close, mapopolis 12 seconds). So, once you understand that about the T5, it's whether or not you can deal with the slow launches and application switching. Once you're in an app, it works fast.

The funny thing is what happens when you move en app from RAM to the internal card. If I'm right, the T5 just pretends to move it, when in fact it stays where it is, in the internal card.

That's weird stuff, and that's why the T5 is slower than a 200mhz Zodiac in many regards. That's also probably why the picked that 512k memory chunk thing; from what I read, the NVFS is faster at moving large chinks of data. The fact that the T5 can transfer data so fast is amazing, but it's still slower than if you had real RAM storage.

That's a lot of inconvenience just to have all your data "safe" even after losing battery power...

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.