VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09:50:03 03/26/17 Sun
Author: HerbertMcHoover
Subject: David Hyde Pierce / Live - January 21, 1995 (20.11)
In reply to: Stooge 's message, "Retro Reviews - March 2017" on 05:01:55 03/02/17 Thu

Allowed Evidence: DUD
Did they really think the F. Lee Bailey and Shapiro fighting scene was going to be funny? Very moronic. Myers looked bored and seemed to be bored as Ito. I think he was just waiting to be out. This was dumb. The bit leading up to LFNY was really sloppily written as well. This was a brutally bad first sketch.

Monologue: ***1/2
Right away, Pierce starts to sing. Really good song and I liked the lyrics. This has not been the case for a lot of the monologues this season.

Amazin' Lazer: **1/2
Elliott was good and I liked the warnings on the bottom of the screen, saying that it is fair game for good or evil (but please use it for good, despite all the advantages in using it for evil). Nothing groundbreaking, but a solid commercial.

Poetry Class: ****
Farley was hilarious in this. I can feel some of the tension in this, knowing Garofalo had issues with most of the male cast. Garofalo sounded like she didn't want to be there, but that was part of her character as well. She was better than she was most of the season. Garofalo almost started to break when she was sent to the front of the class with Farley. It was because Sandler yelled something about detention. If he said it a bit louder, it would be a lot funnier. It was pointed out to me, so that’s how I noticed it. Also, I enjoyed Sandler's poem idea about Spiderman. What the hell was with that ending though? Another example of the writers who just couldn't finish off the sketch.

Tales of Little Women: **1/2
This would have been funnier if this was not season 20. Farley's yelling was fine, but it just gets worse by the episode, since every sketch he's in, he yells. It's just expected at this point. The funniest line he yelled was when he called Garofalo a whore. The audience seemed to enjoy that as well. Also, when McKean came out, it looked like Farley was trying to make Spade crack up by lying on top of him. McKean's part was useless. He's been very terrible this season.

Scottish Soccer Hooligan Weekly: **1/2
Interesting that this was Mike's final sketch. Also, interesting how it wasn't toward the end of the show. This was alright, but not entirely funny. Pierce's character was my favorite and his "distractions" were great.

Weekend Update: **1/2
Best jokes were: Billy Joel/earthquake, Dan Quayle/Amway, Jimmy Carter, twins, OJ/sleep truckers, Rams.

Jay finally has something to do of note this season. He had a Christopher Walken sketch earlier on, but nothing special. This was really bad. One of the lowpoints this season. This was horrible and stuff a five year old could've written. Norm's reaction to the missed shot not being the blooper was hilarious.

Robot Spy: ***1/2
After a long opener, we head to space for a sketch that resembled one that would be on the show for the previous era. Pierce did a fair job as the robot and the rest of the cast did much better here than they had been doing the entire season.

Nervous Habits: *
The randomness of shearing the sheep was funny. McKean was alright. Strange sketch. Nealon has been seriously underused, making only his second appearance of the night here.

Foreigners and Jersey Kids: DUD
Brief, but bad.

Perspectives: **
Decent debut for Meadows as Lionel Osborne. It would get a lot funnier in the future.

The Internet: ***
Fascinating sketch that was ahead of its time. Humor was lost then that would have been abundant now. McKinney and Elliott were both excellent in this. I don't know which one of the two was better. I believe if they cut down on the sketch to get rid of Elliott repeatedly asking what McKinney was better, the pacing would have been a lot smoother. That was the one problem about the sketch, but I cannot give it a bad grade for that. This was one of the highlights in this season and this good episode.

Movie News: ***
The Sharon Stone, disclaimer typing and MJ subtitles were my favorite. The weather report was random and funny. Enjoyable sketch, although the main joke with Disney owning all the movies was pretty repetitive. Not surprising, given the season.

Episode MVP: Mark McKinney.
Mark debuted in this episode and made a big impact, appearing in nearly every sketch. David Hyde Pierce was the best host in a while and received a lot of consideration as well.

Final Thoughts:
This has been the best episode since Carvey hosted. You wouldn't know that this was Myers' final episode. Barely used tonight, just like the whole season. Very sad to see such a good cast member go on a whimper.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.