VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:15:49 03/19/17 Sun
Author: HerbertMcHoover
Subject: Jimmy Breslin / Level 42 and E.G. Daily - May 17, 1986 (11.17)
In reply to: Stooge 's message, "Retro Reviews - March 2017" on 05:01:55 03/02/17 Thu

Weigh-In: DUD
Anthony Michael Hall is the worst cast member in SNL history. What was the point of Tommy Flanagan here? He got a very loud applause upon appearing though.

No GE Smith in the SNL Band. Anyways, there was a host, two special guests and two musical guests. Holy cow. Band was REALLY into this one, completely jamming out.

Monologue: DUD
An author as host for SNL? Who is responsible for this? People really wanted to tune in to see this guy host? This was boring. I don't want to hear a novel, I want some comedy.

Reagan's Command: DUD
The White House set was atrocious and Randy Quaid didn't even attempt with the impression this time. His face the entire time reminded me of Fred's Frondi character, or even Kenan Reacts. This was another atrocious sketch. That has been the recurring word of the episode: atrocious. The whole premise/plot was terrible, the ending was miserable, Quaid was awful and they tried to make him look like Chevy as Gerald Ford, picking up two phones at once and relying on Jeopardy music to make a decision. Awful job to start this episode.

Midday with Jennifer Hicks: *1/2
Another talk show after the success of the last one. About time! This was a new attempt of a character from Joan Cusack, though it was way too late in the season. Even so, this was a rare glorious performance by her. Lovitz as Dr. Evil was dead-on. Another great impression from this season's MVP.

Public Service Announcement: *
Why didn't Hagler just host?

Weekend Update: *
Best jokes were: Sucker Punch Across America, Pat Sajak, It's a Wonderful Half Life.

Hitler's album was a giant waste of time. This was a surprisingly off-Update and there's usually one of those, where they phone it in and waste a lot of time with irrelevant stuff. The photo at the end was okay.

According to Getty Images, a segment with host Jimmy Breslin was cut from the live broadcast. This would have at least partially justified why Breslin was asked to host, but this never reached air. Rob Downey Jr. also had a news segment cut. -- http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/episode-17-pictured-dennis-miller-jimmy-breslin-during-the-news-photo/140322123

Lone Wolf McCord: ***1/2
I thought Quaid did a nice job here, as did Breslin, who has been much better throughout the episode than Breslin. There were a lot of extras here. My favorite part about the sketch was when Breslin was apologizing to Quaid and the others trying to guide Breslin through what to say. The song was really good idea, even if Breslin kept looking at the cue cards every few seconds.

Guest Performance - Sam Kinison: **1/2
I missed Sam too! It feels like this guy appeared more than just four times this season. Every time he has stepped foot on stage has been memorable.

The Pat Stevens Show: *1/2
The first segment is still the best one. Nora talking about how heavy the book is and Jimmy walking off at the end was the only other strong moment.

Tornadoville: ***
A sketch like this would be so perfect in the next era. The set was awesome and the idea behind it was very good as well. Not entirely funny, but I have to admire the acting from everyone, including Anthony Michael Hall.

Cabrini Green: DUD
Pat Stevens returns already! I liked how they wrote her into this sketch. This looked nothing like the SNL stage and I thought it was filmed at an actual school, until I saw the audience and steps. Nice little disguise for the home base. This was a dull final appearance for Cabrini. I'm surprised they didn't write in Terry Sweeney as one of the "STOP" guys. He was nowhere in this episode, so I guess he simply was not there.

Public Service Announcement: *
Not awful and Breslin made me laugh just for seeing him in this quick filler. He had a look like "Why am I doing this?"

Lovitz was right behind Breslin when he introduced E.G. Daily and the stage is perfect for performances like this. Lovitz dances with E.G. midway through the song as well. One of the better performances and moments this season.

Episode MVP [by default]: Jon Lovitz.
There was definitely a big influence with Jon Lovitz, Randy Quaid and Nora Dunn this episode, but especially the first two. Terry Sweeney appeared in no sketches and Cusack and Vance appeared in one each.

Final Thoughts:
Save for two sketches, there are very few episodes that are worse than this.

Episode Rating without Lone Wolf McCord and Tornadoville: 0.80
Episode Rating without Lone Wolf McCord, Tornadoville and Sam Kinison’s Guest Performance: 0.67

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.