VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 20:45:57 09/01/17 Fri
Author: HerbertMcHoover
Subject: My thoughts and stuff from my old reviews.
In reply to: Episodes 3-5 's message, "A gathering of knowledge and comments on season 21" on 15:56:42 08/30/17 Wed

SCHWIMMER:
• When Kudrow and Aniston stood up, it reminded me of a few years ago when Kirstie Alley hosted and her fellow Cheers cast members joined her to sing the theme song. It would have been nice to have someone sit in with the band or somewhere unordinary, just like George Wendt did.

• Also, for the monologue, there is a ton of enthusiasm from the audience! They ate up everything. Complete turnaround from last season three episodes into the season. The audience was louder in the monologue than it was in entire episodes in season twenty!

• Never understood why they put Grayson Moorehead Securities in the best-of commercial specials. Because of Jim Downey? Why not just use First Citiwide Change Bank instead?

• Yeah, Cheri did curse in the debut of Rita Delvecchio. These days, I doubt the character would recur after a slip-up like that, but this was Cheri's first big character (Cheerleaders were a few episodes later as mentioned). It was easy for the swear to pass by if you weren't listening carefully enough. I liked how Cheri had to put a dollar in the swear jar after the episode.

• Colin Quinn made his live SNL debut in the Elevator sketch. He also voiced a caller in The Chicken Lady Show sketch from the premiere, but this was his first actual appearance.

• Spade some jokes at the expense of SNL in Spade in America. Again, the segment worked better when he had someone to play off of or did a Hollywood Minute. This segment had both.

• Thank god Mark McKinney did not play Melanie again in Slim Shannon. He played a different girl.

BYRNE:
• SNL seemed to have trouble booking hosts this season. Things picked up toward the middle of the season, although most hosts were safe picks, friends of the show, cast alum or Elle MacPherson. I think by the end of the season when they got Jim Carrey (finally!) and Tom Hanks to begin next season (both rejected the season 20 premiere, IIRC), the show recovered with its selection. Tarantino the next episode was also a solid name.

• Norm gets his first LFNY in the cold opener. In fact, he is the first non-Tim Meadows cast member to say LFNY all season long.

• This did not feel like a Halloween show.

TARANTINO:
• SNL seemed to have a slow start for monologues this season. Aside from the season premiere and Schwimmer, the other three have been ones to forget. I'd say the next above average one after those two I highlighted was Christopher Walken, which led off the second half.

• This episode featured the first of six(!) Spartan Cheerleaders sketches this season and this was just episode five. These characters became immensely popular in a hurry, even if this debuting installment dragged.

• Spade appears briefly during the goodnights, before scurrying off in a hurry.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.