VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]
Subject: Ripping a DVD to T54

Author:
David Myers
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 04/30/05 Sat

I want to rip a DVD to my T5. Firstly is it possible and what's the quality ? Apologies if this has been asked before.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Ripping a DVD to T54

Author:
Ryan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/01/05 Sun

I think it's called PocketDVD what you want. Try Palmgear.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Ripping a DVD to T54

Author:
Neil (Palm247)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/01/05 Sun

You can use download software which will solely convert DVDs (such as PocketDVD Studio, mentioned above). However, you could also look to get two separate tools- a DVD ripper, and a format converter (for example, PocketDivXEncoder). The quality will largely depend upon the codec you use (DivX / XviD are the most common), and upon the output file size- obviously, if you are cramming a couple of gbs of data onto a 128mb SD card, you are going to lose a lot of the quality, whereas if you can afford to spare an entire 512mb card per film, the quality will be much better.

In terms of playback, I'd be tempted to have a look at Picard's latest offering, CoreCodec- I am a huge fan of his WM player, BetaPlayer, and a sure that CC will develop into an equally powerful application. An alternative would be MMPlayer. Kinoma is also a possibility, but, as far as I know, this will only convert into a proprietary format, which tends to be comparatively large.

It may take some time to come up with a formula that works for you- you have to balance framesize, framerate and audio quality, all against output size. High-quality video playback is processor intensive, and dropped frames are a nuisance.

My final comment would be just to keep aware of possible legal implications- in the UK at least, you are not allowed to rip and copy a DVD for playback on a PDA, although I am sure that this is a risk many people take. Just a heads-up, really.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.