VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5678910 ]
Subject: I'm Not Ready Yet

Author:
usmgrad
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 04:07:20 06/13/08 Fri

Title - I'm Not Ready Yet
Author - usmgrad

This was written in response to a challenge. A glimpse of "my Rabb family" many years in the future.

The room was full of excitement, but Harm was having a difficult time joining in the merriment. Where did the years go? It seemed like it was only yesterday . . .

A laughter caught Harm's attention. He looked across the room and saw his daughter reach for her mother's hand. Only Harm didnít see a grown woman, he saw a scared little girl of five holding tight to her mom's hand on the first day of kindergarten.

Emily stood and smoothed her dress making sure it lay just right. Harm didnít see a blushing bride, he saw a teenager getting ready for her first date.

Looking into the mirror and checking her veil one more time Emily smiled. In the reflection Harm saw a broken hearted teenager crying because her boyfriend had just broken up with her.

The bridal party posed for one last picture. Harm didn't see the bride and her attendants; he saw a high school graduate in cut offs and tee shirt saying goodbye as she left home for college.

Harm closed his eyes, to clear his mind and whispered to no one in particular. "Why am I doing this?"

"Because it's the right thing to do" came a reply from his wife who was now standing by his side. "Are you okay?"

"I don't know. This is harder than I thought it would be."

"You didn't think she would stay your little girl forever did you?"

"No, I've stopped trying to stop her from growing up."

"Then what is it?"

"I want more time. I'm not ready yet."

Mac patted her husband's arm and kissed his cheek. She understood.

The bridal party was in place outside the church just as the music started. Each one entered the church on cue until only Harm and Emily were left.

"Daddy, you're not going to cry are you?"

"Of course not," he said as the tears pooled in his eyes.

"We better get going" pointing to the front of the church "he's probably getting nervous you won't show." Harm said with a slight laugh.

"He can wait a minute, it will teach him patience." Emily said with a wink.

Harm looked at his beautiful daughter, all grown up. He needed to ask, just to settle his heart. "Do you love him?"

"With all my heart."

Harm nodded his head, "And he loves you?"

"Yes." Taking her father's hand Emily reassured him, "I will always be your little girl; no one can ever take that away."

"I love you Emily." Harm placed a kiss on her check and whispered "Be happy."

"I am Daddy" Emily squeezed his hand, "I love you too."

Harm took his daughter's arm and did the hardest thing he had ever done; he walked his little girl down the aisle and gave her away.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
oh how sweet. (NT)jd06:51:56 06/13/08 Fri
So Sweet !I almost cried. (NT)gypsyrose0623:06:37 06/27/08 Fri

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.