VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09:47:42 03/26/17 Sun
Author: HerbertMcHoover
Subject: Jeff Daniels / Luscious Jackson - January 14, 1995 (20.10)
In reply to: Stooge 's message, "Retro Reviews - March 2017" on 05:01:55 03/02/17 Thu

Leading Off:
• After hosting one of the first few episodes in season seventeen, Jeff Daniels actually returned to host the first show of 1995. He was the second choice to promote Dumb and Dumber, after Jim Carrey, who had refused to host the show when it was bad.
• Things will change drastically for SNL over the next few episodes, with several cast members being added to replace those who have departed. Mark McKinney is added to the cast in this episode and he makes his first appearance in the cold opener.

House Meeting: ****
This was a one joke premise with Farley yelling. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. However, this was much better than what it should have been. Farley's yelling and attempt to hurry things up was pretty good.

Monologue: DUD
Easily the worst so far. Jeff made some jokes about Jim getting a lot of money and watching the movie, but it was not funny aside from that and he looked absolutely miserable.

Martin Luther King Day: ****
Jeff completely phoned it in. Elliott was also bad too. Aside from that, I really enjoyed it. Easily one of the better sketches this season. My favorite parts were Tim giving them the tickets, Adam coming in talking about the off day, Adam saying he received his weekend reading, everyone giving away gifts to Tim, especially when Adam said that the wallet was also his present. I did NOT like the ending of the sketch. Wasn't a fan of Ellen in this, either.

Connie Chung vs. Mrs. Gingrich: ****1/2
Absolutely shocking how well done this was. Hands down Kightlinger's best sketch on SNL, as it was for Garofalo. Lots of good material so far this episode. Kinda lengthy, but I can look past it. The other problem was the lifeless Jeff Daniels as Dan Rather, who also seemed to be glued to the cue cards. This particular sketch got funnier as it continued and things reached a tipping point as soon as Laura started pointing the gun.

Entertainment Tonight: 1/2*
No no no. And no, this doesn't belong on Myers' best of.

Weekend Update: **1/2
Best jokes: first bitch, slow down you bitch(!), running of the tanks, Billy Rae Cyrus, Oprah, guns/free therapy/free anything(!), OJ/more killing(!), Kennedy Cuomos.

Norm had a lot of great jokes to start, but the commentaries completely screwed Update over. Why not just let Norm do jokes for seven minutes without commentaries like he would in later seasons? Pass on Spade's commentary. Stick with Hollywood Minute. Ellen's song was long and has to be one of the worst, dreadful, boring things I've EVER seen on Update. Way to ruin an episode's flow.

Mystery Dinner Theater: DUD
Is this the Chris Farley Screamfest? Everything he's been in has had yelling and screaming. This would NOT stop. The audience was completely dead. Dreadful, truly dreadful to sit through. Garofalo, McKean and Cleghorne were all annoying backstage. Really annoying. I will admit I got laughs from Kevin Nealon and Jeff Daniels backstage, explaining why the death scene lasted forever, but even if this sketch deserved more than a DUD, I am going to give it one for making me sit through this seven minute sketch.

Film Beat: **
Daniels was pretty miserable in this. There was some humor in the fact that they kept showing the same clip repeatedly. I also liked how Elliott kept making jokes about the toilet scene, specifically during the commercial.

Gay Stripper Theater: DUD
What a horrible idea for a sketch. Sandler's bit was so-so, but nothing special. I just can't believe Kevin Freaking Nealon would agree to do this. I am in shock. I can't picture Phil or any of the 86-90 cast members doing this. Nothing at all was good. I was mostly amused by Farley's bit, but they could've made it funnier. This was yet another crappy sketch.

Aerosmith's Greatest Hits 1990-94: DUD
A common theme of this season can be seen in this episode alone. Watch this and you can understand the full story of the season. Farley yelled too much, Spade was phoning it in [along with the rest of the cast], lots of people seem out of place and miserable, sketches were waaaay too long, Norm killed, Elliott gets humiliated, the writers can't write a finish to the sketch for their lives and the sketches repeated the same jokes over and over again. This falls under the last one and the fact that they didn't need to make this two and a half minutes.

Episode MVP [by default]: Norm MacDonald.

Final Thoughts:
The writers somehow managed to screw this one up again. After such a promising start, the second half of the episode completely collapsed and as I said above, this was season twenty in a nutshell.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.