VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5678910 ]
Subject: A Night or Three to Remember : part 7

Author:
skates
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12:14:22 07/20/08 Sun
In reply to: skates 's message, "A Night or Three to Remember : part 1" on 20:00:35 07/17/08 Thu

part 7

Reagan International

Harm decided to go to the airport alone to pick up his mother. He didn’t want her to go into sensory overload too quickly. Besides it had been five years since he had last seen her.

It was only fair to give her all his attention for a short while. It wasn’t long after he arrived that he saw her flight had come in. He waited for her to disembarked. They hugged each other upon meeting.

“Hi Mom, did you have a nice flight?” he asked her.

“Hi Harm, it wasn’t anything special. Frank couldn’t come. He’s in Europe on a business trip.” she replied a little disappointed.

“I’m sorry to hear that Mom. I have a surprise or two for you.” he smiled. He wanted to get her mind focus on more positive things.

“You’ve met a girl Harm?” she stated more than asked. She hoped it was true. She wanted grandchildren so much.

“You might say that Mom. I actually met her years ago, but we have just recently rediscovered each other.” he answered her.

They picked up her bags and got into Sarah’s SUV. Trish was a little surprised. Harm had always liked driving fast cars. She remembered he was driving a corvette the last time she saw him. Though when that was had long ago faded from her memory.

“New car Harm?” she asked as they made their way out of the airport and to his new home. She was looking to get more information.

“It’s not my vehicle Mom. I still drive the vette. It’s my friend’s car. You know the one you want to meet.” he smiled. He knew he had her.

“Am I going to meet this young lady Harm?” she asked.

“Only if you’re good Mom.” he replied as they drove along to the happiest day of her life.

“What’s she like Harm?” she asked.

“She’s a marine Mom.” replied Harm.

“I thought the Academy taught you about not getting involved with marines Harm.” smiled Trish as she shook her head.

“They said to stay away from short fat bald headed ones. They had the tendency to have tattoo, chew tobacco, and spit. This marine is short and scrawny.” smiled Harm.

The MacKenzie/Rabb Estate

Twenty minutes later they arrived at the estate. Harm looked over at his mother as she took in the view. He could tell she was surprised to be here. He smiled at her sense of wonderment.

“What are we doing here Harm? Is this where your lady friend lives?” she asked. She must have come from money.

“I live here Mom. This is my house.” he smiled as she looked at him as if he lost his mind.

“When did you have time to find and buy this house Harm? You have been on a carrier the last five years.” she demanded to know.

“I didn’t say I looked for a house Mom. I only said I live here.” he teased.

Trish just shook her head. He was playing words games with her. She wondered if he would ever tell her the truth about anything.

Inside Sarah was having a talk with her girls. She wanted them to know that they were going to have a visitor, Harm’s mother. That she might be staying with them for a week or maybe two.

“Where did Daddy go Mom?” Ronnie asked. “He said he would play Chutes and Ladders with Tory and me.”

“He went to pick someone up at the airport. She is very special to him.” she replied.

“Who is she?” Tory asked.

“His mother.” she replied. She wanted Tory to work it out. She could see their little minds working.

“If she’s Daddy’s mommy, ....... that would mean she’s ..... ” Tory was smiling now. “ ... our Grandmother. We have a grandmother!” she chirped happily.

She began clapping her hands along with her sisters. They knew grandmothers were special. Grandma Sydney always did special things with them. She took them to all kind of neat places, bought them presents all the time, and she always bought them ice cream.

Harm and his mother walked up to the front door and went inside. He put her things by the stairs and hung up their coats. They went into the family room where there was a nice fire going.

They went in and sat down on the couch. A minute later Sarah walked in with a pot of coffee and placed it on the coffee table. If Trish was a man she would have whistled. This woman was beautiful. She reminded her of someone she knew a long time ago.

“Mom, I would like to you to meet Sarah MacKenzie. She is the woman I was telling you about. She’s the one who found this house and bought it.” he introduced her proudly to his mother.

“Sarah, this is my mother Trish Burnett. She remarried after my father was declared MIA in Viet Nam.”

“Hi Trish, I hope you enjoyed your trip.” she greeted Harm’s mother.

“Hello Sarah, this is a nice house. You’ll have to show me around.” Trish replied. She wondered if they were living together. She wondered if they were sleeping together.

They talked for awhile and drank their coffee. Sarah giving her some background information about who she was and what she did.

“I’m from Arizona originally. My father and uncle were Marines. I guess it was my destiny to be a Marine like it was for Harm to be a squid and a pilot. I’m a lawyer at Jag. Harm is going to be joining me there after the first of the year.” she smiled when she said that.

It was a smile that was so beautiful that Trish could understand why Harm was with her. She was beginning to see why Harm was returning to Jag. She was happy about that. She never did like him flying jets.

About twenty minutes later Sarah left the room and returned with the girls. Trish’s back was facing them as they came into the room. When Sarah led them around in front of Trish, Trish was taken by surprise.

Though she knew Sarah wasn’t a young woman, she figure Sarah to be around thirty five, she was surprised to see her with four girls. The three youngest ones looked just like her. They had to be Sarah’s.

She was confused with the oldest. She didn’t look like either Harm or Sarah. She was beginning to wonder what Harm had gotten himself into. She knew he wanted a family some day, but she was surprised he would get involved with someone who already had four girls.

“Trish, I would like you to meet Victoria. She’s seven and will be eight early next year.” Sarah began.

Tory went over to Trish and gave her a big hug. “Hi Grandma. I was the first. We want you to stay. You can call me Tory.”

Trish was a little surprise at this greeting, but she was raised with manners. “Hi Victoria, you are a beautiful young lady.”

“This is Veronica, she is four, she will be five in February.” Sarah smiled.

Ronnie went over to Trish and gave her a hug. “Hi Grandma, I’m a middle child, I like to cause trouble. You can call me Ronnie.”

Trish laughed “Hi Veronica, you’re as beautiful as your sister. Harm was a troublemaker too when he was young.”

Ronnie looked over at her mother. Sarah looked at Harm before responding “I told you she took after you.”

“This little one is Elizabeth, she’s twenty one months old, she doesn’t have any of Harm’s bad traits yet.” she laughed at Harm’s hurt look.

Lizzie waddled over to Trish and gave her the most adorable hug ever. Trish felt as if Lizzie was melding with her. “Hi Grandmaw, I’m a...dor...able. I love you. You call me Lizzie.” she once again cuddled into Trish.

“You are the sweetest little thing Elizabeth. I think I love you and your sisters too. I like cuddling too.” Trish said with tears in her eyes. She had never felt this amount of love before. It felt so good.

“And this is Chloe. We adopted her four years ago. She’ll be fifteen next month. She’s my special girl.” Sarah said as she gave Chloe a hug.

“Hi Grandmother, it’s nice to meet you, this has been the best Christmas for us. First Dad came home and now we have you. Thank you.” Chloe said sincerely as she gave Trish a hug.

Trish was really shocked now. She needed to find out what the real story was. Here she thought Harm had gotten involved with a woman with children, but was that really true. Or was he really their father. If he was, why hadn’t he told her.

“Thank you Chloe, that’s nice of you to say. I’ll have to give Frank, ..... your grandfather, a call and tell him he needs to get back here tout suite. I’m sure he’ll be surprised to see you all as much as I am.” Trish smiled with delight.

“I’m surprised that they all look like you Sarah. I would have thought that at least one would have looked like their father.” continued Trish looking for more information.

“Superior genes won out Trish. But they all seem to have a lot of Harm’s personality. They can be very obstinate, they like to get into trouble a lot, and they plead the fifth when it’s time to talk.” she grinned.

“I can’t argue with you on that account Sarah. Harm was a very inquisitive boy. It did get him into trouble at times, but most of the time he was a good kid.” Trish smiled.

She liked Sarah, she was very refreshing. She was beautiful and obviously quite intelligent, she did pair up with her boy. Her girls were impeccable and well mannered.

“Why don’t I show you around the house while Harm gets dinner ready. It shouldn’t take too long.” Sarah offered.

“Thank you Sarah, I would like that very much.” Trish replied as they got up.

2100 hours
St. John’s
Episcopal Church
Georgetown

Later that night after a wonderful dinner Harm and Sarah took the girls and grandma to church for Christmas Eve Service. It was the first one for Harm in nearly twenty years. Trish attended Christmas Eve Service every year.

She was please to see Sarah had made religion a part of the girls’ life. Religion added value to one’s life. It gave it meaning, purpose, and direction.

The church was beautiful. You only found churches like this on the East Coast. They were a reflection of the European classical influences of the 17th, 18th, and 19th century architecture. Sarah had made a nice choice.

She loved the High Mass. It wasn’t often she was privilege to such a treat. The service lasted a little longer than normal, but that was alright. She got to hear the Christmas hymns sung by an excellent choir.

She also had the opportunity to hear Harm sing again. It had been such a long time. She tried to reflect to when it was. Probably during his time at the academy. He had such a wonderful voice.

And Sarah sung like a songbird. Her voice was so beautiful. She could listen to it for hours. Even the girls had nice voices, so sweet. She was falling in love with these girls so fast.

She needed to convince Frank to move to Washington. There was no way she wanted to miss out on their lives. She had waited too long to have grandchildren not to be a part of their lives.

She smiled in satisfaction that she had been able to reach Frank before they went to Church. He agreed to be on an early flight from England and would arrive before noon. She gave him directions to the house.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
A Night or Three to Remember : part 8skates11:26:08 07/22/08 Tue

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.