VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]678910 ]
Subject: Separation and Hope : part 5

Author:
tomboone
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:52:39 06/17/08 Tue
In reply to: tomboone 's message, "Separation and Hope : part 1 and 2 of 15" on 18:53:48 06/10/08 Tue

part five

Tuesday
7 Dec 1999
Robert’s apartment

Bud was getting ready to put baby Aj to bed when the telephone rang. He wondered who could be calling him. Everyone he knew was working. He hoped nothing was wrong at work. He didn’t want to go in today.

“Hello, Bud Roberts speaking.” greeted Bud.

“Hi Bud, it’s Commander Rabb. How are you and the family doing?” greeted Harm. He was getting ready to leave DC. He didn’t know when he would be back.

“Commander! Everyone is doing fine Sir. How are you Sir? Are you coming back to JAG Sir?” asked a cheerful Bud in return. “It’s been a long time since anyone heard from you Sir.”

“I know that Bud. It couldn’t be help. I was shot down a few months ago. I was missing in action during that time. I was severely injured, but everything is okay now. I just got back to the states the other day.” sighed Harm.

“I’m back with the JAG Corp, but I won’t be stationed here in DC for awhile.”

“I’m sorry to hear that Sir. I don’t believe anyone here knew that you had been shot down.” replied Bud.

“I’ve been MIA for over four months and no one here knew Bud. I find that hard to believe. What about Sarah? What did she think when she didn’t hear from me.” argued Harm.

“I don’t know Sir. She isn’t here anymore. She left here last September. I don’t think she was very happy here anymore. The impression I got from Harriet was she thought you had moved on with your life.

So she decided to do the same. She was at work on Friday and gone the following Monday. She didn’t tell anyone she was leaving Sir. She just left. I really don’t understand any of this.” whined Bud.

“Sarah’s gone? Where did she go Bud?” whined Harm.

“She didn’t tell anyone Sir. I think the Admiral is the only one who knows where she is and he’s not saying anything.” moaned Bud.

“Well I guess that answers a lot of unanswered questions.” sighed Harm.

“Sir?” questioned Bud.

“It explains why the Admiral is shipping my six off to Australia Bud. He’s still angry with me. First I left, then Sarah left. He blames me for her leaving. Do you think you can find out where she is Bud?” asked Harm.

“I can try Sir, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to find her. I don’t think she or the Admiral wants anyone to know. I’m sure they have classified her location somehow.” replied Bud.

“Thanks Bud. I’ll be here until tomorrow. I’m going to visit my mother before I leave for Australia. Say hello to Harriet for me.” sighed Harm dejectedly.

“Alright Sir, I’ll call you in a couple of days when I find out something.” replied Bud.

Friday
10 Dec 1999
Burnett house
La Jolla, California

Since Harm wasn’t returning to JAG Headquarters he had decided that there was no reason to keep his apartment in DC. He had spent a couple of days cleaning out his apartment and boxing up everything he owned to be shipped to his mother’s place in La Jolla.

He also thought it would be a good time to visit his mother. He hadn’t seen her since his trip to Russia. He also was aware that his mother knew that he had been shot down and was reported as missing in action.

He knew that she probably had been scared that he would be lost like his father. He knew he should visit with her before he left for Australia. It would be a few years before he was back her way again.

He knew he was in the Admiral’s doghouse. The Admiral was angry with him, maybe, rightfully so. He had left him shorthanded. And then Sarah left not long after. He knew it would be a long time before he got out of the doghouse.

He got out of his rental car and walked up to the front door. He knocked once before walking in. He saw his mother walking into the room to greet him. She had a big smile on her face when she saw him.

“Harm! What a pleasant surprise. What are you doing here?” asked Trish.

“I came to visit you Mom. I wanted to let you see that I’m okay.” smiled Harm.

“I know you must have worried a lot after I was shot down and reported missing.” sighed Harm.

“I was worried Harm, but I had a feeling you were okay.” replied Trish. “You’re a survivor.”

“I’m sorry Mom. I hate doing that to you.” moaned Harm. “I also wanted you to know that I’m no longer assigned to an air wing. I’m back to being a lawyer.”

“Does that mean that you’re going to be in Washington DC now ..... with Sarah.” asked Trish hopefully. She wished Harm would be stationed closer to home, but Washington DC was better than the battle fleet.

As long as he was with Sarah, there was the possibility that they would finally get together and give her the grandchild she so desperately wanted.

“No Mom. I’ve been assigned to replace a lawyer who is part of an exchange program. I’ll be stationed in Australia for the next thirteen months.” moaned Harm unhappily.

Trish knew her boy wasn’t happy, she could tell. She wondered what was wrong. Did it have anything to do with Sarah? She knew how much he loved her.

“What’s wrong Harm?” asked Trish.

“It’s Sarah, I don’t know where she is Mom. She isn’t at JAG Headquarters anymore. No one will tell me where she is or where she went. I need to talk to her.” whined Harm.

“She hasn’t tried to get in contact with you Harm? Didn’t she want to know that you were alright?” asked Trish.

“That’s part of the problem Mom. From what I have learned, no one at JAG Headquarters knew I was even missing. She left headquarters about the time I was shot down. The Admiral implied that she left because of me.

She thought I had moved on with my life without her so she moved on too. He told me she was disappointed that I didn’t keep in contact with her before I was shot down.” moaned Harm.

“Why didn’t you Harm? You have always told me how special she is to you. You of all people know how important it is to keep in touch with a love one. You have all the tapes your father sent to us. Without them you wouldn’t have gotten to know your father.

I know it’s hard sometimes to write or phone home Harm, but it’s important to those of us who are left behind to know that you’re doing okay. Without hearing from you we worry a lot more.” explained Trish.

“I know Mom, I’m sorry that I caused you to worry. Unfortunately sometimes I get so busy I don’t know which way I’m going. The only thing I know right now Mom is that I miss her.

I miss her so much. I spent the last three months wondering how she was dealing with me being missing. Now I find out she didn’t even know I was shot down. I can’t find her to talk to her, to say that I’m sorry for not writing to her.

Now I’m being shipped off to Australia. How am I going to find her if I’m here? How am I going to be able to talk to her if I’m so far out of the loop that no one knows I even exist? I need her Mom.” wailed Harm.

“It’s okay Harm. Everything will work out. Eventually she will want to talk to you again. You’ll be able to make things right. Have Faith Harm, it will be alright.” reassured Trish.

Friday
17 Dec 1999
Burnett house
La Jolla, California

Harm was lounging out on the back porch. It never ceased to amaze him how beautiful the view overlooking the beach and the ocean was. He always loved it here even when he was a young teenager who hated his stepfather.

He felt a connection to his father somehow, he didn’t know why, he just did. He heard the telephone ringing. Maybe it was Bud. He had been expecting a call from him for several days, hopefully he had some news about Sarah.

Trish picked up the ringing telephone. “Hello!” answered Trish.

“Hello Mrs. Burnett, this Bud Roberts. I’m trying to reach your son Commander Harmon Rabb.” greeted Bud in return.

“He’s here, hold on for moment while I get him for you.” replied Trish. She went out onto the porch and gave Harm the phone.

“It’s for you, a Spud Roberts.” smiled Trish.

“His name is Bud, Mom.” smiled Harm.

Bud had told him about the marine major that replaced him had kept calling him Spud. He thought it had something to do with the major’s lack of appreciation of navy squids.

“Hi Bud, what did you find out?” asked Harm anxiously.

“Nothing Sir, only that she’s still in the Marine Corp, but her location is classified Sir.” replied Bud sighing.

“That could mean that she’s working for the CIA Bud. Damm! I really needed to talk to her. I need to explain to her what happened, why I didn’t stay in contact with her. I need to apologize to her for screwing up.” moaned Harm.

“Yes Sir. I talked to Harriet. She hasn’t heard from the Colonel since she left. I can only assume she has made a clean break from JAG Headquarters Sir.

Maybe you’re right, if she’s working with the CIA. With her language skills she would be a valuable asset to have Sir.” replied Bud.

“Damm it Bud, I leave in two days for parts unknown. I really wanted to see her. I need to talk to her. I miss her so much. Once I leave here my chances of seeing her again will be non existent.” whined Harm.

“Yes Sir, I understand. Harriet and I miss her too. We missed both of you Sir. I’ll keep on trying Sir.” replied Bud.

“Thanks Bud, I appreciate all of your efforts.” sighed Harm.

Bud hung up the phone and saw Harriet standing there. She had a constipated look on her face. It seemed she didn’t understand something.

“What is it Harriet? You look confuse.” asked Bud.

“I thought you told me yesterday that you managed to get in contact with the Colonel. Why did you tell the Commander that you didn’t?” asked Harriet.

“The Colonel gave me a direct order not to tell him. She told me I am not to help him in any way. She said the Commander needs to figure it out by himself.” replied Bud.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Separation and Hope : part 6tomboone17:00:34 06/18/08 Wed

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.