VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:47:19 03/18/17 Sat
Author: HerbertMcHoover
Subject: Roseanne / Green Day - December 3, 1994 (20.7)
In reply to: Stooge 's message, "Retro Reviews - March 2017" on 05:01:55 03/02/17 Thu

Press Conference: **
The cold open was alright. The MLK/Tobacco thing was an enjoyable bit and Myers was good.

Monologue: DUD
Too much Roseanne and yelling! Her voice was irritating the whole damn time and she had officially crossed the line when it came to unlikable and obnoxious. It was not even that funny to begin with.

US Air: ****
US Air was Nealon's best sketch of the season and he had a super strong performance that reminded me of how he started his tenure on the show. Elliot was great in this and Farley was alright. Underrated sketch.

A Woman Exploited: The Madonna and Tom Arnold Story: DUD
A Tom Arnold sketch... ugh. This was just horrible. Like, really horrible. Roseanne basically played herself in this petty sketch.

Rescue 911: *
Roseanne playing herself again during Rescue 911. Honestly, she wasn't that bad in this. How she said she was going to hang up was funny, but this was far inferior compared to the classic MetroCard commercial the first time she hosted.

Weekend Update: ****1/2
Norm's best jokes: US Air, Delta/Blimpie's, Paula Jones, Kenny G Christmas album(!), Dahmer/breakfast, Dahmer/heaven, Jerry Rubin(!), not gay enough.

I liked David Spade making fun of himself for a tiny bit during his commentary, but it would have been real nice if he did not phone it in so badly. This really could have been one of his best pieces on the show, but his demeanor completely ruined it here. Garofalo's commentary was bad and it sounded like she was playing herself.

Sandler did his Hanukkah Song in this episode, but it was not enough to warrantee the second five star sketch of the season.

Low-Fat Yogurt: DUD
Somehow better than that Homegirls mess from last season.

Civil War Memories From High School Dropouts: **1/2
I guess I liked how Sandler was someone who puts cones on the highway in Civil War Memories From High School Dropouts. McKean was alright changing the story, too. Some of the other testimonies were serviceable, but nobody else really stood out.

Multiple Personalities: ****1/2
Just imagine this season with Norm actually in sketches... Multiple Personalities was great.

Funny Strange: *
I don't know what to think about Funny Strange. Farley's bit was okay. The interactions between Elliot and his brother took forever, but that was interesting.

Lock Up with Bobby Blake: DUD
Another great indication that showed that Laura Kightlinger's SNL career was going to go nowhere. Deer in the headlights.

Episode MVP: Norm MacDonald.
Without Norm, this episode would have gotten a 1.17. Happy birthday Jesus, hope you like crap!

Final Thoughts:
I have a striking comparison to this episode. I noticed this in Lock Up. Roseanne's character reminded me of Melissa McCarthy's Shiela Kelly character where she shot the gun at the cameras. This whole episode is just like that. Roseanne kept playing herself and yelling characters. McCarthy was known to play the same yelling or lady punk character over and over again, too (see: her episode in season 39).

It seemed that the only reason Roseanne hosted this episode was to embarrass and exploit her ex-husband, Tom Arnold.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.