VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]678910 ]
Subject: When First We Meet : part 5

Author:
tomboone
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:17:31 05/27/08 Tue
In reply to: tomboone 's message, "When First We Meet : part 3 & 4" on 19:14:36 05/23/08 Fri

part 5 Getting to know you

Three weeks later Sarah was the defense attorney and Harm was the prosecutor for a difficult case. Harm wasn’t doing too well so he tried to play a little trick on Sarah. As it turned out he ended up sandbagging her.

Or so Sarah thought, she was livid with him. How could he do that to her? He made her look like a fool in court. She thought he was finally starting to love her as much as she loved him. When they got home that night she put a pillow and some blankets out on the couch.

“What’s wrong Sarah?” asked a perplexed Harm.

“What’s wrong! You sandbagged me in court today. You made me look like a fool!” yelled an angry and hurt Sarah.

“No I didn’t. You were looking to be led, so I led you in a different direction.” replied Harm with a coy smile.

“Oh, is that what you call it. You’re scum Harmon. You’re sleeping out here on the couch tonight.” replied a still angry Sarah.

“But Sarah, how can you learn to become a better a lawyer if you aren’t exposed to some of the sneaky tricks of the trade. What goes on inside the courtroom has to be kept separate from outside of the courtroom.” answered Harm pleading.

“I don’t care. You shouldn’t have made me look like a fool.” sulked Sarah.

“I’m sorry about that Sarah. I didn’t mean to, but we’re going to have to learn to separate what goes on inside the courtroom and outside it. Otherwise we won’t be able to do our jobs properly and to the best of our ability. It wouldn’t be fair to our clients.” counseled Harm.

“I understand what you’re saying, and I know in my heart you’re right, but I wasn’t expecting you to sandbag me. I’m new around here. You’re supposed to take it easy on me, take care of me. I forgive you this time, but you’re still sleeping on the couch tonight.” smiled Sarah as she kissed Harm good night.

A week later the Admiral assigned them a case at Miramar. During the week they investigated a mishap. One of the jets had developed some problems and crashed. Fortunately the pilots were able to eject safely. They needed to determine if was pilot error or mechanical.

When the weekend came Harm decided to take Sarah home with him to meet his mother and Frank. They live a few miles away from the base. As Harm and Sarah drove up to his parent’s house Sarah let out a gasp. She couldn’t believe what she saw.

“Is this where you grew up Harm? It’s beautiful and it’s so large.” observed Sarah.

“No Sarah, I only lived here after my mother married Frank. I was only here for a few years before I entered the Academy. I never appreciated what I had when I was living here. I was so angry with Frank for marrying my mother. Now I can appreciate what he had done for my mother and me.” replied Harm.

Trish and Frank were on the porch waiting to greet them when they arrived at the house. Harm had called them earlier telling them he was coming and that he had a surprise for them.

“Hello Mom, Frank.” said Harm greeting his parents.

“Harm! It’s so good to see you again. And this must be Sarah.” respond Trish with a lot of sugar.

She was so happy to see her son. She didn’t get to see him that often since he joined the Navy and was living on the other side of the country. Harm rarely came home anymore after he completed flight school.

“Mom, Frank, I would like you to meet someone who has become very special in my life. This is Sarah, ..... my wife.” Harm said to his shocked mother.

“What! You got married Harmon, why didn’t you tell us? Why didn’t you invite us to the wedding? I know I raised you better then that.” asked a happy yet very disappointed Trish. Her baby had gotten married and she wasn’t there to see it. She felt tears coming on.

“I’m sorry Mom. It sort of happens very suddenly and unexpectedly.” replied Harm unsure if his mother could understand.

“Come here Sarah and give me a hug. Welcome to the family.” responded a happy Trish with tears in her eyes.

“Thank you Trish. It’s nice to meet you and Frank. Harm has told me so much about you.” replied Sarah.

She had been very worry that Harm’s parents wouldn’t like her. Harm had told her that they would love her. As usual he was right.

“It’s nice to meet you too Sarah. We were beginning to give up hope that Harmon would ever get married. We thought he was going to become a life long bachelor. Married to the Navy as they say.” teased Frank after giving Sarah a hug.

“Come on now Frank. That’s not entirely true and you know it. Last year I talked to you about Diane. You suggested that I take her some place far away and secluded for a week to discuss our future together.” responded Harm.

“Now that you mention it Harm, I do remember something about that. I’m sorry that you didn’t get the chance to talk with her.” replied Frank quietly.

He knew Harm took Diane’s death very hard. He had talk to Harm about it many times over the phone since her death. He had been worried that Harm might be depress.

“Let’s go around to the back of the house to the porch. It’s such a beautiful day. It’s too nice to be inside. We’ll be in the shade and there is a nice breeze coming in off the ocean.” ordered Trish.

“Who’s Diane?” Sarah asked Harm curiously.

“Harm didn’t tell you about her?” asked Trish slightly confused. How could they have gotten married without talking about their past loves.

“No. He did mention something about how I looked like someone, but she was dead now.” replied Sarah.

“Diane was Harm’s academy sweetheart. They dated while they were at the academy together, but they went their separate ways after graduation.” started Frank.

“She helped Harm out after his ramp strike six years ago. Harm was hurt pretty bad physically and emotionally. She helped him come to grips with the idea he couldn’t fly jets anymore. She helped him decide to become a lawyer.” continued Trish.

“About five months ago they were going away to a cabin in the mountains of Maine to discuss their future together. She was killed the night before they were going to get together. Did Harm ever show you a picture of her?” continued Frank.

“No, he hasn’t. I think he has everything of hers put away somewhere in his apartment. I don’t think he could find anything right now, the apartment is quite a mess. We’re renovating it.” replied Sarah.

“You look exactly like her. You could be twins or at least sisters.” finished Trish.

“We couldn’t be twins, I’m much younger than Harm.” smiled Sarah.

They all went out onto the back porch to sit and talk. Trish had lemonade and sandwiches there waiting for them. She had heard about Sarah’s appetite from Harm. Sarah didn’t disappoint as she finished off two sandwiches.

“Harmon, I’m very surprise to hear that you and Sarah got married. I wasn’t aware that you knew her that well. You haven’t told us much about her. I thought I knew all your friends.” asked an inquiring Trish.

“That’s because I only recently met her mom. We have been so busy fixing up my apartment when we’re not working on cases. She’s my new partner at Jag. She replaced Meg.” replied Harm as he looked towards Sarah.

She was sitting there quietly with a peaceful smile on her face. She was enjoying seeing Harm being grilled by his mother. Now she knew why Harm was such a good lawyer. His mother was good and she knew what questions to ask.

“When did you meet Sarah?” asked Trish.

“Do you remember when I told you about receiving the DFC for saving Tom Boone’s life.” asked Harm.

“Yes. You got that about a month ago. Tom sent me a letter telling me how proud he was of you. You landed that tomcat in the middle of the night even though you hadn’t flown a jet in over five years because you couldn’t see at night.” beamed Trish.

“Well I had been working for the last couple of months without a regular partner. When the Admiral assigned a special case to me, he decided that I needed a special partner.” replied Harm.

“So that’s when they assigned Sarah to you.” asked Trish.

“Yes, and she’s very special.” smiled Harm.

“That’s not entirely true Trish. I was assigned to the case with Harm because it involved my uncle. They thought I could lead them to him.” rebutted Sarah.

“That’s the case that involved the Declaration of Independence right?” asked Frank as he listened intently. He was very interested to understand how Sarah had captured his son’s heart.

“Yes, my uncle stole the document. He wanted to get the attention of the people and the nation’s leaders. The Admiral sent Harm and me after him.” smiled Sarah.

“We needed a way to convince him we were there to join him.” conveyed Harm.

“So Harm wanted to pretend that he was my boyfriend. My uncle sort of believed him.” continued Sarah.

“That was when he found us together in the back of a pickup truck sleeping in each other’s arms, I think he was upset to see me with her.” a big grin came across Harm’s face as he remembered.

“Harmon, I thought I taught you better then that.” declared a surprised Trish.

“Mom, I’m not a child anymore, it’s what adults do today.” as Harm tried to defend himself.

“What happened next?” asked a curious Frank. He wanted to keep the story moving forward.

“My uncle asked me where I met my sailor. I told him I met him in a rose garden.” replied Sarah as her eyes began to sparkle brightly.

“The next thing we knew he had us filling out a form and .. .. ” continued Harm with a smile.

“A priest was there to marry us.” blushed Sarah.

“And you got married?” asked a surprised Trish.

“Yes, we did.” beamed Sarah. It had been the happiest day of her life when she married Harm.

“You had only met Harm the day before?” now Trish was in a state of shock.

She couldn’t believe anyone would marry someone after knowing them for just one day. She knew Harm was a man every woman fell in love with, he did look like his father, but to marry him after only one day. She didn’t quite believe it was possible.

“Yes Ma’am.” smiled Sarah.

“Why Sarah?” a perplexed Trish asked.

“When I was growing up, whenever I saw my uncle I would tell him that some day I was going to marry the man of my dreams. He would ask me how I would know who that man would be.

I told him that I would meet him in a rose garden. He would be dress in white with something shiny on his chest. He would be very tall and handsome.” smiled a very happy Sarah.

“And you met Harm in a rose garden?” asked Trish.

“Yes, It was in the White House Rose Garden. Harm was in his dress whites and gold wings. When we met he looked deeply into my eyes. It felt like he was looking for my soul. Harm had to be the man I was destine to marry.” smile Sarah.

“Wow! That an incredible story Sarah. Though I’m still a little surprise. Harm usually doesn’t make that kind of decision very quickly.” smile a pleased Frank.

“He’s usually very slow and deliberate.”

“Normally you’re right Frank, but we were on a mission to retrieve the document. Sarah seemed to be okay with it, so I went ahead and married her.” smile Harm.

“But you’re still married Harm. I would have thought that if you only married Sarah because of the mission, then you would have had the marriage annulled after you got back.” asked an even more confused Trish. None of this was making any sense to her.

“It wasn’t what Sarah wanted, but she believes in her marriage vows to me. And besides she’s a very special lady. In the month that we have been together I think she knows me better than anyone I’ve ever known. She takes good care of me.

She makes me a better person. She completes me. I’ve never been happier in my life.” Harm smiled warmly as he took her hand and looked deeply into her beautiful brown eyes.

“He does the same for me. He knows me so well. He has gotten me to open up to him like I’ve never done before with anyone else. I thought being a marine and a lawyer was all I needed in my life,

but Harm has made me see that loving someone and being loved was more important. I’m really very happy being with Harm. I never knew one could be this happy.” smiled Sarah as she returned Harm’s gaze.

“But you’ve only been together for a month. How can you really know each other very well. Wait till you have your first big fight.” smiled Trish.

“Oh, we’ve already had one. And of course I lost, but we were able to talk about it.” smiled Harm.

“And it has made us stronger. It kept us from dwelling on things that bother us. We deal with problems immediately. We don’t let them fester.” continued Sarah with a sweet smile.

“It has enabled us to work together as well as oppose each other in court. What is said in court stays there. We don’t bring it home with us.” continue Harm.

“We’re able to separate it because we want to do our best for our clients. We know what is said in court only reflects the case and not our personal lives.” smiled Sarah as she finished Harm’s thought.

“That’s incredible! It usually takes couples years to figure out what you two have in a month.” exclaimed Trish.

“I find it incredible that you two can finish each other’s sentences. It’s like you’re of one mind and body.” laugh an amused Frank.

“Trish and I have been together for many years and we can’t do that. Though I can usually tell when something is wrong.”

“Yeah, I have to agree with you Frank. We do it with the Admiral a lot. It blows his mind away especially when we communicate without saying a word.” laughed Sarah.

“The Admiral’s yeoman has told us that the Admiral has asked him to hold all calls and appointments for an hour sometimes after we have filled him on some of the cases we work on.” smiled Harm.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
When First We Meet : part 6 & 7tomboone14:44:50 05/30/08 Fri

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.