VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]678910 ]
Subject: Re: When First We Meet : part 8 & 9

Author:
tomboone
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:29:07 05/31/08 Sat
In reply to: tomboone 's message, "When First We Meet : part 3 & 4" on 19:14:36 05/23/08 Fri

part 8 phone home

1130 hours
April 1999
Sarah’s office

Sarah had just returned from court. She was getting ready to go to lunch with Harm when Harriet came running into her office looking for her. She had a weird constipated look on her face. Something must be wrong thought Sarah.

“What is it Harriet? You look like your cat just died.” commented Sarah with amusement.

“Ma’am, there is a telephone call for you, a Father Genaro. He’s calling from a hospice in California.” replied Harriet.

“Thank you Harriet. I’ll take it in my office.” replied Sarah. Sarah shook her head in disbelief. She wondered how Harriet had ever become an officer. She was as ditzy as they come.

“Hello, this is Major Sarah MacKenzie.” greeted Sarah as she answered the telephone.

“Hello, my name is Father Genaro. I run a hospice here in California for people dying of cancer. Do you have a father name Joseph MacKenzie who served in the marines?” asked Father Genaro.

“I did at one time, but I don’t know if he’s living or dead. And to be quite honest ..... I don’t care.” replied Sarah angrily.

“Well your father is here. He’s dying. I don’t think he’s going to live much longer. I have sent a letter to your mother, but I haven’t heard back from her.” replied Father Genaro as he tried to convince Sarah to come.

“You don’t know him like I do Father. He abused my mother until she left. He made my last few years in high school a living hell. I hate him and don’t want to ever see him again.” responded Sarah with anger.

“Please come Ms MacKenzie. You both need closure.” begged Father Genaro.

“I’ll think about it Father. But I can’t guarantee you anything.” conceded Sarah.

1230 hours
Olive Garden

An hour later Harm and Sarah were eating lunch at the Olive Garden. They had ordered a pizza for lunch, half meat lovers, half vegetarian. They were eating a salad while they waited for the pizza to come. Sarah seemed to be very quiet. Harm was a bit concerned.

“What is it honey? You’re awful quiet.” asked Harm.

“I got a phone call from a Father Genaro earlier today.” replied Sarah.

“What did he want?” asked Harm curiously.

“He called to tell me my father is dying. He said I should come and see him before he dies. He said we both need closure.” replied an upset Sarah.

“I think he’s right Sarah. You’ve overcome so much in your life. Now it’s time to put to rest all the demons you’ve held onto for so many years.” counseled Harm.

“I don’t know Harm. I’ve spent the last seventeen years hating him for what he did. He destroyed our family.” wailed Sarah.

“I know sweetie, but it’s time to put it to rest. It’s time to face him so you can feel good about yourself.” consoled Harm.

“Okay Harm. I’ll tell the Admiral that I need to take leave.” replied Sarah.

“I’ll be right there with you.” responded Harm.

1330 hours
Admiral’s office

When they got back from lunch Sarah went in to see the Admiral. She needed to take leave for a week to deal with her father dying. She knocked on the door and entered when directed.

“What can I do for you Major? asked the Admiral who was surprised to see her.

“I need to take leave Sir. My father is dying. They don’t expect him to last the week.” replied Sarah.

“I’m sorry to hear that Major. Permission to take leave is granted.” responded the Admiral as he considered how Sarah must be hurting.

“Don’t feel sorry for me Sir, it’s not necessary. He was a bastard and deserves to die. He abused my mother until she left. I got left behind to suffer the brunt of his abuse afterwards. The sooner the bastard dies the better this world will be Sir.” replied an angry marine.

“My apologies Major. You’re dismiss.” replied an embarrassed Admiral.

1500 hours
Admiral’s office

Later that afternoon Harm went in to see the Admiral. Harm didn’t want Sarah to deal with her father dying alone. He knew how upset she was. He wanted to be there for her. He wanted to help her deal with her anger and grief that was sure to follow.

He knocked on the Admiral’s door. He entered when direct to.

“What is it Commander?” asked the Admiral wondering what Rabb wanted.

“Sir, I need to take leave for week.” replied Harm.

“Request denied. The Major is taking leave this week and I’m short handed. I need you here.” responded the Admiral.

“Please Sir. The reason I need leave is to go with the Major. She is very angry and upset with her father. She didn’t want to go, but I convinced her it was necessary for her to go. She needs closure.

She also needs someone to be there for her. She may be angry now, but she may feel differently after her father is finally gone.” argued Harm passionately.

“And that would be you Commander?” asked the Admiral as he already knew the answer.

“Yes Sir. She has been there for me many times over the last few years. I need to be there for her in return.” pleaded Harm.

“Request for leave granted.” sighed the Admiral shaking his head. Once again he had a headache after dealing with Rabb.

part 9 At long last

1000 hours
Hospice

Harm and Sarah flew out to California the next morning. They rented a car to take them to the hospice. When they arrived at the hospice Harm dropped her off before going to hotel to unpack their belongings.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to come in with you Sarah.” asked Harm.

“No, why don’t you take everything to the hotel and get things settled. I need to do this alone.” replied Sarah as he noticed how tired she looked.

“Okay Sarah. I meet you back here in a couple of hours to take you to lunch.” sighed Harm knowing she was right about taking care of the little one.

Sarah went into the hospice to see her father. When she found his room she went in. She saw that he was sleeping. Father Genaro happened to come by and saw Sarah sitting there with her father. He decided to joined her.

“He seems to be sleeping peacefully.” Sarah commented.

“I’m sorry to say he isn’t sleeping. He went into a coma early this morning.” replied the Father.

“What!” shouted Sarah angrily. “How can I get closure with the bastard when that miserable excuse of a man is in a coma.”

“We can by talking about what he told me the last couple of weeks while he was here. He wanted to apologize to you and your mother for mistreating you and his poor behavior.

He also showed me these clippings he had of you that he had saved. He was very proud of you, of your accomplishments, and that you overcame his abuse.” Father Genaro told Sarah.

“That only happens because of my uncle and the love of a good man.” replied Sarah. “I wouldn’t have been able to do any of it without Harm.”

“He was really sorry Sarah. He was later diagnose with being clinically depress for a long time. Particularly when you and your mother were living with him. He was too proud to ask or seek help.

Clinical depression wasn’t understood very well back then. It was still a new field. He had been undergoing treatments for it the last ten years.” the Father told Sarah.

“I didn’t know. All I know was he caused us so much pain.” replied Sarah. “I’ll never forgive him for that.” said Sarah as she left her father’s room to go outside and get some fresh air.

She ran into someone she hadn’t seen in a long, long time. She couldn’t believe who she saw standing there, it was her mother. To say she was shock was an understatement.

“Mom, are you really here? Is it really you?” asked a stunned Sarah.

“Yes sweetie, it’s me. When the padre called me about your father dying I told him I couldn’t care less that he was dying. I hoped he went straight to Hell.

But then I thought about it. What if you had decided to come here? I had to come just in case you did. I couldn’t take the chance of not seeing you. I’ve missed you so much Sarah.” replied her mother Deanne with tears in her eyes.

“I’ve missed you too Mom. I thought I would never see you again.” wailed Sarah as tears began to form in her eyes as well.

“I’m so sorry I left you behind. It never was my intention to do so. You were at your friend’s house for your fifteenth birthday. Your father came home drunk and madder then usual.

He beat me up worse then he ever did before. When he fell asleep I left as quickly as I could. I was so scared.” confessed Deanne.

“I know Mom, I know.” replied Sarah.

“So how are you doing Sarah? I can see even in your uniform that you are very beautiful.” commented Deanne.

“I’m a Major in the marines Mom. And no it’s not because of dad, it’s because Uncle Matt help me so much after high school.” replied Sarah.

“What do you do? Are you married?” asked Deanne.

“I’m a lawyer in Washington DC. And yes, I’m married to the most wonderful man in the whole world.” replied Sarah as she heard Harm walking up the sidewalk.

“Mom, I would like you to meet Harmon Rabb Jr., my husband and my partner at JAG. He’s a lawyer too.” continued Sarah. “He’s in the Navy.”

“Good morning Mrs. MacKenzie.” greeted Harm as he shook her hand.

“Hello Harm. And please call me Deanne. Where did you meet him Sarah or can I guess where?” asked Deanne smiling.

“Do you really remember where Mom?” asked Sarah a little surprise.

“Of course I do sweetie, you only talked about it everyday of your life since you were three. I could never forget that sweetie. You use to say, Mommy, someday I’m going to meet the man of my dreams.

I’ll walk into a rose garden and he will walk up to me and look deep into my eyes as though he was looking into my soul. He will be very tall with dark brown hair and have a great smile. He would be dress in white with something shiny on his chest.” chuckled Deanne as she looked at Sarah and then Harm.

She saw the flyboy grin that Harm was so famous for.

“I met him in the White House Rose Garden. He walked up to me with the Admiral. When I offered him my hand to shake, all he could do was look into my eyes.” smiled Sarah.

“So when did you get married Sarah?” asked Deanne.

“The next day.” giggled Sarah as Harm winced.

“What! How’s that possible Sarah?” asked a stunned Deanne.

She couldn’t believe either one of them would get married that quickly. She knew Sarah wouldn’t trust men that well after years of her father’s abuse.

“Our first case together was to Red Rock Mesa. You know, where Uncle Matt used to take me to look for dinosaur tracks. Well Uncle Matt had stolen a very important document. I was expected go in and find him and get it back from him.

We were waiting for him at the UFO sign. Since we got there after dark, he didn’t come for us until the next morning. He found us sleeping together in the back of a pickup truck. He asked me what I was doing there.

I told him that Harm was my boyfriend and that we had been camping. I wanted to introduce him to Harm. He asked me where I met Harm. Next thing I know he had a priest there marrying us. And the rest they say is history. We’ve been married now for two and a half years now.” finished Sarah.

“Have you been happy Sarah?” asked Deanne.

“Yes Mom, happier than I’ve ever been. I have a great career, the best husband in the world, and a beautiful little girl.” smiled Sarah with joy.

“Is that who this little person you have with you Harm?” asked Deanne.

“Her name is Veronica. She’s our daughter. She’s a little over one year old.” replied a grinning Harm.

“She so beautiful Sarah. She looks just like you, but with blue eyes.” smiled Deanne happily.

“Thank you Mom. We love her so much. I’m so happy you’re here to see her Mom.” replied Sarah as she hugged her mother.

Sarah’s father died the next day. It took a couple of days to arrange for him to be buried. During this time Sarah spent more time with her mother as they got to know each other again. Harm suggested to Sarah that they invite her mother back to DC for a visit.

“Mom, please come back with us for a visit. We have plenty of room. It will give you the opportunity to spend more time getting to know Veronica.” pleaded Sarah.

“Are you sure Sarah? I don’t want to inconvenience you. I don’t want to wear out my welcome.” replied Deanne.

“I finally have you back in my life after seventeen years Mom. I’ve missed you so much. We need to bond again Mom. I want you to know your granddaughter. I want you in my life.” replied Sarah.

“Okay Sarah I will.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
When First We Meet : part 10 of 11tomboone18:10:47 06/01/08 Sun

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.