VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 22:31:09 08/14/17 Mon
Author: bjdwsm
Subject: Re: Comments
In reply to: - 's message, "Comments" on 21:16:43 08/13/17 Sun

>S21: Clearly they realized early on that this season
>was a dumpster fire, and they did a good job of not
>repeating some of the more egregiously bad episodes of
>the season (Tarantino, Tom Arnold). Still, hard to
>believe Deion Sanders got a repeat.

Even though you realized you mixed up season 20 and 21, I'm curious about your thoughts on this season. I'd say Tom Arnold was the nadir of the season (Tarantino felt like a "seemed like a good idea at the time" booking akin to the earlier seasons of the show). That said, I thought the run from MacPherson to Carrey was a good one, with even the weaker shows redeemed by specific sketches, and Aiello's "Hi C and Turkey" is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine (I wonder if that was a leftover from Walken).
>
>S22: I do remember the Lisa Kudrow and Bill Pullman
>episodes as having a lot of bad sketches and duds that
>received zero response from the audience (Pullman
>especially). Wonder why Phil Hartman wasn't repeated
>though- he didn't die until the following year so it
>wouldn't have been because of that.

Pullman I recall as being an especially weak show; Kudrow wasn't great but it was an interesting look into what she may have been like as a castmember.
>
>S23: Roma Downey remains one of the most confusing
>choices to host a comedy show in SNL history.

Agreed, and she was barely in the show.
>
>S25: I don't remember Freddie Prinze Jr. being THAT
>bad- in fact, it had the Crazy Dr. Beaman sketch in it
>which is one of my favorites. Alan Cumming I remember
>being a last-minute choice for host- wasn't he
>announced really late or something?

Yeah, Cumming was a really late announcement (not sure if they even had it in the Sports Extra the week before); the show had a whole "off" vibe to it even though it wasn't bad. I recall Big Pun was actually supposed to appear with Lopez during "Feeling So Good" but ended up dying of a heart attack a few days later.

>S27: I'm looking at the description for the Alec
>Baldwin episode on SNL Archives, and nothing jumps out
>about it for it to be singled out as the only episode
>not repeated. In fact it had the "Gay Voicemail"
>sketch which was pretty funny.

I recall that was a show where Alanis Morissette was supposed to be the musical guest, then Elvis Costello. Wonder if Baldwin was also a last minute replacement. I remember being surprised that one was skipped in the summer rerun schedule (which I recall was announced all at once) because it was a decent show (better than Diaz or Rock's shows that month, and I thought a slight improvement over Baldwin '01). It also had the debut of the Tony Bennett Show (and Gay Voicemail made it to Baldwin's Best-Of...I agree it's one of the better James Anderson sketches)

>S28: Not sure why Sarah Michelle Gellar and Eric
>McCormack were singled out, but they're both pretty
>unmemorable episodes.

I remember hearing Lorne had an angry staff meeting after the Gellar show where he told everyone to get their act together.

>S29: This season there were a lot of really young
>hosts. Colin Firth definitely seemed out of place in
>this particular season. Not sure what their problem
>with Snoop Dogg was though.

I think both were late bookings or replacement hosts; Firth wasn't great but it did have that one non-WU Tim Calhoun sketch.

>S32: Probably just another case of "This person should
>never have hosted:- Annette Bening's not exactly known
>for doing comedy.

She was so glued to the cue cards while still making every effort to act in sketches, and that had a weird effect.

Side note: I remember really disliking season 32 when it first came out; I wonder how much of it was due to Don Roy King's directing, which was considerably rougher/more awkward than it is now (he at least doesn't step on jokes with inexplicable camera switches anymore).

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.