Thursday, April 10, 2014 – VoyForums News: 'Heartbleed' vulnerability in OpenSSL
VoyForums

MondayVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123 ]
Subject: Raising Wolves

Author:
Nathaniel Barlow
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 18:50:59 11/30/03 Sun

Hello to everyone out there. I am here to discuss the raising of wolves, for a long time people have said that wolves are vicous and they are predetors, I believe to differ on that point of view for I had a wolf that just died on August 26 2003 at 11:45 a.m. I had to put him to sleep because he had a severly bad infection above his anus
and in it, but the one above it the vet told me look like someone had shoot him or poked him some how to make a hole like he had, not only that he was also "17 years old"
before I put him to sleep. His name was Paka, he also did not act old his body was a fine as a pups and he was rasied by me since I was little, Paka was a present for me from my uncle that was visiting canada and found this pup by himself and ever since I was 4 I have always loved wolves, so he asked my mother first and my mother let me have Paka since he was at that time only a pup. Never did he attack anyone unless he saw that I was threatend, he was loyal and above all a very lovable WOLF or for some people a dog, to me he was like my brother and when I lost him it was like loosing a brother, but for all those people that say they have documented proof wolves don't live that long past 10 is false, maybe in the wild they don't live that long, also maybe they are malnutrious out there trying to survive on what scraps they can get by on, but as far as I know in captivity they do live a long live and that also depends on how they are taken care of. I know one thing you don't do and I would say it as a number one rule you do not hit them or treat them as you would a normal dog, which a lot of people have done to wolves and hybrids. You must also show that you are the alpha and do not show fear for which they do know if you are scared or not. I know this first hand, for instince onetime my sister came over to my house and went outside to see paka but she acted scared so when she went up and tried to pet him he snapped at her. I told her not to act frighten and do not go up to him with a closed fist. But she didn't listen. But all in all Paka was my brother, my protecter and my companion. Wolves do learn fast and pick up fast.
If anybody is intrested on e-mailing me about Paka or on raising wolves they are more then welcome to and Paka was a Saint Mckinsie river wolf.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Raising Wolves

Author:
Emily
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:17:15 08/27/04 Fri

I was wondering how long a wolf sleeps. Like how many hours. Thank you.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Raising Wolves

Author:
RALPH MASSA
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:19:29 01/02/05 Sun

>I HAVE AN 18 MONTH OLD FEMALE FULL BLOODED WOLF.
I AM SEEKING SOURCES OF INFO RELATED TO RAISING
AND TRAINING HER.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Raising Wolves

Author:
Sylvia Haller
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:57:38 06/23/05 Thu

>>I HAVE AN 18 MONTH OLD FEMALE FULL BLOODED WOLF.
>I AM SEEKING SOURCES OF INFO RELATED TO RAISING
>AND TRAINING HER.

How is it going with your wolf? Any advice?

Author:
Jonathan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:11:53 06/19/06 Mon

I am so jealous! While I don't have many answers on how to raise your pup, I have read that they respond more to hand signals than anything else and while they require a significant more amount of attention than a regular dog, they become easier to train (when given that attention).

I do have a question for you: How did you come to aquire a wolf pup?

If you are planning on breeding her, I know Alaskan sled dogs are always part wolf and bred with a Husky or Malamute, so there is a market for these dogs. My wife and I are moving to Texas and I'm not sure about the laws there regarding wolves. I hope all is going well with you and your little one. Any information you could send me would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless,
Jonathan

P.S. My wife would love a photo.

>AND TRAINING HER.

Author:
Steve (Dismay)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:29:17 03/09/07 Fri

>AND TRAINING HER.

Hello,
I just stumbled on this forum and I am deeply troubled by the misinformation being posted here.
There is an outbreak of dog breeders in this country who pass of northern and Shepherd mixes as Wolves. It is truly a sad case and the Lupine rescue coalitions are working hard to stop it and educate.
The Internet provides a glut of educational sites, so there is no real reason for the "blind leading the blind" at all.

Wolves cannot eat SOY based dog foods, so if you have a Wolf (which I doubt) or a Wolf Dog, you are slowly killing it by feedin it Dog foods with SOY or SOY Oil.
They require MEAT, BONE, FUR, FEATHERS in their diets, and yes FAT.

I can provide evaluation of your animal if you are interested in truly knowing what you have, as it is obvious the people posting here are either new owners, or misinformed?
If you are receptive to this, info@sjblues.com
good photos from side view.

I hope all of you Wolf lovers will get involved in education. The world is polluted with myths.

http://www.sjblues.com/wolfdogtruths.cfm

Author:
caitlin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:17:31 01/09/05 Sun

>what are some labor requirements when raising wolves.

Author:
wendy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:09:00 03/28/05 Mon

>I was wondering how long a wolf sleeps. Like how many
>hours. Thank you.

I need to know if there is anyway to get rid of an ear infection on wolves the smell is so bad i just cant stand it anymore maybe there something that will cure this problem thank you for the HELP & info

Author:
Sylvia Haller
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:56:21 06/23/05 Thu

I am getting a pure-bred Timber Wolf on the 5th of July and would like to know more about raising her and what to feed her. Thanks

Author:
Holly
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:42:50 04/06/06 Thu

>I am getting a pure-bred Timber Wolf on the 5th of
>July and would like to know more about raising her and
>what to feed her. Thanks
I have a timber wolf aswell. You will need to feed her a high protien dog food. I use purina puppy chow with the soft morsels because it is one of the highest in protien and contains fatty acids that wolves need. Stay away for the purina benefical, remember your wolf is a carnivore and needs all the meat she can get. Your wolf will also need fresh raw meat in his/her diet as well. Like scraps from the butcher or steak.

Author:
matthew hackathorn
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:26:40 02/28/06 Tue

Me an my wife are interested in finding a wolf cub to raise we can not have children an have alot of love to be able to give to a wolf but want to find a real wolf not just one of the many phony's out there who claim to have wolves thanks

Author:
Terry
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:30:35 04/08/06 Sat

>Me an my wife are interested in finding a wolf cub to
>raise we can not have children an have alot of love to
>be able to give to a wolf but want to find a real wolf
>not just one of the many phony's out there who claim
>to have wolves thanks

In Alabama it is illegal to own or possess a wolf useless its a hybrid. And the fines are very hefty! Check with your state laws before thinking about getting a REAL WOLF!

Author:
Ashley La Fountain
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:23:57 06/10/06 Sat

I'm about to accquire two pure bred wolf pups. I don't know much on raising wolves but I'm guessing they are similar to dogs. Is it ok for them to be around small children? Would it be easy to teach them tricks? Also, I read above that you don't ever hit a wolf like you would a dog. So how do you show them that their action is wrong?
Thanks for all of your time and help, it is greatly appreciated.

Ashley

Author:
nmg; (dsv)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:02:43 04/09/08 Wed

how do i get a pruevbred timber wolf?

Author:
Becca Cisco (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:41:52 06/04/08 Wed

I just got my first wolfdog. She is supposed to be a cross between a wolf and a husky. She's 18 months old, and shows no signs of her dog ancestry. She looks all wolf, and acts it. She is so sweet. She has taken up with our family really fast and well. WE love her and she already seems to love us. She's in our lap all the time, and she's living in the house. lol She has wonderful manners. She was raised right. We have dachsunds and I wondered how she'd be with the other animals, but she doesn't pay them much attention. They are grumpier with her than she is with them, and the cats do not fear her at all. The cats are outside animals, but they rub all over her and she just plays with them. Her former owner said she loves cats, and she does.
I have lots of questions. One being, when she is older and well established, would it be ok to breed her to a full blood wolf? One of my best friends has a full wolf male, and I'd love to raise pups with her, but I want to make sure that it's a good idea. I spend tons of time with my animals, and they wouldn't lack for constant attention and humanizing. Would I need to raise them on a bottle, and are there any more or different issues with 3/4 wolves than there are with purebred or half breeds? I want to learn all that I can before I take the step of attempting it. It will probably be at least a year before we would do it, to give me plenty of time to learn all that I can. Thanks, Becca

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.