VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]678910 ]
Subject: When First We Meet : part two

Author:
tomboone
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:24:52 05/17/08 Sat
In reply to: tomboone 's message, "When First We Meet : part one" on 14:44:41 05/16/08 Fri

part 2 The dance begins

1200 hours
JAG Headquarters

They arrived at headquarters twenty minutes later. It was a small enclosed compound of several buildings guarded by a company of marines. Historic was Sarah’s first thought.

They were to meet with Clayton Webb when they got to JAG Headquarters. He was waiting for them in the Admiral’s office. He briefed them on their assignment. They were to recover a stolen document, the Declaration of Independence from a Colonel Matthew O’Hara.

Sarah was a little stunned. Now she knew why she had been pulled from her double murder case. They were expecting her to find and lead them to her Uncle Matt. Webb had the look of CIA or some other spy network. The title that he gave them had to be a cover.

Somehow she knew she had to find her uncle by herself and convinced him to return the document. She didn’t want him to get hurt or killed. She knew the CIA didn’t care if her uncle lived or died. They had been embarrassed.

Uncle Matt, why in the world would you do something like this she wondered? Why couldn’t you have retired somewhere and forget about the troubles of the world?

1230 hours
Harm’s Apartment

Harm and Sarah had a flight out to Arizona in two hours. Harm took Sarah over to the BOQ to get her a room and pack a bag for their trip. She packed an extra uniform, some undergarments and some civvies for a couple of days.

Then they went over to Harm’s residence. When they arrived at his place Sarah shook her head, she was aghast. The building looked like an abandon warehouse. What person in his right mind would want to live here? The area was definitely depressed.

They walked into the building to his apartment. It was even worse. Sarah was shock to say the least. What a pigsty. She shook her head again. All good things had to come to an end sometime. The man that she had thought was perfect wasn’t that perfect after all.

“Nice decorum Harmon. What do they call this, early disaster?” asked Sarah as she started to giggle.

“No. I just recently moved in here. My last place was shot up while I was protecting an ambassador’s wife. The landlord gave me a break in the rent if I fixed the place up myself.” replied Harm.

“Couldn’t you hire someone to come in here and do it for you. It would be much easier and quicker if you did.” asked a perplexed Sarah.

“I could do that, but I like doing things myself. I like working with my hands.” replied Harm as he smiled.

“Do I need to give you a red light Commander?” kidded a bemused Sarah.

“What? No. I meant I like to use tools to do work around the house.” responded a surprised Harm.

Where did that come from Harm thought to himself? She does seem to have a wry sense of humor. She thinks quickly on her feet. Just maybe this could work out thought Harm. She more than just a pretty face.

“When did you learn how to do all this?” asked an interested Sarah.

Not only is he good looking and smart, but also he knows how to work around the house. He definitely is a find. I’m going to have to get to know him a lot better thought Sarah. He’s definitely someone I wouldn’t mind having in my life everyday.

“A few years ago I crash my tomcat in a ramp strike. I was very seriously injured. During my recovery I spent a lot of time on my Grandmother’s farm. There was an old Stearman bi-plane my father and I were going to rebuild when he came back from Viet Nam, but he never came back.

At first I didn’t want anything to do with it. It reminded me that I wouldn’t be flying jets anymore. Later I learn about how to do the work and developed my skills as a tradesman.

It also was good therapy for me as I came to grips that I wouldn’t be a naval aviator anymore. It gave me time to figure out whether or not I wanted to stay in the Navy and what to do about my career.” explained Harm.

“So you don’t fly anymore?” asked Sarah.

“No, not on a regular basis anymore. I’ve only flown a few times since last year, usually when I’m investigating a mishap involving jets.” replied Harm.

“What did you fly?” asked Sarah curiously.

“Tomcats!” replied Harm with a sense of pride as his chest thrust out.

“This is an interesting use of a refrigerator.” observed Sarah as she looked inside for something cold to drink.

“A cooler inside a refrigerator with ice to keep things cold. You could just plug it in.”

“I haven’t had the chance to wire the electrical outlets yet. It’s my next task.” smiled Harm.

He hadn’t felt this comfortable talking with a woman since Diane’s death. Sarah was everything that Diane was and more. Diane had been a special woman in his life, but somehow Sarah promised to be so much more.

Not only did she have Diane’s beauty, intelligence, and wit, but she had a sense of strength and power, that is she was in total control. He was going to have to earn everything he got from her. He was going to enjoy getting to know her. He then heard her stomach growling.

“Are you going to feed me before we get on the plane for Arizona?” asked Sarah as she grabbed a couple of drinks.

“I supposed I could if I have something in the cooler.” smiled Harm.

“Well there’s not much in here.” replied Sarah.

“Maybe we should stop somewhere on the way to the airport. Okay Sarah, what would you like to eat.” asked Harm. It was time to be charming.

“A juicy hamburger and some hot greasy fries would taste pretty good right about now.” replied Sarah.”

“You eat dead cow? Ugh!” replied Harm as he pretended to put a disgusted look on his face. “But if that’s what you want I do know a place we can stop at.”

“What? I’m a Marine, we need to eat raw meat two or three times a day.” she replied a little amused at his antics.

Harm took her Beltway Burgers and Sarah was in cow heaven. She grabbed two beltway burgers and a large order of fries. Harm grabbed a chicken sandwich and a salad. He shook his head in amazement as she devoured the food in front of her.

“I see you like the food.” commented Harm.

“It’s been over eight hours since I last ate. I had to grab a very early flight this morning. This place is great Harm. Thank you so much.” replied Sarah as she gave him one of her best smiles.

Harm almost fell out of his chair when he saw her smile. Wow! She is so beautiful. How am I supposed to work with her without falling in love with her. Her eyes are so expressive. It’s like they communicate everything she’s thinking.

A short while later they were on the plane flying back to Arizona. Sarah had fallen asleep. It was her second long airplane ride of the day and she was tired. As she slept her head slumped over onto Harm’s shoulder.

Harm looked over and smiled. Boy did she look beautiful sleeping there. He lifted his arm up so she could rest her head on his chest. He then wrapped his arm around her. He knew he shouldn’t do so while they were in uniform, but she would be more comfortable.

A stewardess stopped by and asked him if she could get him or his wife anything. Boy did he wish she was his wife. What was he thinking? He had just met Sarah. He didn’t know anything about her.

He had to put thoughts like that out of his mind for now. He had a job to do. She was his partner, not some woman to wine and dine before getting her into his bed. Let’s just take one step at a time.

Several hours later they landed in Arizona. As they were landing Sarah woke up. She was a little embarrassed to find her head lying on Harm’s chest, but Harm just smiled and said no problem.

They met up with Webb and his cronies. Webb took them out to the hijack site where the document was stolen. They were examining a mail truck that had been carrying the document.

Webb was going up in a helicopter to check the surrounding area for any signs of Colonel O’Hara and his men. Harm was going to join him while Sarah drove to the military base to talk to the base commander.

When Harm saw her going the wrong way he suspected something was amiss. He got out of the helicopter and got into the car with Sarah. She was surprised to see him there. She thought they could conduct the investigation quicker if they split up.

“Where are you going Sarah?” asked Harm warily.

“To the base Harm.” replied Sarah.

“The base is the other way Sarah. Where are you really going?” asked Harm.

“I must have gotten turned around Harm, not enough sleep.” responded an unsure Sarah.

“Not likely marine, what’s the real story?” demanded Harm.

“I don’t think he will be at the base.” replied Sarah

“Who Sarah?” asked Harm.

“Colonel O’Hara, Harm. The Colonel is retired from the marines. There’s a place he’s been known to hang out at. That’s where I was headed.” replied Sarah.

“Then I’m going with you.” demanded Harm.

“I think this is something I should to do alone Commander. The Colonel knows me. He doesn’t know you. You could get hurt.” replied Sarah as she tried to talk Harm out of going with her.

She thought she could talk her uncle into giving her the document if she was alone, but if someone was with her, her uncle might react negatively and someone could get hurt.

“Why is that Sarah?” asked Harm.

“He’s a Marine Colonel.” she replied.

“And I’m a Navy Commander” replied Harm.

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you Commander.” replied Sarah. She wasn’t interested in debating the issue with Harm. She could tell that he was too stubborn to give in to her.

“Who is the Colonel to you Sarah?” asked Harm.

“He’s my uncle, Harm. The most important person in my life.” she relented.

They drove for a couple of hours before they came to a small town. They stopped at a gas station to get some gas. Sarah went into the station to freshen up and change her clothes while Harm arranged to rent a truck from the gas station attendant.

“I think we should change vehicles.” Harm told Sarah.

“Why Harm?” asked Sarah.

“I don’t trust Webb. I think he may have hidden a tracking device somewhere in the car. I don’t want to take a chance. I don’t want him to know where we are going. He’ll probably screw things up.” replied a concerned Harm.

“Why do you say that?” asked Sarah.

“Moving the document by mail was probably his idea, and you see where that got him.” replied Harm.

“What are we going to do?” asked Sarah.

“I’ve arranged with the attendant to rent his truck.” replied Harm smiling.

Sarah took one look at the truck and shook her head.

“What is it with you and old cruddy things Harm? Will this thing even run?” asked Sarah.

“The attendant assures me it will. We can tell the Colonel that I’m your boyfriend. We were out camping when we heard the news about what he did and you wanted to see him. See Sarah, there’s even a bed in the back of the truck.” Harm smiled his famous flyboy smile.

“In your dreams flyboy. So are you going to feed me before we go, I’m hungry.” Sarah replied half smiling.

“Yeah, I guess we can stop and get something to eat. I fed you before we left. Are you always this hungry Sarah?” asked Harm.

“That was over seven hours ago Harm. Only when I’m not fed on a regular timetable. And today has not been a normal day for me.” chuckled Sarah.

As they drove along the road to Red Rock Mesa, Harm kept staring at Sarah. She was becoming a little uneasy.

“Why do you keep staring at me like that Harm?” asked Sarah.

“I keep forgetting you’re not her.” Harm replied sadly.

“The one who wasn’t a marine?” asked a concerned Sarah.

“She only looked like you and talked like you, but I’m not sure about the smile. You haven’t really smiled for me yet.” smiled Harm.

“I’m sure that smile of yours usually gets you what you want with navy squidlets, but it has no effect on me. I’m a marine. We’re immune to the charms of navy squids.” replied a determine Sarah.

“Besides I been too busy and tired to smile. It’s been a very long day.” It’s taking all my self resolve not to pull over and ravage you right here thought Sarah. He’s so gorgeous and it seems like he’s a really caring person.

“I’m not trying to charm you Sarah. I’m only trying to understand and get to know you better.” replied Harm.

“It sounds like I have a twin out there.” answered Sarah.

“Not anymore.” replied a rejected Harm.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Is this the same story posted in the archives by peter? I love that story! (NT)Kimster06:43:27 05/20/08 Tue

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.