VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 05:26:19 08/26/17 Sat
Author: Casey Killingsworth
Subject: Casey Killingsworth's WU Thursday Summer '17 Reviews - 8/17/17
In reply to: Casey Killingsworth 's message, "Casey Killingsworth's WU Thursday Summer '17 Reviews" on 23:27:33 08/24/17 Thu

Colins' Best Jokes: Golf Club Threats, CNN/Guam, Will And Grace Revival, Cookbook Editor Obit

Che's Best Jokes: Statue Of Liberty, Police Planting Evidence, NAACP/Missouri, Kennedy Center Honors

Fallon as George Washington was pretty toothless. Why was Fallon even playing him anyway? I mean, most of his material seemed like he had written it all by himself but besides that it was a generich role that any male cast member could've played. I was disappointed to learn that George Washington apparently knows what "national TV" and "Obamacare" were. I was hoping they could've done this the same way they treated Rachel Dratchs' commentary as James Madison from season 26 and had him marveling too much at modern inventions to really say anything relevant. Seth Meyers as Thomas Jefferson actually somewhat saved this. I know people like to give him a lot of flack for his overacting in sketches from his pre-Update period in the cast but this didn't exactly bring back memories of his worst tendencies as a performer. In fact, I just like seeing Seth in general as he has really stepped up his political humor game in the age of Trump (as evidenced by his stint as host of Late Night). The speech at the end was a little schmaltzy, though. Also, do Seth and Jimmy tape their shows at the exact same time? I can't imagine how else they'don't both have time to drop by Studio 8H on a Weeknight at 7PM EST. I'don't imagine Seth would either be taping his show at this time or rushing over from just finishing taping his show to be there. Then again, I did just remember Seth's studio is just around the corner in the same hallway as 8H (it's 8G actually) so it must'be been no big deal at any rate.

Kenans' Neil DeGrasse Tyson will likely always be funny. He had great material here. I know he's really trying with his impressions here but he almost came off flamboyant gay.

Now, we come to Tina's commentary. First of all, I had no idea she graduated from UVA. Secondly, while I thought the things she said while shoveling cake into her face were undoubtedly very funny the Twitter backlash just seemed like another rift between the liberals and the leftists to me. I'd even go so far as to say it's just an issue of perspective in that each side could benefit from seeing each others more. I do understand that while a rich white liberal like Tina (no matter how seemingly out of touch) wants to keep herself, her kids and her husband safe, most leftists and activists (particularly the ones belonging to ethnic groups being targeted) may not have the option of NOT protesting out of either moral obligation or just their very livelihood being at stake. In fact, we saw the following weekend that showing up to these rallies as counter protesters in much greater numbers than the neo nazis can actually grind them to a halt which to some might make Tinas' suggestion seem more naive. Some have even defended Tina as making fun of rich, out of touch white liberals by taking that position herself. I didn't entirely buy that at first until I remembered the grilled cheese thing and the fact that she called Trump "gorgeous". But hey, it's just comedy right? It's not like people didn't learn anything from it and the REAL news in the span of a week?

I was wondering how they were going to address the events in Charlottesville and they did a fine job of doing so while not focusing ENTIRELY on Trumps' response. As strange as it was to see Jost and Che just behind the desk with no map, it's even stranger to see them behind a desk that still has a half demolished cake sitting on top of it.

Stay tuned for me review of the third and final WU summer edition Thursday episode.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.