VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5678910 ]
Subject: Agony of Life : part 10 and 11

Author:
rooster dawn
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 19:49:11 07/17/08 Thu
In reply to: rooster dawn 's message, "Agony of Life : part 8 and 9" on 19:47:36 07/17/08 Thu

part ten Bonding

They had a light dinner before going back outside to sit on the back porch. Mackenzie had the photo album and was sitting next to Mac. She wanted to hear some stories about them.

“My mom has been telling me I shouldn’t be so set on one hairstyle. She says that too much hair can detract from a beautiful face. I never understood what she meant until I looked through your album.

You have had so many different hairstyles, sometimes as many as three in one year. I wondered why you didn’t stay with just one?” asked Mackenzie.

“When I was your age, I always thought the same thing. I had long hair like you have now. It was long and very silky. I thought it made me looked beautiful. I always tried putting my hair up in many different way.

It was a way to pretend I was someone else. I also had all the time in the world to take care of my hair too, but after I joined the marines it became a lot of extra work. I had to tack it up everyday.

Then every night I had to spend time combing it so it would be straight again. Then there was the time issue, that is, not enough time. As a marine I had to shower and get ready in ten minutes.

It’s impossible with long hair. It would take longer than that just to wash and condition my hair properly. So one day I had it cut short. I kind of liked it that way for a long time, though there were a few hairstyles I didn’t like.” explained Mac.

“Let me guess, the time you went flying with Dad.” smirked Mackenzie.

“Yeah, it was definitely cut a little too short that time. It took awhile for it to grow out. It was the first time he took me up in Sarah, his bi-plane.” began Mac.

“I know the one. We went flying in it several times a few weeks ago. He even let me fly it. He said I was a natural.” smiled Mackenzie.

This annoyed Billy a bit. He was the one who wanted to go to the Naval Academy and become a Naval aviator.

“He still has Sarah? I loved it the first time I went up with him. It was fun having the wind blow through my hair. It wasn’t fun when Harm had to set the plane down in a field. I got shot by poachers.” moaned Mac.

“I told you we should have stayed with the plane.” argued Harm.

“Some point along the way Harm we would have had to hiked out of there. You were lucky to find a rubber fuel line to get us out of there.” replied Mac.

“Harm, me, and planes are a bad combination.”

“Do you have any other stories?” asked Mackenzie. “How about explaining this photo.”

“That was taken when we were in Russia. We were in Russia looking for information about his father. He had been shot down in Viet Nam in 1969. As it turned out he was taken to Russia as part of their plan to build a jet similar to the ones the Navy was flying at the time.

We found out he escaped a Russian gulag somewhere in Siberia in 1980. Harm stole a Russian MIG. We didn’t get very far before they shot us down.” smiled Mac.

“I didn’t have any weapons, but I did get us to safety before the missiles hit the MIG.” Harm said in defense.

“Wow! That’s awesome!” chirped Billy.

“Don’t encourage him. He was always pulling stunts like that. Anyways, we were picked up by gypsies. That was my gypsy outfit.” smiled Mac.

“You looked so beautiful. Did you ever find Harm’s dad?” asked Mackenzie.

“He died a year later defending the honor of a young woman.” replied Mac.

“I liked this photo of you Mac. You looked kind of cute, but dopey at the same time.” offered Billy, which caused Harm to laugh.

“You must be talking about the time Mac and I were in Afghanistan and we were dressed in desert BDU’s.” smiled Harm. “I told her the same thing back then.”

“Did she hurt you like GI Jane did in the movies?” asked Billy.

“Not directly. We were driving along a dirt road. I noticed that he seemed to be very content. I said to him you love it here, it’s man country. He smiled in agreement.” replied Mac.

“She wasn’t paying attention to where she was driving and almost hit a herd of goats. She swerved to miss them and ran over a couple of land mines in the process throwing me into the middle of the mine field.” said Harm with a huff.

“I got you out of there didn’t I. He wouldn’t let me drive for the next six months.” pouted Mac.

“Well you did wreck the Humvee and we had to walk.” argued Harm.

“We spent the night out in the desert. It was so peaceful and quiet before we almost got killed by a bombing run authorized by a friend of ours.” continued Mac.

“Aren’t you forgetting something Mac? You set up our sleeping area with a divider in the middle. It was going to get cold that night.” smiled Harm.

“Yeah, that was funny. You asked me if you should call down to the front desk to ask if we could have separate rooms.” smiled Mac.

“I asked you if you needed an invitation. You said yes and gave me one of your big beautiful smiles.” sighed Harm as he pretended to be in a dreamlike state.

“It was a fun. We found a good way to stay warm.” smiled Mac.

The Johnsons listened to the stories. They were amazed that two lawyers could have such adventures. They love the bantering they saw between Harm and Mac. They truly loved each other, they could see that.

It made their lives as college professors seem dreary and uneventful. They were sad though that two wonderful people had missed the last eighteen years together. What a heartache it must have been for them.

“A couple of days later we were driving across Afghanistan. We were searching for a terrorist. Harm drove all night because ..... well you know why. We somehow managed to drive through two warring tribes. They decided to shoot at us instead of each other.

We found his truck the next day. He had been transporting dirty nuclear material. We helio back to the fleet and reported what we found. We found out that that the terrorist had bought an old Russian sub.

Harm flew the mission to find the sub. We thought that they might fire a torpedo, but instead it was a missile with a dirty nuke warhead. By the time Harm found the Missile,

it was too close to the fleet so Harm decided to play tag with it. He let the missile lock on his tomcat and he led the missile away from the fleet before it died out.” concluded Mac.

“Wow! That’s totally awesome!” exclaimed Billy.

“Don’t you even think about doing something like that young man. There’s no certainly that you will be going to the academy, particularly if you have ideas like that.” replied Mrs. Johnson putting a damper on the idea.

“I don’t think you have to worry Ma’am. Most of my career flying tomcats were spent boring holes in the sky. Even during wartime it’s still pretty safe. I happen to be lucky to see as much action as I did.

Most of it was after I became a jag. I received two DFC’s and the Navy Cross after I stopped flying full time.” smiled Harm.

“Sorry Ma’am.” began Jack. “I guess I shouldn’t have told him about my black ops. Harm had to come in and pull my six out of the fire a few times. But Harm is right Ma’am. I flew for the Navy almost twenty five years.

There are a few risk, but most of them are manageable because of all the work that goes into developing the jets in the first place. Landing a jet in inclement weather or at night on a rolling deck is usually the hardest thing for most pilots.

Wars are few and far between. And in today’s fighting most of it’s done at twenty thousand feet and lasting only for a few weeks. The last big one was in 2003 and it lasted less than three weeks.”

“By the way Ma’am, I have interviewed him and counseled him about getting into the Naval Academy. I told him that he can’t just be good, he has to be special. He has to be the best and that includes extra curricular activities.

The Naval Academy trains only the best leaders in the world. And I would be honor to give him a letter of recommendation when the time comes as well as I’m sure Harm will too.”

part eleven The unknown truth

Mac and Mackenzie went for a walk. Mac wanted some alone time with her daughter and wanted to get to know her a little better. She wanted to know how well she did in school. Did she play any sports? Was she going to college.

“I can’t believe that you’re here Mom. My parents told me you died giving birth to me. I always wondered who you were and what you looked like.” Kenzie rambled on. She was so happy to see Mac.

“I can hardly believe it myself. My original intention of coming here today was to see Harm. I haven’t seen him since the day you were born. I’ve missed him so much.

When Jack called me, he told there would be a surprise for me. Never in my wildest imagination did I believe I would be seeing you Mackenzie. You are so beautiful. I’m sorry that I have missed you going up.” wailed Mac.

“I’m glad you’re here. I only met Dad a few weeks ago. He told me so much about you. He showed me the photo albums you had. I could see that you and he were deeply in love with each other. I wanted to meet you, but I thought I never would.” replied Kenzie. Her emotions were catching up with her.

“I heard that you graduated class valedictorian. That’s quite impressive. Did you participate in any sports? Are you going to college?” asked Mac changing the subject.

“I played volleyball, basketball, and softball. I was the captain of all three teams. I’m going to Princeton in the fall. I’m going to major in political science.” replied Kenzie.

“You know that’s usually the first step in becoming a lawyer. By the way do you speak any languages other than English?” queried Mac.

“I took French and Spanish in seventh grade through tenth. I took German my last two years.” smiled Kenzie, quite pleased with herself.

“Quite impressive, I see that you have inherited my abilities for languages.” smiled Mac. Harm never was very good at picking up a new language.

“I take it that you must speak many languages then. Can I ask how many?” asked Kenzie curiously.

“I’m not sure off hand. When I graduated high school I spoke Spanish since I grew up in the Southwest. I learned French in high school, It was the diplomat’s language back then. I learned Farsi from my grandmother. She was from Persia.

In college I learned German, Italian, and Russian. I learned Japanese when I was stationed in Japan. I learned Serbian during the Balkan War. Later on I learned Arabic and Hebrew during the war on terrorism.” smiled Mac.

“Wow! That’s incredible!” replied Kenzie.

They had finished their walk and went to sit on the porch with Harm and the rest of family.

“I have a secret to tell you Mackenzie, not even Harm knows.” began Mac. “I’m sure Harm told you about how we met.”

“He said you met him in a rose garden.” she replied.

“That’s true as far as he knows, but we met a long time before then.” confirmed Mac.

“I don’t understand.” replied Mackenzie.

“We actually met at the Naval Academy in 1982. I went by the name Diane Schonke back then. It was the name I grew up with.” explained Mac.

Not only was Mackenzie surprised by that revelation, but Harm was too. He didn’t understand. Diane had been killed by Commander Hobart. He had met Mac six months later. Mac was a gung ho Marine.

The Diane he knew didn’t like Marines. She always had such low opinions of them. There was no way she would have become one.

“That can’t be true. I saw Diane the day she died. She was shot in the chest.” exclaimed Harm.

“Did you ever check the body Harm? A seedy looking character came up to me after I left the ship. I was enjoying eating an early breakfast when he approached me. The next thing I knew I woke up a couple of days later. I think you can guess who the man was.” sighed Mac.

“Webb!” replied Harm.

“Yep, he had a mission for me. He saw in my records that I spoke many languages. So I spent the next few months in Bosnia.” answered Mac.

“How? Why Sarah MacKenzie? You weren’t a lawyer, how did you become one so quickly?” asked Harm.

“Sarah MacKenzie was the name I was given at birth. As you know I was adopted. So when it was time to rejoined the world of the living I came back as Sarah MacKenzie. As for how I became a lawyer, it’s pretty simple really.

Since you decided to become a lawyer, I thought if I became one too, we could be together. I only had to pass the bar exam when Webb abducted me. Uncle Matt’s stunt just made it easier for Webb to get me stationed at Headquarter to be with you.” smiled Mac.

Mackenzie found the whole story interesting, but confusing at the same time. Her mother had led an interesting life.

“I thought you were dead. Why didn’t you tell me?” moaned Harm.

“I couldn’t Harm, there wasn’t anything I could do. I’m sorry, but it did let us be together for the next nine years even though we didn’t get married until near the end.” wailed Mac.

“What about the second time you died Sarah? It just about killed me.” cried Harm.

“According to Webb, I did die on the table. They were lucky to get my heart going again, but due to the loss of blood my body shut down and I was in a coma for six months. I wanted to see you when I woke, but Webb told me everyone though I was dead.

It took another three months before I recovered fully. I wanted to go looking for you, but you were gone, you weren’t at headquarters anymore. Webb talked me into joining Naval Intelligence. I stayed with them until I retired.

I tried looking for you when I returned to the states. I even scared poor Harriet when I saw her. She couldn’t believe that I was alive. Unfortunately she told me she hadn’t seen you since you left headquarters shortly after I supposedly died.

According to Bud, you served two more years before you retired as a Captain. I looked everywhere I could think of, but you had dropped off the face of the earth.” wailed Mac.

The hurt and pain that had long been put away was back. She had been alone for eighteen years. There wasn’t anyone in the world but Harm for her.

“I died inside that day. I tried to work through it, but I couldn’t. I finally left the navy and drank my self into oblivion for the next three or four years. I finally sobered up and slowly put my life back together.

I ended up back at the farm about six years ago. I practice law part time now.” replied Harm.

Mackenzie sat there stunned to hear the heartbreaking story of her parents. It amazed her how they found each other again the first time. And now after eighteen years they had found each other again. She didn’t know whether to be happy or sad.

“I still love you Flyboy.” sniffled Mac.

“I love you too Ninja girl.” replied Harm as he took her into his arms and held her tightly.

“Enough of this sad stuff. We have a beautiful daughter to get to know. Maybe she would like to spend some time with us at the farm before she goes away to college.”

“That would be nice Flyboy, until today I didn’t know I had a beautiful little girl.” smiled Mac.

“She not exactly little anymore. She as tall as you.” smiled Harm as he leaned in to give her a kiss.

The End

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.