VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]678910 ]
Subject: Separation and Hope : part 8

Author:
tomboone
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:27:11 06/20/08 Fri
In reply to: tomboone 's message, "Separation and Hope : part 1 and 2 of 15" on 18:53:48 06/10/08 Tue

part eight

Tuesday
27 Jan 2000
Military Hospital
Naples, Italy

A month later Trish and Frank were back in Naples to be with Sarah when her baby was born. They arrived a couple of days early. When it was time they went to the hospital with her and were there when the baby came.

It was a little girl. Sarah named her Veronica. She was seven and a half pounds. She was twenty three inches long. She looked just like Sarah. She had dark brown hair and brown eyes. She was beautiful like her mother.

After a couple of days in the hospital Sarah and Veronica came home. Frank had taken advantage of the time to make sure Sarah had everything she needed for Veronica and that it was properly assembled.

He took great pride in his organizational skills and hard work. It wasn’t often he got to use his hands. He loved putting everything together for his granddaughter.

Trish and Frank spent the next six weeks with Sarah helping her with the baby. Trish showed Sarah some of the tricks of the trade for caring for an infant and offering her many years of sage advice. Frank took great delight in seeing them bonding so closely. He loved seeing his wife happy.

It wasn’t long before they had to leave and go back to the states. Trish promised Sarah that they would come back to visit several more times. She wept that wouldn’t be there everyday for Sarah and Veronica.

She had fallen in love with her grandchild and didn’t want to leave her. She was so beautiful and special. She had such a great disposition. She hardly ever cried.

Trish managed to make it back to Italy for all the major holidays. Frank was there for the Fourth, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. They believed that family belonged together at these holidays. Sarah and Veronica were part of their family now.

As much as Trish wanted to tell Harm about Sarah and the baby, she kept her word and resisted the temptation. She respected Sarah’s decision. In one respect she understood. Harm had put flying ahead of everything else.

Maybe he didn’t deserve to be with Sarah and Veronica. He had afterall abandoned them to fly. Maybe Sarah was right. If Harm wanted to find her bad enough, like he wanted to fly again, he would have done anything to find her. Obviously he hadn’t tried hard enough.

In reality she knew some day they would find each other again. It was written in the stars. It was their faith, she truly believed that some day they would be together.

Tuesday
12 Jan 2001
Manila, Philippines

‘What a waste of a year’ thought Harm as he rode on a navy transport that was taking him from Australia to the Philippines. He had spent the entire year doing basically nothing.

They were very few cases to be tried. The Aussies always came up with deals to avoid going to court. He could never understand why. A good trial always got his juices flowing, it made him feel alive.

He was glad to be leaving that cesspool of trial purgatory. The country was just fine. The weather was beautiful, the women were beautiful as well, but there was no Sarah there. God he missed her. Where was she?

The pain in his heart grew everyday. He missed her so much. He hadn’t realized how she had become such an integral part of his life. He had no idea where she was. Even Bud hadn’t been able to come up with anything for him other than her location was classified.

What did that really mean? Was she working a covert mission somewhere? Was she working with the CIA? Where was she? Why hadn’t she contacted him? Why, why, why? It pained him not to have the answer.

Harm read through his orders. He was being assigned to a JAG unit in the Philippines. Talk about leaving one judicial cesspool to go to another. At least in Oz Americans were like. It wasn’t quite the same in the Philippines.

They had some radical groups that wanted all Americans out of their country. Why in the world was he being sent there? Hadn’t he already paid his dues for leaving JAG to return to flying? Did the Admiral have a hair up his six.

Maybe this was the Admiral’s way of telling him to put his twenty years in and then get the hell out, go into private practice. He sighed as he pondered what he was going to do in a country that spoke another language and their culture was so foreign to him.

He leaned back in his seat to sleep. It was going to be a very long trip. It was going to be another very long year. It was going to be another year that sucked because Sarah wasn’t in it. Mentally he screamed his frustration.

It amazed him that one little decision that he thought was the best thing in the world for him over a year and a half ago, had now turned out to be the worst decision he had ever made in his life, a life without Sarah in it.

The last year and a half had been miserable. It looked like the next year was going to be no different. He leaned back in his seat and closed his eyes to dream about Sarah and a future that might never be.

Wednesday
27 Jan 2001
Naples, Italy

Trish and Frank were in Italy to visit with Sarah and Veronica. It was Veronica’s first birthday. They were having a small birthday party for her. It had been a month since their last visit at Christmas.

They had surprised Sarah with presents for her and Veronica. They had even arranged with the Admiral to give Sarah letters from her old friends from Washington. Sarah was pleased to see that she wasn’t forgotten.

They had told the Admiral that Sarah had given birth to a little girl name Veronica. Harm was the father, but he didn’t know about her. Sarah requested that he keep this information a secret from anyone who inquired about her.

Trish looked around the room. There were six or seven other small children ranging in age from one to three years old. Trish smiled at the sight. So much energy, so much curiosity. It amazed her at that age kids loved each other unconditionally.

“So how are you doing Sarah? Everything going okay with Veronica?” asked Trish.

“Not bad Trish. She’s finally sleeping through the night for eight hours, thank God. I’ve never been one to sleep many hours since I joined the Corp, but Veronica’s sleep schedule was ridiculous.

She didn’t want to sleep for more than three hours at any given time and she was always hungry. Did you know she consumes at least twice the recommended serving and eats at least two or three more times a day than other children.” sighed Sarah.

“Harm was like that. That’s all he ever did when he was little. He was always eating something. He was always hungry, but he was a good sleeper. I think the problem today is, the day care people try to get the babies to sleep during the day.

You know it makes it easier for them to handle all the kids. Unfortunately it leaves the kids wide awake at night for the parents. They’re ready to be entertained.” smiled Trish.

“I didn’t know that. I’ll have to have a talk with the day care provider tomorrow.” smiled Sarah.

“How big is she now?” asked Trish.

“She’s twenty six pounds and thirty inches tall. She’s getting so big so fast.” sighed Sarah. “It’s getting harder to pick her up.”

“So how’s Captain Rodgers doing?” asked Trish.

“Oh, he’s doing fine. I think he was hoping for something to develop between us, but I told him I wasn’t ready for a relationship. Ronnie keeps me too busy and I don’t want to miss any more time with her than I have to.” replied Sarah.

Trish smiled. There was still hope that Harm and Sarah would get together someday. How that was going to happen she didn’t know.

“It’s bad enough I have to leave her for nine hours to work. Besides I think there is only one man I would want to share my life with. Eventually if it’s meant to be, it will happen.” continued Sarah.

They spent the rest of the day watching the children play. Veronica was good about opening her presents and sharing them with her friends. They all had a small piece of cake and a scoop of ice cream.

Trish and Frank spent a week with them before returning home. They had had a great time watching Veronica while Sarah worked. They took her sightseeing, to the park, and even spent a day sailing.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Separation and Hope : part 9tomboone15:37:56 06/21/08 Sat

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.