VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 17:08:11 03/21/17 Tue
Author: HerbertMcHoover
Subject: George Foreman / Hole - December 17, 1994 (20.9)
In reply to: Stooge 's message, "Retro Reviews - March 2017" on 05:01:55 03/02/17 Thu

Leading Off:
• To start off, why not switch Foreman and Baldwin's episodes? Baldwin should've been the Christmas show host. Foreman doesn't sound like a cheery, happy Christmas show.

Gifts for the Middle Class: 1/2*
First off, Michael and Janeane are no Phil and Jan. Middle class this, middle class that. At least the Angela part was funny. The audience was dead from the start in this one.

Monologue: DUD
At least Foreman was funny when he said "thank you, I didn't say stop" to start his monologue. The Spade comment was alright too, but it was painful to see Foreman navigate through his monologue.

Time Boxer: DUD
Lots of yelling by Foreman here. Not sure if it was excitement or just him trying to be scared. The punches by Foreman were nothing. Overall, we are off to a disastrous start.

Looking Good: DUD
I did not need to see "makeovers" from Foreman.

Weekend Update: *
Norm couldn't save this mess. He only had two good jokes on Update this week, a step down from the previous few weeks: Charles Perez Show, penis height.

The religious cult was basically the same thing from Travolta's episode. I swear, I've seen that "BURN IN HELL" joke during Nealon's Update tenure before. Janeane's attempt at a Martha Stewart impression was sad. She was the first to impersonate the late 90s icon, but nobody was able to pull it off until Ana Gasteyer was added into the cast.

Matt Foley: 1/2*
I couldn't understand what the hell Farley was saying for the first minute or two during Matt Foley. He sounded really bad in this. Farley was playing himself, not Matt Foley, especially during the puppet portion. Wow, I don't want to give that a DUD. I just don't. Foreman really butchered his last few lines with Meadows, also. This has been a giant joke so far and a mockery of pretty much everything SNL had stood for during the Hartman years. Not the same show.

Uncle Joe: *
I wonder how embarrassed Nealon was after this Uncle Joe sketch. Cleghorne's moaning and crying toward the end of the Uncle Joe sketch hurt my ears so much. Foreman singing was just so bad it was funny. That was the funniest part of the whole damn show. I'll give it half a star just because it was so bad. Personally, the sketch kinda flew by. It was still bad, though. No doubt about that.

The Incredible Hulk: **
Meadows becoming Foreman over and over again was just horrible. "Maybe Hulk want to clean up" was good and Hulk tired of the sketch was funny as well. Hulk is smart about SNL this season. One joke over and over again. The audience stops laughing at page four of twenty.

I know this episode was bad, but I wasn't expecting it to be this bad. Where's the Christmas stuff?

I guess Hulk smashing GE's guitar was funny. Better than the crap we got so far.

Chris Elliott's Bedtime Story: **1/2
Elliott's random thoughts during the story was funny, like cows can't fly and cars. Plus, the fact he wanted to see the pictures and know who it was by.

Stalking: ***
A Kids in the Hall film, with Bruce McCulloch. It would not have been such an awful idea to have Bruce in the cast or air more of his films throughout this season (they only showed one other film).

Jackie Stallone's Psychic Circle: **
I liked how Jackie said Sylvester was an international star and Frank was a struggling musician. It would have been cool to see Frank Stallone on Update when his brother Sylvester hosted a few seasons later though.

Episode MVP [by default]: Chris Elliott.
This was Janeane's best episode in the cast as well, but Chris had the overall live highlight to recover from his disaster in the last episode.

Final Thoughts:
I'm surprised there were only three DUDs in this one. Technically, there were supposed to be four (Matt Foley), but I couldn't give Foley a DUD. At least the character is amusing. Uncle Joe, as I explained earlier, had Foreman's horrible singing that was so bad it was funny.

This was the Christmas show. This was the Christmas show? What?! I could only tell by the cold open, Norm's quick comment at the end of Update and some snow during the goodnights.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.