VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 14:48:38 04/12/17 Wed
Author: HerbertMcHoover
Subject: John Goodman / The Tragically Hip - March 25, 1995 (20.16)
In reply to: HerbertMcHoover 's message, "Retro Reviews - April 2017" on 18:35:53 04/02/17 Sun

Leading Off:
• John Goodman (and Dan Aykroyd) are appearing on SNL this episode. Goodman has been reliable in the past, but so have Baldwin and Martin, both receiving subpar episodes. Even despite following up one of the worst episodes of all-time, I think this episode is going to be one of the better episodes all season long.

This Week with David Brinkley: **
Kevin Nealon dusts off his Sam Donaldson impression one last time. Aykroyd appears as Bob Dole for the final time until Norm left the cast. He is in the midst of a fight between a Good Bob Dole and Bad Bob Dole. Aykroyd could not go wrong here and I liked his screaming and yelling at the end.

This was the first time Aykroyd and Goodman did the Blues Brothers on SNL. It was a nice change of pace from the monologues.

Bob Swerski's Super Fans: **1/2
They brought back Bob Swerski's Super Fans to remember the good times. The departure of Mike Myers was written in by pretty much saying that he gained so much weight that he turned into Goodman and cameos from friends of the show, such as George Wendt were a treat. Dan even did Irwin Mainway in a bit that far exceeded the time it should have lasted. At the end, this was a sad trip memory lane to see how far SNL had sunk and there was a big reminder of that in the sketch, when Farley commented on the current state of the show. That was a nice moment of self-awareness and I will give them a star for that. The camera zoom-in only added to the moment. The crowd gave Farley an uncomfortably long applause. I will also hand out an additional star for the "Most Fat Guys In A Single Sketch" (1342 pounds) by adding in Farley's "Tommy Boy" co-star, Brian Dennehy.

The Late Late Show: DUD
With Aykroyd around, the writers are choosing to use a lot of his characters and impressions. The show has been centered around Snyder and other Aykroyd classics, so there has not been many opportunities to fail until now. I could not have been any less interested.

Weekend Update: *
Best jokes were: Buchanan Is A Racist, DUH Magazine(!), Hertz's, crack.

The writers once again do the right thing by cutting to a moment of the OJ Trial in Update, rather than devoting an entire sketch to it. Unfortunately, this could have very well qualified as a sketch. Why did it take forever?! Still waiting for David Spade's first Hollywood Minute commentary of the season...

Dog Run: ****1/2
Another underrated gem. Adam Sandler is a dog among dogs. This qualifies as Adam's last great sketch. He humped the dogs to show dominance, sniffed the ass of some of the dogs and mocked all the dogs.

Rush and Howard: ****
Took the writers long enough to bring back one of Michael McKean's few highlights back on to the show. Rush Limbaugh (Aykroyd)'s talk show is interrupted by Howard Stern.

Losers: DUD
A dull sketch with a bunch of losers.

Unsolved Mysteries: DUD
Another sketch without Goodman and with Aykroyd instead. It wore out Goodman to appear in every sketch, so having Aykroyd every other sketch was not a bad idea. Again, it is so strange to see Molly this season. There was nothing to this sketch either though.

Coal Miners: DUD
Another sketch where nothing said was interesting and the best part was the abrupt moment at the end when everybody died, because the coal mine collapsed.

Denver Airport: ****1/2
Chris actually seemed to have the most fun all season with this sketch, as a Penis Measuring Machine salesman. These are the weird, funny sketches that had been missing for virtually the entire season. Mark McKinney and Chris Elliott had good chemistry together. Of course, the scene where Elliott was shot after announcing his departure from the cast was well done.

Episode MVP: Adam Sandler.
Tough choice, but I am going with Sandler over Elliott and Goodman, because Dog Run is one of my personal favorite sketches he did on the show.

Final Thoughts:
When John Goodman was not on, there was Dan Aykroyd. When Dan Aykroyd was not on, there was John Goodman. The two combined for three sketches above four stars and a nice bounceback episode, despite four additional DUDs.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.