VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:14:06 06/03/17 Sat
Author: Casey Killingsworth
Subject: Re: Mother Lover is way better than Dick in a Box. Do people really prefer DIAB still?
In reply to: Mario 's message, "Mother Lover is way better than Dick in a Box. Do people really prefer DIAB still?" on 23:18:10 06/02/17 Fri

I remember when I was reviewing this very same episode here and on the other now-defunct board eight years ago. I made a point about the "Motherlover" short that nobody else seemed to observe at the time but some people agreed with this after reading my review.

I mentioned that what made "Motherlover" an inferior sequel to Dick In A Box wasn't as much the writing or the idea behind it as it was the fact that Dick In A Box was produced in the style of early 90s smooth R&B music (Ala Color Me Bad, Boyz II Men etc.) and was generally meant to be a sort of faux throwback to that era.

Meanwhile, "Motherlover" just sounded like a generic Top 40 Pop/R&B song from 8-10 years ago and was practically interchangeable with any of those real pop songs of the era. In fact, it almost sounded like any number of actual songs Timberlake could've had produced as one of his own around this time. This seemed to drain it of about half the inherent comedic value that Dick In A Box had.

Thankfully, The Lonely Island returned to the early 90s R&B style of writing and production with "Three-Way (The Golden Rule)" or whatever that one was called. The premise behind that one was pretty lame and it seemed lazily written. It might have been the weakest of the three comedy-wise. Still, it had other small things going for it. Even Lady Gaga was pretty good on it.

Of course, these characters would make a big comeback when they made their live sketch debut in Timberlakes' most recent hosting stint alongside the Festrunk brothers and weren't just limited to singing one joke.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

• Re: Mother Lover is way better than Dick in a Box. Do people really prefer DIAB still? (NT) -- bmp, 17:19:44 10/30/17 Mon
    VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.