VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09:13:24 08/15/17 Tue
Author: HerbertMcHoover
Subject: Some of my thoughts and things I wrote down from the SNL boards.
In reply to: Episodes 1&2 's message, "A gathering of knowledge and comments on Season 21:" on 18:56:31 08/14/17 Mon

HEMINGWAY:
• On the old board, someone said that JLD was originally booked as host, but then dropped out. Also, Prince was scheduled to be musical guest, but then became known as "The Artist Formerly Booked on the Show But Then Flaked on Us". With that said, Hemingway was fine (she even made an appearance during Chase's show the next week...) and Blues Traveler was really solid.

• I always liked how Will Ferrell was the first person to appear on the "new SNL". Immediately, you can tell that they were trying to push him as the alpha. Aside from being the first to appear in the cold open, he led sketches like Get Off the Shed! and Getting Off The Phone.

• During the monologue, one of the women that gets kissed is Beth McCarthy Miller, in her first episode as director. SNL Archives lists this as her only appearance on the show during her decade as director.

• Nancy Walls made an Update commentary about head shaking news and was just very slightly better than Laura Kightlinger, for the simple fact that she was not Laura Kightlinger. I always thought that if Sarah returned for season 20, she would have been perfect to play off Norm. You see the two in interviews and the YouTube Award Show today and it's just great.

• I get SNL wanted to retain some stars, but David Spade? He is the king at phoning it in and half-assing performances during a season where everyone did it and nearly everyone got fired. There are a few noteworthy Spade in America segments, but unless it's Hollywood Minute, he had a difficult time making those memorable.

CHASE:
• Loved when Chase fell down during Braveheart sketch and did the musical guest introduction from the ground. I always enjoy when SNL breaks format for that type of stuff.

• They were actually still getting Father Guido Sarducci to do spots on Update. Even after he was gone from the cast, he seemed to do a spot for every Update anchor until this appearance. He did one for Nealon, Norm, and that was it. After Novello's first time as a cast member on the show, I felt like there was a drop in quality for the character.

• Tim Meadows and Chevy Chase worked frequently together in this episode. Back in season 17 (the last time Chase hosted before this season), Chase spoke to Tim about his lack of airtime when Tim was upset.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.