VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]678910 ]
Subject: Separation and Hope : part 10 and 11

Author:
tomboone
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:08:19 06/22/08 Sun

Title: Separation and Hope
Author: tomboone
Pairing: Harm & Sarah
Disclaimer: JAG is property of Belisarius productions, no copyright infringement intended.
Summary: When Harm leaves Jag to fly, Sarah decides to move on when she doesn’t hear from him.

Good feedback is good for the soul and my happiness.

part ten

5 Feb 2003
Honolulu, Hawaii

Finally thought Harm. He was a plane to Hawaii. After three miserable years away from the states he was returning home, well almost home. It wasn’t California or DC, but it wasn’t a bad place to be stationed either.

After three shitty duty assignments he was due for a good one, thank God. Though he didn’t know what he did to deserve Hawaii, he wasn’t going to complain. Now only if he could find out where Sarah was and talk to her, his life would be perfect.

At least he thought his chances would be much better of finding her if he was in the states. He would have to give Bud a call and see if he knew anything. He would have to congratulate him and Harriet.

He was happy to hear that they had another baby, a girl that they name Sarah, after his marine. They were also expecting another child later in the year. If that was the case maybe Bud knew where Sarah was. He could only hope.

The only good thing to happen to Harm while he was in Japan was, he met up with Caitlin Pike a few times. She was still a pistol, wild and crazy, like he used to be before he met Sarah.

Harm figure he would give himself a few more months to find Sarah. If he didn’t, then maybe it was time to move on. It had been almost four years since he last saw her before he left to return to flying.

It had been a glorious night. He had gone over to her apartment. He had been concerned about her. She had cried in his arms in the office. Sarah was a Marine, Marines never cry.

They spent a couple hours talking before finally they began kissing, gently at first, then more passionately. Before he knew what was happening, they were in her bed making wild and passionate love all night long.

He hated to leave her then, but he had too. He had already committed to returning to a carrier to fly. There wasn’t anything he could do about it. He had just hope she would be there when he returned.

Yeah right. She left shortly after he left. Where did she go? Parts unknown was all he knew. The thing was she wasn’t there when he returned. No one knew where she was or if they did, they weren’t talking.

4 July 2003
Honolulu, Hawaii

It had been four years since Harm last saw Sarah. He had finally come to the conclusion that it was time to move on with his life. It was obvious even to him now that he had blown his chance with Sarah. She didn’t want him anymore.

It was time to forget about Sarah. It was time to begin life anew with another woman. He had met someone a few weeks ago while shopping for his mother’s birthday. Her name was Cassandra.

She was a tall lanky blond, quite beautiful with long hair. He had asked her to join him for the holiday weekend. They had spent time getting to know each other. She liked photography and skydiving.

Harm promised to take her flying some weekend in a small biplane. He promised her she would love it. Tonight they would lay on a blanket on the beach under the stars and watch the fireworks from the base.

It was supposed to the best they ever had. It was tough though. He had spent several years with Sarah at the Mall watching the fireworks. He still missed her and wondered where she was and what she was doing.

But he had resigned himself to the fact that he might never see her again. It wasn’t something he liked to think about, but unfortunately it was something he was going to have to learn to live with.

It was hard to forget about Sarah, but he had a new woman in his life now. She would help him forget Sarah. Time spent with another would cure all old wounds. It was time to look forward, not back.

Fisherman’s wharf
San Francisco, California

Frank had invited Sarah and Ronnie to go with him and Trish to San Francisco for the fourth of July weekend. They had spent most of the weekend sightseeing. They walked down the crookest street in the world, Lombard St, before walking back around the waterfront to take the streetcars to city hall.

Ronnie loved the streetcar. She could see everything. When she was riding in a car, she was usually sitting too low to see anything. This was great, especially seeing grown people chasing after the streetcar trying to catch it so they could jump on.

On the fourth they sat on a blanket down by the bay to watch the fireworks display. Sarah had heard that they were the best in the country. The fireworks were shot up into the air from a barge in the middle of the bay near Alcatraz.

She wasn’t disappointed. They were fantastic. Ronnie had a ball after she adjusted to the loud noises they made. Frank told her that in over fifty years they had never had an accident or injury from the exploding firework. No other place had that kind of track record.

19 Dec 2004
Honolulu, Hawaii

Harm was sitting in his office thinking about what he was going to do about Christmas. He was thinking about going home to visit his mother. Cassandra, his lady friend of the last eighteen months, wouldn’t be around for the holidays this year.

Things were getting very serious between them. He had been thinking about asking her to marry him over the holidays, but she was going home to visit her mother who had been ill. So he thought he would wait now until after the holidays until Valentines Day. He could think up something special.

It had been five years since the last time Harm had been home to see his mother. It always pained him when he didn’t see his mother. He did love her, but he always felt he had to live his own life, not a life his mother wanted him to live.

Maybe if he had gotten married and had children when he was younger, things would have been different. The telephone began to ring on his desk. He wondered who could be calling. He would be leaving for home in fifteen minutes.

He picked up the phone. “Hello, Commander Rabb speaking.”

“Commander Rabb, this is your mother speaking. Are you coming home this year for Christmas?” pleaded Trish. “I miss you honey.”

“Hi Mom, I was just thinking about you. I was contemplating the idea of coming home this year. I know it has been a few years. I do miss seeing you Mom.” moaned Harm.

“I miss you too Harm. I have a special Christmas planned this year.” wailed Trish.

“Special huh!” smiled Harm. God only knows what that means.

“Yeah, I have two very special surprises in fact. I know you will love them when you see them.” wailed Trish hoping that Harm would say yes. She knew if only he would come home, his prayers would be answered.

“All right Mom, I’ll be there. I’ll fly into San Diego within the next couple of days.” smiled Harm. He knew that would be the best gift he could ever give her.

“Okay Harm. I’ll have Frank send a limo for you. I love you Harm.” cried Trish.

“I love you too Mom.” replied Harm.

Trish went dancing and singing throughout the house. Frank looked on a little shock. What had gotten into her? Was she getting senile in her old age.

“What are you doing Trish? Are you alright?” asked Frank.

“Yes Frank, I’m just happy. My baby is coming home for Christmas.” sighed Trish.

“You mean Harm.” replied Frank looking for confirmation.

“Yes Frank. Don’t tell Sarah, I want it to be a surprise.” sang Trish.

“Yes dear.” replied Frank. He was happy to see Trish, his love, happy.

part eleven

22 Dec 2004
Burnett’s residence
La Jolla, California

A few days later Harm made his way to the front door. He sighed as he realized it was good to be home. As he got ready to ring the door bell the door open. It was his mother with a very large smile on her face.

“Harm! You’re here! I’ve missed you so much.” greeted Trish as she threw her arms around his neck.

“I’ve miss you too Mom.” replied Harm as he returned the hug.

“Come in and sit down Harm. Let me get you something to drink.” offered Trish. Harm smiled as he followed her in.

Harm and his mother talked for awhile catching up with what was going on in their lives. That is everything except that Sarah and Veronica were living with her and Frank in the house. That he had a four year old daughter named Veronica, soon to be five in another month.

Sarah had Harm’s old room overlooking the beach. She loved the room. It gave her a sense of closeness to Harm. Veronica was in the room across the hall from hers. Trish had Harm’s bags taken up to the guestroom.

After a little while Harm noticed a small dark haired girl walked into the room. She moved a little shyly when she saw Harm sitting in the chair. ‘He was talking to her grandmother. Who was he?’ she thought to herself.

She walked over to Trish and climbed up into her lap. He looked familiar to her, but she wasn’t sure who he was. They whispered back and forth for a few minutes, pausing every now and then to look over in his direction.

Harm watched with interest the small girl with his mother, she could have been his if only he had only told Sarah how much he loved her. The little girl and his mother seem to be having a good time. He sighed in resignation.

He began to think back about Sarah. He hadn’t thought about her in a long time. How he had blown any chances they could have had to be together. He shouldn’t have gone back to flying.

It had been a very bad mistake. Even though he loved flying and was still one of the best, it had cost him too much, his marine.

Before he knew what was happening a fifty pound little girl had quickly moved across the room and landed in his lap knees first. If it hadn’t been for his quick reflexes his family jewels would have been screaming bloody murder.

(Fifty pounds you say, quite heavy for a five year, not really when her father is six feet four inches and her mother is five feet nine inches tall)

“Who are you little lady?” asked Harm with a smile.

“My name is Veronica. I’m almost five years old. Are you my Daddy?” replied Veronica. Harm sat there stunned for a few moments.

“What?” asked Harm. He was stunned.

“Are you my Daddy? You look like the man in the picture with my Mommy.” replied Veronica.

Harm didn’t know what to say. He certainly didn’t expect her to ask him that question. Harm sat there looking stunned for a few moments.

He looked at her a little more closely. It couldn’t be. She did bear a resemblance to Sarah, but it couldn’t be. They had only spent one night together. He had used protection or so he thought.

He looked over to his mother with a perplexed look.

“Ronnie, why don’t you go upstairs to your room and get the picture on your night stand and show it to Harm.” smiled Trish.

“Okay!” chirped Veronica as she got up out of his lap and ran up stairs.

Harm groaned as Veronica had stood up in his lap and jumped off. That hurt a little thought Harm. Did all little kids get on and off adult laps like that. He moaned at the thought. Once again she came close to inflicting harm to his little soldier.

Once again he looked over to her.

“Mom?” asked Harm.

“Have a little patience Harm. It will all come clear to you in a few moments. She has been waiting for you all her life.” replied Trish.

“Mom!” pleaded Harm.

“Harm!” laughed Trish in return.

Harm sat there shaking his head. His mother could be difficult at times, usually whenever he needed answers. Who was this little girl? Who was her mother? Why was she here?

A few minutes later Veronica came racing into the room jumping into his lap with a thud. Harm groaned. He wasn’t use to this, though he did like the idea of have a child who needed him.

Veronica squirmed around in his lap trying to get comfortable before she showed him the picture. He moaned again. It was a picture of him and Sarah in their gypsy costume when they were in Russia. Where in the world did she get this picture from he wondered?

“See, you look just like him.” explained Veronica as she pointed to the man in the picture.

“Mommy said he is my father and that some day he would come home to me.” explained Veronica. She looked up at him.

“Are you my father? Have you come home?” asked Veronica sweetly.

Harm really didn’t know how to answer those questions. The picture was definitely of him and Sarah. She said he was her father.

He couldn’t believe the way she looked at him with those beautiful brown eyes. She was looking at him the same way Sarah always looked at him when she wanted something. She was doing that funny little thing with her mouth too.

He shuddered for a moment with the realization he would never be able to refuse her anything. He had only known Veronica for only a few moments and he was already in love with her. She was so adorable. Then his brain began working again.

That meant ..... that ..... Sarah had to be her mother, but how? Then another thought came to his mind. If Sarah was Veronica’s mother, ..... and Veronica was here. ..... then where was Sarah? He looked over to his mother who just smiled with amusement as she watched his mind work out the answers.

He looked at Veronica and asked “Where is your mother?”

“Outside on the patio.” she replied. She was till waiting for an answer thought Harm.

“That does look like me in the picture, maybe I am your father.” replied Harm with a small smile.

“Yippee!” shouted Veronica as she stood up in Harm’s lap causing him to groan as her foot came very close to causing him intense pain. She gave him a big hug before leaping off his lap. He couldn’t believe her strength.

She grabbed his hand to pull him up to follow.

“She’s just like you Harm. She never sits still very long.” smiled Trish.

Harm rolled his eyes at that comment. He couldn’t remember ever having this much energy. Veronica ran ahead while Harm followed her out onto the porch.

“Mommy! Mommy! Daddy is here!” cried out Veronica.

Harm watched her run over to her mother. He expected her to jump into her lap, but he was surprised when she sat down very nicely on the side of the lounge chair with Sarah.

Sarah had been reading a novel so she hadn’t noticed the commotion going on inside the house.

“What baby?” asked Sarah as she pulled Veronica up into her lap. She gave her a hug and kiss.

“Daddy’s here! He came home! Just like you said he would!” exclaimed Veronica excitedly.

“Harm is here?” asked Sarah a bit surprise.

“Daddy!” replied Veronica as she pointed to Harm in the picture and then towards where Harm was standing.

Sarah’s breath caught in her throat. It had been over five years since she had seen him last. She had always expected this day would come, but now that it had, she was completely taken by surprise. What was she going to do?

She wasn’t wearing any makeup. Her hair must be a mess. She wasn’t exactly dressed to see him especially after five years. She was afraid to turn around and look. She was afraid of what she might see.

Meanwhile Harm stood there admiring the view. He loved the way Sarah and Veronica were interacting. They were so great together. He always knew she would be a great mother. Sarah was special. Any child would be privilege to have her as a mother.

She still looked so beautiful. She hadn’t aged a day in five years. He was afraid to say anything. He didn’t know what to say. He certainly didn’t want to say the wrong thing.

Harm walked over to where Sarah was sitting with Ronnie. Harm smiled at her before saying “Hello Sarah.”

Sarah brushed a hand through her hair nervously before responding

“Hi Harm, what are you doing here?”

But before Harm could respond Ronnie reached up to Harm and demanded “Up!”

“She must be a marine.” chuckled Harm as he picked Ronnie up and held her in his arms. “I thought it was time to come home and visit my mother. It has been five years since I last saw her.

I am surprise to see you here though. I have been looking for you since I returned from flying five years ago.” sighed Harm as he sat down in the chair next to Sarah.

“What are you doing here?”

Before Sarah could answer Ronnie piped up. “We live here Daddy. Grammy was lonely and needed company.” Harm looked at Sarah a little puzzled.

“I’m stationed at Miramar. Your mother asked us to stay with her and Frank. She likes spending time with Ronnie and Ronnie loves her.” replied Sarah.

“I love Grammy.” agreed Ronnie nodding.

“I can tell. I know she loves you. She waited twenty years for you.” smiled Harm as Ronnie looked at him bug eyed.

“I’ve only known you for thirty minutes and I already loved you.” smiled Harm as he gave her a hug.

“I love you too Daddy.” replied Ronnie as she cuddled closer to Harm.

Sarah looked on with a sense of pleasure. Indeed it had only been a short time and already Harm and Ronnie were bonding like they had spent years together. A tear came to her eye. Maybe there was hope for them yet.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Separation and Hope : part 12tomboone10:37:19 06/23/08 Mon
Separation and Hope : part 13tomboone13:12:58 06/24/08 Tue
Separation and Hope : part 14tomboone12:18:33 06/25/08 Wed
Separation and Hope : part 15tomboone12:14:05 06/26/08 Thu

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.