VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 14:10:13 04/10/17 Mon
Author: HerbertMcHoover
Subject: George Clooney / The Cranberries - February 28, 1995 (20.14)
In reply to: HerbertMcHoover 's message, "Retro Reviews - April 2017" on 18:35:53 04/02/17 Sun

Leading Off:
• SNL was reached petrifying lows for the last episode when Deion Sanders hosted. That episode is one of the more excruciating things I have seen in my life.

Black History Month: *****
This sketch would be noteworthy for one of the most important milestones in show history, but I will get to that at the end. Tim and Ellen (wearing glasses) give some "achievements" by African Americans over the past few months (in a "rebuilding year"), including OJ Simpson, Colin Ferguson, Jocelyn Elders, Marion Barry, Darryl Strawberry, Rick James and Michael Jackson. This was a very funny way to put the last show aside. Speaking of the last show, Deion Sanders should have been mentioned for his rap and where was Martin Lawrence talking about... you get the point. Not a strong period for African American hosts on SNL either. The best moment is definitely when Farley walks on to interrupt Ellen and Tim Meadows from being the first two African American cast members to say LFNY in unison. Just my third classic of the season.

This is Janeane Garofalo's last show and Molly Shannon's first show. Such a bizarre overlap. Cast changes are continuing!

Monologue: DUD
While Clooney doing surgery might be a different type of monologue and it is interesting to see Molly already (interacting with Tom Davis, nonetheless), I do not believe this monologue would be entertaining to the viewer.

Sea Park: DUD
A sketch with Farley constantly yelling "son of a bitch!" over and over and over again. We already had him swimming in water and screaming twice since 1995 had begun...

Taxicab Confessions: DUD
Another never-ending sketch where taxicab passengers share deep confessions to air on the show. The taxicab sketch with Tim Meadows was much better than this one, although I got a kick out of what they had George Clooney wear to make himself look like Jay Leno. Kevin Nealon makes his first appearance in over an episode.

Weekend Update: **
Best jokes were: OJ Simpson/robbing victims (loved the ad-lib afterwards as well), hot dog vendors, Curse of the Dead Sea Scrolls (typical Norm), cravings(!), weird-looking.

Ellen appears as Simpson Juror #4 in another weak commentary. She says she has not been paying attention to the trial and seemed very out of it.

George Clooney makes the rare Update trip for a host, commenting on using leeches to attach someone's ear. Great commentary that lasted twenty seconds. It got to the point quickly.

Unfortunately, this was the only appearance Kevin Nealon and his wig made as himself on the Update desk after departing as the anchor. He gives news to those with no attention span. He constantly showed pictures of Pamela Anderson. They couldn't give him a subliminal report to finish his SNL career though?

WR: **1/2
An ER parody, but in the Waiting Room. It was not as bad as it sounds. Molly played Julianna Margulies here.

Tales Of Fraud And Malfeasance In Railroad Hiring Practices: ****
Another fun sketch that had been absent to this point this season. It was relevant as well, because the railroad was Amtrak. Mark did a good job here.

The Mack Reardon Story: DUD
Michael McKean + Country/Western Music Sketch = DUD

Zagat's: ****1/2
The last pair of recurring characters for Farley and Sandler. Sandler kept this much better than it should have been with his lines.

Emory: DUD
Phil Hartman would have made this better.

Snowbird: **1/2
Another film with Bruce McCulloch. This never got off the ground, though I think these films could have been better had they used familiar actors alongside Bruce.

Janeane Garofalo stood next to George for the goodnights. Another sign of the end.

Episode MVP: George Clooney.
A stable host, which was a necessity after Deion Sanders wasted seven minutes rapping last episode.

Final Thoughts:
Two of the season's better all-around sketches aired this episode. Even with all the DUDs, there still seemed to be some promise.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.