VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat for Free
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:16:27 09/07/03 Sun
Author: Mark
Subject: Watching Wife's Exam

My wife and I have been married for 3 years. She has a 7 year old daughter from her previous marriage and has always gone to the same doctor who delivered the baby. I'd taken her to the doctor a few times and remained in the waiting room. Most times she was in and out within 15 minutes but I was very curious as to what went on during the exam. I talked to her about this and asked if I could go back with her sometime. She said she wasn't sure if the doctor allowed it but would ask next time she went, I said fine and didn't give it more thought. Several months later she began having a lot of pelvic pain and irregular bleeding and made a appointment to see her doctor. I brought up the subject of going into the exam room, she said if I wanted to go with her she'd ask if it was ok. Over the next few days the more I thought about this the more I wanted to go with her. I even arranged to take a vacation day from work so I'd be able to drive her to the appointment. When we arrived at the doctors office I took a seat in the waiting room while she signed in. She sat down beside me and about 10 minutes later a nurse came in and called her name. My wife spoke with the nurse for a bit then turned and motioned be toward them. The nurse led us down a short hall to a small exam room, she told me to wait there why my wife had her blood work and urine sample. They returned shortly, the nurse gave my wife a small cloth gown, told her to undress and put the gown on, she left saying the doctor would be in soon. While my wife was changing I asked what she had said to the nurse about me going back with her. She told me the nurse had said her doctor had no problem with male partners being present during an exam and in fact quite a few husbands and boyfriends did accompany women during their exams. The room contained an exam table and plastic chair, after putting the gown on she sat on the side of the table. There was a quick knock at the door and the doctor and a different nurse entered the room. He shook my hand and introduced himself before turning his attention to my wife. After asking several questions he told her to lay down on the table. The doctor lifted her gown up to just above her navel and pushed on her belly for a minute or so. He had her scoot to the end of the table and placed her feet in the stirups, after putting on a glove the nurse squeezed lubricant onto his hand. My chair was more toward the head of the table and the nurse stood between me and the doctor. I had no idea exactly what he was doing but several gasps and jumps from my wife left no doubt he was checking things out. This only took a couple of minutes and he had her move back up onto the table. He told her to get dressed and he would be back shortly. When he came back he told us he felt sure there was a problem with her left ovary and there was no doubt her uterus was enlarged. He said he wanted to wait for the pap smear results, and do a follow up in 2 weeks. He gave her a prescription for pain medication and told us to schedule another appointment at the front desk. Two weeks later we returned for her next appointment, once again I got to tag along to the exam room. We went into a different room that was almost an exact copy of the room we had been in before. After she had changed the doctor came in and did a very much shorter exam than the previous time. Before he left he told my wife to keep the gown on and the nurse would be right back. We waited at least 20 minutes before the nurse returned. She said the doctor wanted to do an ultrasound and hysteroscopy procedure. The nurse gave my wife a sheet told her to take the gown off and wrap the sheet around her, she also had her take a pill which she said was a mild seditive to relax her. The nurse told us the doctor would be ready to start in about 10 minutes and advised my wife to relax in the meantime. After what seemed a very long time the nurse came back with another nurse with her. They said the doctor was ready and they were going to take her to a different room for the procedure. By now my wife was a bit groggy from the seditive, the nurses helped her off the table, made sure the sheet around her was secure and walked her toward the door. I got up to follow but one of the nurses said it would be better if I waited in the room. She told me the test would take the better part of an hour and if I'd be more comfortable in the waiting room she would call me back when the doctor was finished. I thanked her and said I'd just wait here in the exam room. A few minutes after they had gone one of the girls from the front office brought me a stack of magazines and said to let her know if I needed anything. I checked my watch as she left and it was a quarter of two, I assumed the doctor would be through by three at the latest. I paged through the magazines and even dozed for a bit in the chair. Three o'clock came and went without my wife returning. It was almost three thirty and I was about to go ask what was going on when the door opened and the nurses brought her back into the room. She had both hands on her lower belly and was almost pale as the sheet she was wraped in. The nurses helped her onto the table and had her lay down. One of the nurses said she'd had a rough time with the examination and should rest a few minutes before getting dressed. The nurse told me to let her know when my wife was dressed because the doctor wanted to talk with us. After they left the room I asked my wife if she was ok. She said she'd had so many things put up her vagina and rectum she wasn't sure if the doctor was trying to help or kill her. I pulled the sheet aside and had her spread her legs. The entire area between her legs looked like she'd spent a weekend at a men's prison. She asked for her clothes and got dressed. I was about to go for the nurse when her doctor walked in. He asked how she was doing and said he knew the ultrasound and hysteroscopy had been painful but were the best tools to find her problem. He told us he felt sure her pain and irregular bleeding was due to a combination of uterine fibroids and pelvic adhesions. Since she was only in her late twenties he said he would only consider hysterectomy as a last resort. He said he wanted to do an albation procedure for the fibroids, and laprascopy for the adhesions. The doctor told us both procedures could be done at the same time and if no complications came up could be done as one day surgery. He told us about a non surgical option using depro but felt this would be a temporary fix at best. The doctor told my wife the ultimate decision was hers and we should talk it over before deciding. She told the doctor she would let him know what we wanted to do and we left the office. As soon as we were in the elevator I started asking what they had done to her while I waited in the room. She laughed and said it would be easier to tell what they hadn't done. I teased and said I felt cheated because I only got to watch the basic exam. She said not to worry she would give me a play by play description later. True to her word she has told me in great detail what happened. I'm sure I've driven her nuts and bored her to tears with my endless questions about that day. My main curiousity is why I'd get to go as far as the examination room then not be allowed to watch the more in depth office procedures.........

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.