VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]678910 ]
Subject: Separation and Hope : part 3

Author:
tomboone
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 18:03:14 06/11/08 Wed
In reply to: tomboone 's message, "Separation and Hope : part 1 and 2 of 15" on 18:53:48 06/10/08 Tue

part three

Friday
8 Oct 1999
Mountain pasture
Yugoslavia

Harm laid unconscious in a make shift bed for more than a month before finally waking up. He felt very groggy and in a lot of pain. His whole body ache. He wondered what had hit him so hard to make him feel so bad. It was a struggle to sit up, so he decided not to.

A short time later a man and his son came into the room. They noticed that Harm had finally woken up. They assisted him into a sitting position. The boy got Harm some water and food to eat.

Harm tried to communicate with them. He asked them if they spoke English. The man and boy shook their head no. They were only poor goat herders. There was no need for them to know how to speak English, the goats only understood Serbian.

The man pointed to Harm’s leg and made a motion to indicate it was broken. Harm looked at his leg and noticed that it was splinted. He carefully ran his hand along his leg to see if it had been set properly.

It seemed okay though maybe a little off. The man pointed to Harm’s head. It had a bandage on it. Harm felt his head. There was a remnant of a bump there along with several gashes that had healed.

Finally the man made a motion of Harm sleeping many days. Harm was stunned to learn that. Though it did explain why he felt so weak and couldn’t move. He also was beginning to feel tire.

Harm knew he had been missing long enough. He had to get back to the ship. He motioned to the man how long before they return to town? The man helped Harm to his feet. They walked very slowly over to a window to look out.

Harm saw that they were up in the mountains. He saw no roads or vehicles to ride in. He didn’t see any other modes of transportation either. Harm resigned himself to the fact he wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

21 Sept 1999
JAG Headquarters
Washington DC

Meanwhile no one at JAG was even remotely aware that Harm was missing. Their only contact with Harm had been through Sarah and she was gone now. No one knew where she was either. They had all seen her on Friday, but not on Monday when they returned from their weekend.

Everyone had just assumed that she was away on an investigation, but at staff call the next Tuesday the Admiral informed them all that Sarah had transferred to another command. Her replacement would be here in two weeks.

Harriet and Bud were shocked. They had worked very hard in their efforts of brown nosing the senior officers. They had been in quite tight with Harm and Sarah, the two most respected officers at JAG Headquarters.

They could pretty much do as they please. Harriet had never thought twice about bickering with Bud. Telling him what to do. Occasionally making him look like an ass or doofus in front of their peers. Now they were both gone.

Somehow they hadn’t meshed very well with the Commander Rabb’s replacement, a Major Joe Brown. He was a hard core marine officer. He didn’t care too much for soft-bellied squids, particularly those like Bud. He viewed Bud as a sniveling weakling.

He like to ride Bud hard, referring to him as Spud MacKenzie, the black eyed mutt who swilled Budweiser beer. He hated ass kissers. He knew that was what Bud was. He also didn’t like that Bud couldn’t control his woman.

She was a major headache, a royal pain in the ass. He wondered why she was even there. She was always meddling and causing a disruption to the well ordered discipline he was trying to establish in the office. He had to counsel her on more than one occasion.

Since Harm wasn’t a part of JAG anymore. Top navy officials had no reason to inform the Admiral that Harm was the naval aviator that had gone missing. They only notified his parents, the Burnetts.

The Captain and the CAG had sent their report through their chain of command up to the CNO. No where did it include JAG Headquarters, only the Fleet JAG Command stationed in Europe got a copy of the report.

Tuesday
5 Oct 1999
JAG European HQ
Naples, Italy

The two weeks had flown by for Sarah as she got ready to leave JAG Headquarters and go to Naples, Italy. She managed to complete a few case files and reviews. She transferred her remaining cases to the different lawyers who remained.

This should have alerted people that Sarah was leaving, but instead they all just assumed they were being assigned extra work due to Harm’s absence. None of them even thought that she was leaving.

The Admiral honored her request about not telling anyone before she left. She spent the second week packing up everything she needed and put what she couldn’t take with her in storage, including her corvette.

She saw no need to take it with her. In a few months she would have the baby. Babies and corvettes didn’t go well together. She had all her uniforms let out as much as possible hoping it would hide her pregnancy a little while longer. She also packed away pregnancy uniforms for her last few months.

When Sarah arrived at Naples Headquarters she was assigned the Chief of Staff quarters. It was large and spacious. It was at least twice as large as her apartment in DC. It was beautifully decorated.

She would have plenty of room to raise a child while she was there. For the first time in months Sarah felt relieved. She was away from her well meaning busy body friends who had a difficult time respecting her privacy.

She wouldn’t have to answer the dreaded who’s the father question. She could relax and be herself. She sighed as she also recognized that she wouldn’t be seeing her friends anymore.

But most importantly Harm wasn’t there. She missed him so much that it hurt to stay, but she would have to learn to live without him. He wasn’t coming back. He had moved on with his life. She hoped someday soon she would stop crying herself to sleep.

Thursday
18 Nov 1999
JAG European HQ
Naples, Italy

A week before Thanksgiving Sarah’s CO, Captain Wayne Rodgers, called Sarah into his office. Sarah wondered what he wanted to see her about, though she thought it might have something to do with her condition.

“Good morning Sir, what can I do for you?” greeted Sarah. She and Captain Rodgers had a very informal command structure.

“Good morning Sarah. I was wondering if you could enlighten me about something, that is do you have something to tell me?” asked Captain Rodgers.

He had developed a certain fondness for Sarah. She was a very special officer, a woman he could see having a possible future with if she allowed him. Women like Sarah didn’t come along everyday. One had to seize the opportunity when it presented itself.

“Yes Sir. I’m six months pregnant Sir.” replied Sarah.

“When were you going to tell me Sarah?” asked Captain Rodgers.

“Need to know Sir. I honesty thought my condition was quite obvious Sir. It is in my medical records Sir. I thought you would say something at the appropriate time Sir.” replied Sarah uneasily.

“Who’s the father? Anyone I know?” asked Captain Rodgers with a naughty grin.

“Someone who’s not a part of my life anymore Sir. I tried to stay in contact with him by e-mail, but he wasn’t interested.” wailed Sarah.

“It’s been over three months now since I last heard from him. I guess he’s moved on Sir.”

“I’m sorry to hear that Sarah, what are you going to do?” asked Captain Rodgers with concern.

Maybe this was the way to finally get closer to her. At his age it wasn’t easy to meet beautiful young women. One could always expect a child or two to be a part of the package.

He really didn’t mind, he loved kids. They were a lot of fun to be around. It also was a nice way to meet women.

“I expect to work up to a week or two before the baby is born. Then I would like to take six weeks maternity leave before returning back to work Sir.” replied Sarah.

“You have ample leave time accumulated Sarah. If you need to or want to take more time after the baby arrives, feel free to use it Sarah. I know it won’t be easy while you’re gone, but we’ll muddle through somehow. We’ll survive.” laughed Captain Rodgers.

“And if you need anything Sarah, don’t be afraid to ask. I want to help you in any way I can. We’re family here.” smiled Captain Rodgers.

“Thank you Sir, I appreciate that. I’ll let you know if I need anything.” smile Sarah in return.

She was thankful that the Captain wasn’t going to make an issue of her pregnancy. In fact she was surprised that the Captain wanted to help her during this difficult time.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Separation and Hope : part 4 of 15tomboone18:28:43 06/16/08 Mon
    Please keep posting. I'm really interested in how this one turns out. (NT)Debbi21:20:52 06/16/08 Mon

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.