VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]678910 ]
Subject: Pride : part 27 of 28

Author:
rooster
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 18:00:41 06/11/08 Wed

Pride
rooster
Alternative Universe
Summary: Harm and Mac act out Pride and Prejudice
Disclaimer: JAG is property of Belisarius productions, no copyright infringement intended.

Pride & Prejudice is the property of Jane Austen
: Warner Brothers 1940
: BBC 1979
: Arts and Entertainment Network/BBC co-production 1995
: Universal Studio 2005

no copyright infringement intended.

Please let me know what you think, it’s the only way I can write better stories for you.

Author's note: sorry to take so long. had a little writer's block with this section. Hope you like it.

There will be one more part.

part 27

Sunday
22 November
Longbourn Chapel

The day had finally arrived for Jordan and the Mackenzie family. Jordan was marrying Mr. Keeter. She would be taken care of for the rest of her life. He also was staying in an estate nearby, a plus for Mrs. Mackenzie.

If something were to happen to Mr. Mackenzie she and the girls would be taken care of. She wouldn’t have to move too far. She would still be able to see her sister and friends who lived in Meryton.

Indeed the Mackenzie family fortunes were much improved. With Jordan marrying Mr. Keeter and Sarah marrying Mr. Darcy, Jennifer and Chloe would be meeting many more suitable young men.

They invited all their friends from Meryton and her family to partake in their blessed event. They also invited Mr. Keeter’s extended family, his friends, and his business associates. Most of them came from town.

The wedding service was held at the Longbourn Chapel. It was a beautiful service conducted by the resident pastor, Mr. Johnson. The last thing Jordan wanted was for Mr. Collins to perform the ceremony.

She didn’t mind if he attended the wedding with Harriet, she loved Harriet like a sister, but she didn’t want him to perform the ceremony.

Sarah had told her about how uninspiring he could be with his monotone voice and tendency to make gaffes as he used inappropriate words in the wrong manner and content. Sarah was happy to see Harriet though. It had been a long time.

She had a lot to tell Harriet. The last time she saw Harriet was last spring at Hunsford. She had told Harriet back then how Mr. Darcy had asked her to marry him and that she had refused. She had been very upset for many days afterwards.

Harriet had helped her to understand what had happened and to put it all in perspective. When she looked back to that time she almost had to laugh. She had always thought that she was wise beyond her years. Her father had told her that many times over the years.

Which she probably was about many things, but not when it concerned love. Now, she realized that she knew very little about love. First her father had to explain to her that even though he and her mother seemed to bicker a lot, they really did love each other.

They loved being together raising five beautiful yet silly daughters. Their main concern over the last few years was worrying about whether or not their girls would be taken care of if something were to happen to him.

Then of course she was blind to Mr. Darcy’s attention. She had always thought that he was making fun of her provincial views of the world. He seemed to take great pleasure in getting her to dance with him at every opportunity even when she didn’t want to dance.

Maybe she had been naive and hadn’t understood him when he had told his friend that she was only tolerable. He had definitely made a poor first impression with her. She had thought she had done the same with him.

Allison had implied to her, Mr. Keeter, and Mr. Darcy the week that she had spent at Netherfield was not to tend her sister, but to make a better impression with Mr. Darcy. She hated to admit it to herself, but there was some truth to that statement even though that hadn’t been her original intention.

No wonder why he was always telling her that she misunderstood everything he ever said to her. He had tried to show her that he did indeed like her, but she was too spiteful to see it.

She thought he didn’t like her, but Harriet had from the beginning told her that he was interested in her. His attention towards her was more than just for amusement. He was falling in love with her.

She never believed what Harriet told her until the day he asked her to marry him. It was a shame that he had waited a day too long to ask her, by that time his cousin had told her about his interference with Jordan and Mr. Keeter.

Now she would be able to tell Harriet that she was going to marry Mr. Darcy afterall. She would tell her about how he took care of Mattie when she ran off, how he fixed things for Jordan and Mr. Keeter, and how he asked her to marry him again at Pemberly.

Pemberly, she would have to tell Harriet all about Pemberly, how beautiful it was. Seeing Pemberly helped her to understand Mr. Darcy much better. It was there where they reconnected and fell in love.

She understood why he was so proud of himself. He really did live in another world far better than the one she had lived in all her life.

“You look very beautiful today Jordan. I’m so happy for you.” offered Harriet.

She was pleased that Jordan had finally married Mr. Keeter. Everyone in Meryton knew last year that there was something quite special between them. They were destined to be married. They had all wondered what had gone wrong, but no one knew why.

“Thank you Harriet. This the happiest day of my life.” smiled Jordan.

“Are you going to live here at Netherfield?” asked Harriet.

“For now, I think Jack would prefer owning his own estate, but I don’t mind. Netherfield is grand enough for me and it’s not very far from Longbourn. It’s not very far to town. Jack can make the trip in the morning and still be home by dinner.

On the other hand Netherfield isn’t nearly as grand as Pemberly.” smiled Jordan as she looked over at Sarah.

“Pemberly? Isn’t that where Mr. Darcy lives?” inquired Harriet. She knew about Mr. Darcy and Sarah. She wanted to know if anything had changed between them since last spring.

“Yes it is, and soon it will be where Sarah lives.” smiled Jordan as Sarah blushed.

“What does she mean Sarah? I thought you didn’t like Mr. Darcy. You didn’t want to marry him last spring when he asked you. What changed?” asked a very confused Harriet.

“She saw Pemberly.” smiled Jordan.

“Sarah?”

“After our talk last spring I did a lot of soul searching. I took another look at Mr. Darcy’s actions from a point of view that he was in love with me. Everything he did began to make more sense. I began to understand why you said he was in love with me.

This summer I went on a trip with my Aunt and Uncle to Derbyshire. My Aunt wanted to visit Pemberly. She grew up not far from Pemberly. I didn’t want to go there because I didn’t want to see him.

I didn’t want him to know that he was right, that I had misunderstood everything that was between us. Then I saw Pemberly. It was the most beautiful place on earth. It is so much more grander than Rosings.

I could understand why he was so proud and a bit arrogant. He has a right to be proud. But an interesting thing happened while I was there. Mr. Darcy acted like the perfect host. He was the perfect gentleman. He was everything I hoped he would be when I saw him for the first time.” answered Sarah.

“He must have heard you when you told him ‘if he had behaved like a gentleman.’” smiled Harriet.

“In fact he did. He pointed that out to me. We talked, he invited us to dinner several times. I met his sister Georgiana. We went for rides in the country. We talked some more. I began to fall in love with him. I never wanted to leave.

Jack and his sisters came to visit while I was there. I think it was then that Jack decided that he wanted to be with Jordan. Though I don’t know why it took him so long to come to Longbourn to see her.” continued Sarah.

“Did Mr. Darcy ask you to marry him again?” asked Harriet.

“He didn’t last summer, it was too soon. Besides we were interrupted by Mattie’s misadventure. He came with Jack to Longbourn.” replied Sarah.

“That’s when Jack asked me to marry him, though it did take a few visits for him to get up his nerve.” smiled Jordan. “Papa made him squirm a little when he asked him for permission.”

“Mama invited Jack and Mr. Darcy to dinner. Mama was on her best behavior. Mr. Darcy then invited the family to Pemberly for Michaelmas. It was there that he asked me to marry him.” concluded Sarah.

“I’m so happy for you Sarah. When are you going to get married?” asked Harriet.

“We’re going to get marry at Longbourn chapel at Christmas.” replied Sarah.

“Your mother must be very happy now. My mother told me your mother was quite upset with her for a long time because I married Mr. Collins.” sighed Harriet.

“She was. Six months ago she was telling me her biggest worry was having five unmarried daughters. It affected her nerves gravely. Even Papa is happier than I have ever seen him. He seems to tolerate Jennifer’s singing.” smiled Sarah.

Everyone mingled and danced for the rest of the day. The Mackenzies and Keeters got to know each other better due to the common thread that the Keeter’s parents were well acquainted with the Burnetts. In fact the older Keeter girls remembered them quite well.

“So what was Jack like as a kid?” asked Jordan.

“He was kind of wimpy. I guess being the only boy with six sisters will do that to you. We used to dress him up in dresses. He was like a doll to us.” laughed one of Jack’s older sisters.

“So that’s why he knew all the names of the different feminine garments.” smiled Jordan to the delight of the others.

“It’s probably why Papa sent him away to that stogy military boarding school for boys. It’s where he met Mr. Darcy.” another sister added.

“So how long have you known Mr. Darcy?” asked Sarah.

“It must be close to fifteen years now. He came to visit one summer. He was such a proud little boy. We tormented him pretty good. We slipped him some sleeping potion one time.

When he woke up at the assembly hall he found himself looking like a beautiful young lady. There were many young men who asked him to dance. I think he was the most popular young lady there.” laughed Jack’s sister.

“That might explain why he doesn’t like to dance much at public assemblies.” sighed Sarah.

“I’m surprised that he doesn’t like your sister better, he seems to only tolerate her. He went on about accomplished young women when I stayed here last year.”

“You mean Allison? While I have to admit, she has come a long way the last few years, she was a regular tomboy most of her life. She never liked to wear dresses. We usually had to bribe her with candy.

She use to like to fishing and hunting with Jack and Mr. Darcy. She use to bait the hook for Jack.” laughed her older sister.

Allison though wasn’t amused. She had worked very hard the last five years to become quite accomplished. She had hoped to show Mr. Darcy that she was as good as any woman he would ever meet.

But in the end maybe her sisters were right. While Mr. Darcy may had liked her as the little girl he went fishing with, she wasn’t the elegant daughter of the gentry.

Sarah was a daughter of the gentry even though her family wealth and connections were far below that of Mr. Darcy. She knew how to carry herself when in the presence of Mr. Darcy.

She knew how to take him to the edge and yet not cross the line. While she might tease and flirt with him, she didn’t degrade him in the company of others as she made him see the error of his thinking.

“Why do you think Jack told you that Allison was a better rider than he was? So Ms Sarah, are you looking forward to your day? I envy you, you’re going to be the Mistress of Pemberly. You’re going to have invite us all now since we’re family.” smiled Jack’s sister.

“I’ve been bouncing back from being very calm and being very apprehensive. Pemberly is very beautiful and I’m going to love living there, but I will be far away from my family. I’m going to miss them.” replied Sarah.

Sarah was concerned about living so far away, but Darcy had told her that she would see them often enough after they were married. He usually needed to go to town regularly.

They could always stop in Hertfordshire on the way to town to see them and of course her family was always welcomed to visit Pemberly.

Friday
25 December
Longbourn Chapel

The day had finally arrived. Sarah would be marrying Mr. Darcy. It was an unique experience for her. She was very nervous, even more so than her mother. After today she would be married and moving far away from Longbourn.

She didn’t know whether to be happy or to cry. She knew she was going to miss her family. They had been a very large part of her life. Even when she had been away for three weeks this summer and for six weeks last spring, she thought about them daily wondering what they were all doing.

She had imagined Jennifer playing the piano forte while her father hurried to his library for some peace and quiet. Mattie and Chloe were probably in town complaining to her Aunt Phillips about the officers being away.

And Jordan, she had been so worried about her. She had been so sad when she went away a year ago. But now everything was right in the world. Jordan was married to Mr. Keeter. Mattie was married to Mr. Turner.

And she was getting married to Mr. Darcy. She was going to be living in the most marvelous and beautiful estate in the world, Pemberly. Still she was sad. She was going to miss her father who always gave her sage counsel and who loved her very much.

She was also going to miss the closeness she had had with her mother the last few months as they planned her wedding. It had been a long time since they had spent so much quality time together. It had made her quite happy to spend so much time with her.

It was a beautiful wedding. They had invited all of their families and close friends. There were a few business associates of Darcy there too. Darcy had rented a hall to hold the reception. He didn’t want to impose on Jack.

There was fine dining and dancing as everyone mingled and renewed old acquaintances. Sarah danced most of the afternoon with Darcy, but saved one special dance for her father.

“You look very happy Sarah.” her father commented.

“I am Papa. Darcy makes me very happy.” smiled Sarah.

“I wish you all the happiness in the world Sarah. Don’t be a stranger.” he offered.

After her dance with her father Sarah met up with Harriet. She had so much to tell her before she left. She and Darcy were going away for a few months to travel throughout Europe to see some of the historical site.

“You look so beautiful Sarah.” complimented Harriet.

“Thank you Harriet. My mother helped me pick it out. We spent some quality alone time together.” smiled Sarah.

Harriet knew what Sarah meant. When you are part of a large family, there isn’t always enough time to go around for everyone. One’s parents usually spent more time with the younger siblings who needed them more.

“That must have been nice Sarah. I miss spending time with Mama. I live so far away from her. Bud doesn’t like to travel much unless there is something to gain from it. Though I do think he likes the idea of spending time with family.

His father wasn’t the most pleasant man in the world. He liked to make life miserable. I’m so happy for you.” cried Harriet.

“Have you been lonely Harriet, living so far from home?” asked Sarah.

“Sometimes, but I have a lot of things to keep me busy. I get to run my own house, getting to know Bud, and sometime next summer I’m going to have a baby.” smiled Harriet.

“That’s wonderful Harriet. I know I’m going to miss my sisters. I missed them so much last year when I was away. I’ll be going away for much longer now. At least I will be at Pemberly. It’s so beautiful there. You have to come and visit me before you have the baby.” pleaded Sarah.

“Only if you come and visit me next summer after the baby is born.” replied Harriet.

“I’ll be there with you when the baby is born Harriet. I wouldn’t want to miss the birth of your child.” Sarah corrected her.

“I would like that Sarah.” smiled Harriet.

“Where are you going on your honeymoon Sarah?” asked Harriet.

“Darcy is taking me to the continent. We’re going to travel around the continent for a few months before returning to Pemberly.” replied Sarah.

“That sounds marvelous Sarah. What about you Jordan, how was your honeymoon?” asked Harriet.

“We spent a couple of weeks traveling up north through Scotland and Wales. After the first of the year we’re going to Ireland.” smiled Jordan.

“That sounds like fun. I didn’t have much of a honeymoon. Bud needed to be near Rosings. He wanted to be there for Lady Catherine’s beck and call.” moaned Harriet.

“I guess that’s the price one pays when one marries a minister. He does have to answer to someone. At least you know that he loves you Harriet.” reflected Sarah.

“And you’re going to have a baby. I envy you Harriet. I can only hope that I’m as lucky as you.” smiled Jordan.

“Thank you so much. I have miss you both. I hope we don’t become strangers. I hope we keep in touch.” cried Harriet.

“We will Harriet. I know Lady Catherine wasn’t too happy that I was marrying Darcy, but I promised her that if she came to the wedding that I would make sure that we visited her more often and that she should visit us at Pemberly too.

And as you can see, she did attend the wedding. I did whisper in her ear that Colonel Fitzwilliam would make an excellent son in law for her. He has the good breeding she is looking for, for Anne. Plus he loves her.” smiled Sarah.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Thank you so much for continuing the story. I have really missed it. Can't wait to read the ending. (NT)Sophie04:58:40 06/12/08 Thu
Thank you so much for the update! Is there really only one chapter left *sad sigh*. But hey, I'm gonna read it all over again :o) (NT)Serenity03:00:22 06/22/08 Sun

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.