VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 04:27:19 08/26/17 Sat
Author: Casey Killingsworth
Subject: Casey Killingsworth's WU Thursday Summer '17 Reviews - 8/10/17
In reply to: Casey Killingsworth 's message, "Casey Killingsworth's WU Thursday Summer '17 Reviews" on 23:27:33 08/24/17 Thu

It's pretty neat that they put together a whole new theme and title sequence just for these summer Thursday specials. I wonder if they will use these titles again once the new season starts or just go back to the old ones? They should use these and create new opening titles and bumpers for the rest of the show, too. I mean, it's been three seasons they've been using the ones they currently have so it's about damn time they change them.

Nice to see Jost and Che get what had to be the biggest applause break they've ever gotten in their SNL careers so far. Man, these guys must've REALLY been missed over the summer.

Colins' Best Jokes: Trump Approval Rating, White Supremacists (pt. 2)

Che's Best Jokes: White Supremacy (pt. 1), Alt-Right Rebranding, Opioid Epidemic

It was nice to see Mikey Day and Alex Moffat return as Don Jr and Eric again (even though not too much here was different from their first appearance on Update and the Russian meeting story seemed like yesterday's news by the time this got to air). Mikey and Alex must be pretty confident that they'll last on the show by now (of course it helps Mikey that he's been a writer). Of course the fidget spinner and Lego hotel bits were the true highlights here (and amazingly the fidget spinner fad STILL has yet to go the way of the dodo) but it's nice to see that Alex didn't try to steal ALL the laughs from Mikey as his "nothing burger" and "To Catch A Predator" references went over well.

It was great to see Bill Hader on the show again (Season 3 of Documentary Now is probably the only thing I could think of that he'd be working on right now). Still, all the Scaramucci jokes felt like low hanging fruit by this point even if SNL felt like they had to get their first AND last locks in before his fifteenth minute ended and he was completely forgotten. As for the impression itself, it felt like Bill was just doing his standard/generic dumb Italian guy voice but I guess this role didn't call for much beyond that. The only thing that really made me laugh was the "king of idiot mountain" line and the cutoff at the end (which they knew EXACTLY how to execute). I did like how he referred to Jost and Che as "ass-Wee-pays". I wonder if he meant to reference the end of that semi obscure baby name sketch from Nick Cages' episode in 1992 or if they were just genuinely not allowed to say "asswipe" in prime time.

I do have to wonder whether or not Hader actually bothered to travel to New York to do this in the studio or not. Seth once said he hasn't been traveling as much since he became a Dad but unlike Melissa McCarthy's appearance as Sean Spicer from Fallons' episode this season, he seemed like he was more present in the same space as the audience and could actually play directly to them. It didn't seem like he obviously pre taped this from LA or anything. Plus, he was simply in front of a green screen so no big hints as to where he really was.

Kenan was very funny as Lavar Ball. I can't say I have even a cursory understanding of this story as I'm not following sports that closely and I can't really judge the impression but damn if Kenan didn't act the hell out of this. He was given a lot of great material and really sold it. I especially liked him listing all the awards he expects Lonzo to win.

Leslie's commentary was just a dynamic, confident and funny as her commentary from the Tom Hanks episode this past season, but at the same time it started out seeming like it lacked focus. In fact, it seemed like she was trying to workshop new stand up material on the SNL audience on live TV. Otherwise, I'd say I enjoyed it.

Stay tuned for my review of the second Thursday night WU Summer Edition episode

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

• Casey Killingsworth's WU Thursday Summer '17 Reviews - 8/17/17 -- Casey Killingsworth, 05:26:19 08/26/17 Sat
  • Yeah, I accidentally mixed up my list of best Jost/Che jokes here so just mentally switch 'em around (NT) -- Casey Killingsworth, 05:29:16 08/26/17 Sat
    VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.