VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 01:02:09 05/21/17 Sun
Author: Casey Killingsworth
Subject: Brief Thoughts
In reply to: Jurb 's message, "Episode 829: The Live Discussion Thread - Our Season Finale, or: "Farewell, Bobby & Vanessa"" on 23:12:13 05/20/17 Sat

The cold open was an appropriate way to close out the season and tie every thing tother in a neat little package. It pretty much retroactively justified having Kate as Hillary sing Hallelujah when Chappelle hosted.

The monologue was allright. It wasn't quite what I was expecting from a Rock hosted episode but it was much more enjoyable than his singing and dancing monologues. I could kind of tell where the gag with Baldwin was headed before Hanks came out but they were both charming and gave the show its most enjoyable political discourse in ages.

The fidget spinners ad reminded me a lot of Wiigs' Red Flag perfume from her own final season but it was the perfect piece for Vanessa to go our on. I don't know mucheck about fidget spinners to take a side in the ongoing debate on them (hell, I don't even think I've seen one in real life yet) but whoever wrote this clearly does and has. It didn't seem like too hot a take but I could still see this putting off some pro-fidget spinner people.

I had a feeling they might bring back the Koko Watchout vs Trashyard Mutt WWE promos. I don't think it really holds much of a candle to the first one but I did like the California Girls reenactment and the long lost twins bit.

The multiple rappers one one track film seemed a lot like something MAD TV would've done 14 years ago but this turned out to be funnier than it had any right to be. Kenan really carried this even though people like Beck, Kyle, Melissa, Vanessa and Cecily each added their own silly touches to this. If anything, this really shows you what the cast and crew are talking about when they say they value Kenan as an onstage director. The Katy Perry cameo felt a little forced but I suppose it was to be expected. It was nice to see they found a way to sneak in David S. Pimpkins.

That Scorpio sketch was a little predictable. Still, the girls were likable in it and the Rock played a decent straight man.

I didn't expect them to make Cecilys' Gemma recurring but we are past the point of no return with this sketch. Plus, it is Vanessas' last show and The Rock was the only host that made this sketch work. I'll also admit that taking these characters outside of a bar and grill setting really improves this sketch.

Update was actually a decent way to close out this season. Both Che and Jost had their fair share of great jokes tonight. It was a little soon to bring back Dawn Lazarus considering she just debuted this character two weeks ago this month...but then again we may definitely never see her again after tonight. It was inevitable that we would also see Drunk Uncle one final time and he certainly went out with a bang...pun intended. Seriously, the "shots" bit was my favorite even though I may have preferred they end on some more Jost & Che material.

More to come

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

• and that's the season (NT) -- Strummer, 01:02:11 05/21/17 Sun
    VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.