VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 19:53:26 05/12/17 Fri
Author: Stooge
Subject: Bradley Cooper / TV on the Radio - February 7, 2009 (S34 E15)
In reply to: Stooge 's message, "Retro Reviews - May 2017" on 09:14:42 05/05/17 Fri

Here's the original review I posted back when this episode first aired.

---------------------------------------

RATINGS SYSTEM
***** = Excellent, a possible future classic
**** = Great
*** = Average
** = Meh
* = How'd this get past dress?

Cold Opening - Senator Harry Reid and Speaker Nancy Pelosi
• This was a decent opening, but nothing too great.
• Kristen’s comments about republicans and her line about stupid people running around acting like idiots were the funniest lines.
Stars: ***

Monologue - Bradley Cooper
• The Inside the Actor’s Studio clips were interesting.
• Bradley’s tips on how to play a bully were pretty funny and accurate.
• James Lipton! It was great to see him, but I wish he got a little more to do here. They seemed to end his bit pretty fast.

Sketch - Today
• I’m surprised and disappointed to see another one of these. The first one wasn’t that funny, plus they just did it a few episodes ago. And why do these always have to be the first sketch of the night?
• Kristen’s Kathie Lee impression continues to be more annoying than funny.
• The only parts I laughed at was Michaela not being surprised that Kristen/Kathie Lee understands where Christian Bale was coming from regarding his infamous tirade, and the Ho-down line.
• The stage light falling in front of Kristen at the end didn’t really get any laughs. What was the point of it?
Stars: *½

[2017 UPDATE: Regarding that last part with me questioning what the point was of the stage light falling in front of Wiig, we later learned from someone who attended dress rehearsal that the light was actually supposed to fall ON Wiig, which was what the joke was supposed to be; the light falling IN FRONT of her during the live show was an error on the stagehands' part (or maybe Wiig wasn't standing in the correct spot). Can't recall if the reruns of this episode show the dress version of that part or not.]

Sketch - I'm Gonna Have Sex With Your Wife
• This was pretty much a one-joke sketch that didn’t really go much further than the title.
• Bill’s angry facial expressions were really funny, though, as were Will and Fred’s facial reactions to the off-camera sex.
• Michaela looked like she was still wearing the same wig from the previous sketch.
Stars: **½

Digital Short - I’m on a Boat
• I heard before about this song being on the Lonely Island’s new CD. This was really funny, but not quite as great as Jizz in My Pants.
• The rapping was great and it’s always nice to see Jorma and Akiva on SNL. T-Pain’s random appearance was funny as well.
Stars: ****

Sketch - Song Memories
• Like the last Song Memories sketch, I’m glad they changed the setting again from the usual bar setting, but this was pretty weak overall.
• A lot of the stories tonight had predictable endings like Bill’s sister story and Will’s jacuzzi story, and I completely saw the whole funeral twist coming. I think they need to finally stop doing these Song Memories sketches. They seem to be running out of ideas with it.
• Jason’s Starbucks story was the only decent one.
Stars: **

Weekend Update - Seth Meyers, featuring Mark Spitz, James Harrison, Bjork
• Best jokes: Pelosi, Bush, John Madden
• The Mark Spitz commentary had a few funny lines like the “Spitz Carlton” bit. The segment ended too abruptly, though.
• I’m tired of Kenan playing every black football player on Update. His Harrison commentary actually wasn’t as bad as his usual Update stuff, but still not that great either.
• I was happy to see Kristen’s Bjork impression back since I really liked that Iconoclasts sketch from last season. Her impression was again very funny tonight and the song at the end was great.
• I’m surprised the “Really” segment is continuing even after Amy left, but it was still great tonight with just Seth. I loved all the stuff he said about the Kellogg’s characters, the comment about a genie granting a wish at a Phish concert, and the dick line at the end.
Stars: ****

Sketch - Hockey Fan
• When I first saw the locker set, I got worried and thought this would be yet another Dancing Coach sketch. Thankfully, I was wrong.
• Bobby was funny as the little kid as was his non-excitement over Bradley’s character.
• The sketch seemed kind of short, but I guess that’s good that this didn’t go too long.
Stars: ***½

Sketch - Bad Guys, Good Conversation
• This is the second time Michaela has played a Glenn Close character. She really does look like her. She did a good job as her Fatal Attraction character and her line about being “unkind” to a rabbit was funny.
• Jason as the Karate Kid sensei was hilarious.
• Bill did a great impression of Jame Gumb/Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs and the biggest laugh of the sketch was his line about stealing a woman’s skin so he wouldn’t need a sex change operation, and all the other characters’ reactions to that.
Stars: ***½

Sketch - Intervention
• This was another one-joke sketch that didn’t go anywhere and got old fast.
• The ending was also weak, and why did Andy keep looking up at himself in the monitor?
Stars: *

Sketch - No Bruce! Let Me Finish! The Best of Celebrity Tirades
• I was wondering if they’d do a direct parody of Christian Bale tonight.
• A good closing sketch overall, but the timing seemed off at the beginning.
• Kenan’s George Foreman was terrible as expected.
• I’d never seen Abby’s impression of Joan Cusack until now. It was pretty funny.
• Bobby’s Nathan Lane was dead-on and hilarious and stole the whole sketch.

Episode Highlights:
• Weekend Update
• Digital Short
• Bad Guys, Good Conversation
• Bobby as Nathan Lane

Episode Lowlights:
• Intervention
• Today
• most of Song Memories
• Kenan as George Foreman

Best Performer of the Night:
• Bobby Moynihan

FINAL THOUGHTS
Overall, an average episode. Not too bad, but nothing really special either. At least it’s a step up from the last two episodes. The first half of the episode was pretty shaky, but things got a little better starting with Update.

CASTMEMBER COUNT DOWN
ARMISEN: 2 sketches (Reid and Pelosi, Sex With Your Wife)
FORTE: 5 sketches (Sex With Your Wife, Memories, Hockey Fan, Intervention, Celebrity Tirades)
HADER: 4 sketches (Sex With Your Wife, Memories, Bad Guys, Intervention)
HAMMOND: 2 sketches (Hockey Fan, Celebrity Tirades)
MEYERS: 1 sketch (Update)
SAMBERG: 5 sketches (Monologue, Digital Short, Update, Bad Guys, Intervention)
SUDEIKIS: 3 sketches (Memories, Hockey Fan, Bad Guys)
THOMPSON: 2 sketches (Update, Celebrity Tirades)
WIIG: 5 sketches (Reid and Pelosi, Today, Sex With Your Wife, Update, Intervention)

ELLIOTT: 1 sketch (Celebrity Tirades)
MOYNIHAN: 2 sketches (Hockey Fan, Celebrity Tirades)
WATKINS: 4 sketches (Today, Sex With Your Wife, Hockey Fan, Bad Guys)
WILSON: 2 sketches (Sex With Your Wife, Intervention)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.