VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:34:38 05/28/17 Sun
Author: Jeff
Subject: Re: Well, the article was mainly talking about post-election, how they
In reply to: didn't make any jokes about why Hilary lost 's message, "Well, the article was mainly talking about post-election, how they" on 22:08:28 05/25/17 Thu

Yeah, I'd have to agree that the "To Sir with Love" "sketch" (if you can call it that) with Sasheer and Cecily was one of the lowlights of the season. Like you said, it was just so blatantly "ass-kissy" that it unfortunately gave legitimate ammo to people to accuse the show of being too partisan. (Some might say "who cares?," but personally, if I were at the helm of a sketch comedy show, I'd hate to have that charge levied at my ship because I generally feel that the best and smartest satire is the kind that targets everybody across the board, no holds barred.)

But, worse than that, it simply wasn't funny, nor was it even intended to be funny. I don't mind if the show takes a break from comedy to be serious for a few minutes if it's to pay homage to a recently-deceased former cast member or recurring host or to say goodbye to a cast member leaving the show, but ... as a devout SNL fan, it kinda disgusts me that they'd take several entire minutes of airtime to pay a completely straight-faced, humor-free tribute to an outgoing president - no matter how highly I might think of them - when a former cast member like Tony Rosato can pass away in the same season and have his passing acknowledged with nothing more than a still photo that airs for two or three seconds before a commercial break. I find that to be really, really messed up. There's no way that any cast member should be paid that brief a tribute when they die if you're willing to spend several minutes of airtime giving Obama (or any other president, for that matter, who is merely leaving the White House, not this earth) a sketch-long tribute in his honor. As a longtime devout SNL viewer, that really made me cringe. The minute I saw that sketch, my first thought was, "Okay, Lorne, you have no good excuse anymore for doing still-photo tributes to deceased cast members. If you're willing to devote several minutes of airtime to a purely-serious musical number in honor of a sitting President, there is absolutely no good reason to not do the same for a former cast member who passes away."

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.