VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 03:17:25 05/21/17 Sun
Author: Casey Killingsworth
Subject: Briefer Thoughts
In reply to: Jurb 's message, "Episode 829: The Live Discussion Thread - Our Season Finale, or: "Farewell, Bobby & Vanessa"" on 23:12:13 05/20/17 Sat

The Xantrex sketch was another example of sketches getting funnier the more they escalate in absurdity and danger. The visual of Dwayne manhandling Kyle around his office was great. I also liked how this sketch felt like someone threw Happy Fun Ball and the Hartman/Roseanne MetroCard sketch in a blender (which SNL archives now shows me were both in the same episode oddly enough).

The RKO Pictures sketch gave me bad flashbacks to the infamous January Jones episode but at least this was different since it was less one note and built up to.something resembling an actual ending. Also, this is both Bobby and Vanessas' last show but you may not know it from watching since they are using Vanessa way more than they are Bobby. Hell, this might be the most she was ever used in her entire seven year tenure on the show. This is starting to remind me of five years ago when Mick Jagger hosted what was both Wiig AND Sambergs' final show.

The child molesting robot was funny for its immediate shift in tone alone. I thought Dwayne acted his part really well since I could hardly tell if his unease giving his presentation was real or not. Beck, Kyle, Bobby and Sasheer played very well off of him. The White Castle plug at the end was a nice touch. I'be already seen some of the reaction to this sketchange posted online and let me tell you...it's exactly what you would expect.

The wingman bartender sketch was all right if not a little inconsistent. I kept expecting it to go a bit further than where it actually ended up going. Bobby cameos were funny though and kudos to Beck and The Rock for selling this. Although, I have to say, I think the very idea that someone of the Rocks' stature bring bad at approaching women may have been the most ridiculous thing about this sketch.

The high school senior class sketch was cute. It wasn't the Bobby/Vanessa send off or final closing sketch of the season I was expecting but it was still funny and enjoyable and a decent way to close out the season. The reactions of Alex, Melissa, Pete and Leslie (especially Pete and Leslies' back and forth) made this for me and Dwaynes' generally inappropriateness was a nice touch. Still, I wish this had more of an ending rather than being cut off so abruptly.

Stay tuned for my full review.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

• Casey Killingsworth's Show Reviews - 5/20/2017 - Dwayne Johnson/Katy Perry -- Casey Killingsworth, 06:54:14 05/21/17 Sun
  • It definitely seemed like they were running out of time near the end...last sketch ended abruptly -- and then cut off credits, 08:46:49 05/21/17 Sun
    VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.